RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #57

Kurt-o-matic.... thank you. Well said.

I have nothing against Cloud Dancer but, my goodness, let it go.

Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #58

kurt-o-matic,
First of all, the Michelin video has somehow convinced many that the failed tire has a lot more potential traction than it does. It also neglects to mention the dynamic weight transfer that occurs whenever the diameter of one of the steer tires is suddenly shortened a significant amount. Nor does it explain how this weight transfer changes the potential traction of both front tires. It also does not mention the source of energy for the force that they say is introduced by the flat tire. Knowing the source of energy of the forces which are mentioned in this video is very important if a motorhome driver is trying to learn the proper procedures for dealing with the subject matter.
There is reason for me to suspect that the makers of this video might not have known the source of energy for these forces. BTW the front of the motorhome is NOT pulled to the side.
On the subject of welding the spindles to the axle, I had already thought about it EXCEPT that I thought about welding ONLY the spindle of the tire that fails, and leave the other spindle steerable. Then, blow out the tire on the welded steering, PLUS do NOT step on the accelerator pedal. This experiment would clearly show how little traction the failed tire has.
The other thing that this video shows is that it is NOT a recovery video. In this video there is no lose of control, not even for one second. A competent driver does not need to think about what to do with the steering wheel. He should simply react to what he feels the steering wheel is doing. After all, isn't that what a driver does when driving down the highway and all is normal? It just takes a fraction of one second to react to a feel of the steering wheel and make the corrective input. A front tire blows out, just keep driving (adding determination should come naturally). Don't worry, the power steering will not suddenly quit on you, unless you do something you shouldn't.
There's lots more to say. Later
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #59

My front blow out from 2014

I blew the right front steer tire on my 2008 Dutch Star with comfort drive. My coach has a tag axle. I wasn't towing my car. I had the cruise set at 65. The coach never pulled either direction. The steering wheel never jerked. I never felt like I didn't have complete control. It could have been the combination of the tag and comfort drive or just the comfort drive, I don't know. I consider comfort drive a big plus. This is the damage from the blow out. [ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	Joshua computer build 491.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	225148[/ATTACH]
SteveWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #60

blowout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWV View Post
I blew the right front steer tire on my 2008 Dutch Star with comfort drive. My coach has a tag axle. I wasn't towing my car. I had the cruise set at 65. The coach never pulled either direction. The steering wheel never jerked. I never felt like I didn't have complete control. It could have been the combination of the tag and comfort drive or just the comfort drive, I don't know. I consider comfort drive a big plus. This is the damage from the blow out. [ATTACH]Attachment 225148[/ATTACH]

We all have freedom to travel as we see fit, but as my wife,son, d-i-l and 18 month old grandbaby travel with me, saving 30 or 40 minutes pale in comparison. Cheers.
strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #61

Country Coach Owners Club
Nice, thoughtful discussion of the physics involved. I very much appreciate your sharing.
Mlfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #62

I had a blow out on the Rt Front on a 38 ft diesel pusher at 60 MPH towing a car. I had watched the videos on Utube. My first reaction was to maintain speed, the coach remained under control, I eased up on the accelerator slowly, as speed decreased I used the brakes lightly and coasted to the shoulder safely. I had 3 year old Michelin radials, I had checked the tire pressure before leaving on the trip. The tire dealer said the tire had been damaged, but was unable show me damage, said it could have happened anytime. I no longer use Michelin tires although I have had very good Michelin tires and some very poor.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #63

SteveWV,
Thank you for your excellent report. It's the first one of its kind (with Comfort Control plus photo to back it up). Your report supports several statements: (1) That the failed tire has significantly less potential traction than the inflated tire. (2) That if the transition of properly managing of the steering wheel before the blowout, to during the blowout, to after the blowout is SEAMLESS,...the driver will not lose control.
IMO it's VERY likely that the Comfort Control, due to its excellent design, helped you during the first 2 or 4 seconds of the blowout event. My communication with Ken Sherwin and the explanation of how the Comfort Control works, together with what I have experienced and have studied, have led me to make several conclusions on this subject.
Yes, there are many drivers who are as good as the "test pilots" in the blowout instructional videos, but I sure wouldn't mind having Comfort Control on my Dutch Star. You never know when a senior citizen might have a 3-second brain freeze.
(More to follow)
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #64

In 2015 I had a right front tire blow out my 2007 Georgetown class A 38í motorhome! First exit out of Florida on I-75 north!was going about 65 mph in the right hand lane pulling a Ford Flex! I just let off the gas and hesitated for a moment, then slowly applied the brakes and steered off to the right hand shoulder! Called AAA and they had a service truck with a new tire to me in an hour! I used my jacks to lift fr end! Tire guy installed new tire and I was on the road within 2&1/2 hours! ThanksAAA! All i had to pay for was the tire and a tip to the service guy who did a great job!
gmann55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlfiedler View Post
I'm a pretty green Newbie, but want to understand the world I've adopted. For the past week, I have been following the discussion of what's a comfortable cruise speed in a DP. What surprised me was the frequency of comments linking a lower cruise speed to more control in the event of a tire blowing out.

Surely, a blowout, whether on the steer axle or elsewhere, has got to be a scary, and harrowing event. And I sort of expect comments about blowouts in threads about tires aging-out before they wear-out, etc. But should I be bracing for a blowout anytime I find myself zooming down a mountain grade at more than 65 mph? I mean, understanding the possibilities is one thing, but must every trip be a white knuckle event?

I would like to hear the stories of any DP, or even Class C guys, who have had a blowout, anywhere on their rig. At the risk of being tedious, it would be great to know which corner of the rig had a blowout, where that misfortune took you (off the road? across 3 lanes of traffic? into the median?) and how the coach faired -- wheel well shattered, wet-bay and tanks busted apart, coach on its side somewhere you didn't choose -- surely it gets gruesome sometimes. What may have contributed to the problem: how old the tire was, was it a hot day, were your tires carefully inflated and monitored regularly, was the coach overloaded, did you hit a huge pothole or other "road hazard"? Where does this event fit in your experience as an RV'er -- how many miles have you driven the same coach before (or after) that, without another blowout?

This isn't a request for testimonials about Brand X tires that haven't let you down in 20 years. But looking for how many tires do blow out, and what may be ways to avoid adding to that score. Thanks for any input.

The year before I married my DH, he had a right front tire blow out while on a steel bridge, the class A, sucked into the side of the bridge, and he was unable to turn the wheel, the motorhome continued through the bridge and onto the gaurd rail until the last 20 to 30 feet of gaurd rail when it gave way and his motorhome and tow car went down into the ravine. Thank God, he was not hurt, but his motorhome and tow car were toast. It was such a steep drop off that the tow bar and car were pulled under the rear of the motorhome.
So blow outs can happen. Drive as safely as possible, but don't live in fear.
soberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlfiedler View Post
I'm a pretty green Newbie, but want to understand the world I've adopted. For the past week, I have been following the discussion of what's a comfortable cruise speed in a DP. What surprised me was the frequency of comments linking a lower cruise speed to more control in the event of a tire blowing out.

Surely, a blowout, whether on the steer axle or elsewhere, has got to be a scary, and harrowing event. And I sort of expect comments about blowouts in threads about tires aging-out before they wear-out, etc. But should I be bracing for a blowout anytime I find myself zooming down a mountain grade at more than 65 mph? I mean, understanding the possibilities is one thing, but must every trip be a white knuckle event?

I would like to hear the stories of any DP, or even Class C guys, who have had a blowout, anywhere on their rig. At the risk of being tedious, it would be great to know which corner of the rig had a blowout, where that misfortune took you (off the road? across 3 lanes of traffic? into the median?) and how the coach faired -- wheel well shattered, wet-bay and tanks busted apart, coach on its side somewhere you didn't choose -- surely it gets gruesome sometimes. What may have contributed to the problem: how old the tire was, was it a hot day, were your tires carefully inflated and monitored regularly, was the coach overloaded, did you hit a huge pothole or other "road hazard"? Where does this event fit in your experience as an RV'er -- how many miles have you driven the same coach before (or after) that, without another blowout?

This isn't a request for testimonials about Brand X tires that haven't let you down in 20 years. But looking for how many tires do blow out, and what may be ways to avoid adding to that score. Thanks for any input.

The year before I married my DH, he had a right front tire blow out while on a steel bridge, the class A, sucked into the side of the bridge, and he was unable to turn the wheel, the motorhome continued through the bridge and onto the gaurd rail until the last 20 to 30 feet of gaurd rail when it gave way and his motorhome and tow car went down into the ravine. Thank God, he was not hurt, but his motorhome and tow car were toast. It was such a steep drop off that the tow bar and car were pulled under the rear of the motorhome.
Had he not been on the bridge, I am sure he could have come to a safe stop at the side of the road.

So blow outs can happen. Drive as safely as possible, but don't live in fear.
soberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #67

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I was driving down the freeway minding my own business when I felt vibration. I pulled over at a rest stop check tires pressures in case TMS didnít work all good so I got back on freeway. I drove 15 to 20 miles then boom passenger from tire, I let it coast a little before hitting brakes and she with straight. Called roadside service 1:00 am on thanksgiving weekend 3 hours later and 1,500 dollars lighter I was back on road with a new tire, messed up wheel, and a messed up fender a 7 grand repair.

TPM will only warn of air loss not of belt separation. Have you read THIS post?