Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Tire Blowout, When & What Happened

I'm a pretty green Newbie, but want to understand the world I've adopted. For the past week, I have been following the discussion of what's a comfortable cruise speed in a DP. What surprised me was the frequency of comments linking a lower cruise speed to more control in the event of a tire blowing out.

Surely, a blowout, whether on the steer axle or elsewhere, has got to be a scary, and harrowing event. And I sort of expect comments about blowouts in threads about tires aging-out before they wear-out, etc. But should I be bracing for a blowout anytime I find myself zooming down a mountain grade at more than 65 mph? I mean, understanding the possibilities is one thing, but must every trip be a white knuckle event?

I would like to hear the stories of any DP, or even Class C guys, who have had a blowout, anywhere on their rig. At the risk of being tedious, it would be great to know which corner of the rig had a blowout, where that misfortune took you (off the road? across 3 lanes of traffic? into the median?) and how the coach faired -- wheel well shattered, wet-bay and tanks busted apart, coach on its side somewhere you didn't choose -- surely it gets gruesome sometimes. What may have contributed to the problem: how old the tire was, was it a hot day, were your tires carefully inflated and monitored regularly, was the coach overloaded, did you hit a huge pothole or other "road hazard"? Where does this event fit in your experience as an RV'er -- how many miles have you driven the same coach before (or after) that, without another blowout?

This isn't a request for testimonials about Brand X tires that haven't let you down in 20 years. But looking for how many tires do blow out, and what may be ways to avoid adding to that score. Thanks for any input.
Mlfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 05:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlfiedler View Post
But should I be bracing for a blowout anytime I find myself zooming down a mountain grade at more than 65 mph?
Well no matter what coach we'll ever drive, I guarantee you we WON'T be "zooming down a mountain grade at 65mph".

Here's a good link for safety:
RV Tire Safety: Blowout

Here's a recent story of a forum member:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/stee...ut-353688.html

Without everyone rehearsing their stories over and over again, here's a link from a simple search that should keep you busy for awhile:
https://www.google.com/search?q=blow...earch=irv2.com
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Having had two blowouts on the RR of a new to me 98 Beaver it was not a big deal as I do not jump from loud noises. Tires were 5 years old OEM GY so I had put two new ToYo on the front and one from the front on the back to replace a out of round tire.

After repairing a 1/4” airline I was able to limp a couple miles to a truck tire shop where they laughed at me when I asked if they had a tire in my size. I had the last laugh when I rolled the unmounted spare (the other front tire) off the roof. Total down time a little over an hour. Couple days later I found another used spare and put it around a vent in the middle of the roof. Couple weeks later had the same inside RR tire blow with much the same results. Once I got to OR I put 4 new ToYos on the rear.

I had weighed all 4 corners and aired to 5+ psi over what the chart said I needed. I had also jacked up each side on the rear and inspect each tire using a light and spun each side ...discovered one out of round.

For what it’s worth, I went 10 years on the rear of my 04 Dynasty before putting them on the back of my dump truck. I do replace front tires at 7 years IF I’ve put all the miles on them. I recently replaced 4 year old cracking Michelin on the front of my “new” ride. Why does anyone keeps buying overpriced cracking Michelin today ????
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #4

I had a left rear outside tire blow on a Monaco DP we owned many years ago. It was on I-90 around Missoula, Montana. Did a good bit of damage to the bay behind the wheel well. Made a lot of noise but no impact on handling that I remember. Just pulled off the interstate and called CoachNet to send someone out to repair/change it. They brought a new tire, mounted on the old rim and I was on my way. No problem and a reasonable price for the tire.

I don't remember how old the tires were and have no idea what caused the blowout.

I also had a steer tire blow out on a Class C once. That was when I was going about 2 MPH and turning into a gas station. The front right tire just went flat. It turned out to be a failed valve stem.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
With a bit of research, you can find many posts on blowouts. They will include some excellent advice and some absurd advice...you'll have to decide for yourself which is the best way to handle a front blowout.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #6

Back in the 80's I had bought a used gasser Class A. Had a front tire blow. No big deal, pulled over and put on the spare. Later in that trip, another front blew, no big deal either, but now I checked the tires and the PO had put on onse whose load range wasn't adequate for the weight of the MH. On another trip, I hit some type of debris in the road that took out both rear duals on the passenger side. Again, no problem with controlling the stop, pulled over, put on a spare and limped to the nearest tire shop to get replacements.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Michelin's video on how to handle RV tire blow outs :

Dash Cam video of RV front tire blow out and roll over :

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In a million and half plus miles of driving I've had one blow out I could have prevented. I know it was out of balance but was nearly worn out.
Proper inflation, and regular inspection will prevent 99% of tire problems.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:18 PM   #9

I don't need to be called "expert" to say that there are several misleading statements which are made in both videos. First of all, a force that pulls the front of a motorhome to the side of the blowout can NOT appear out of nowhere. Also, there is only ONE steering system which is designed into the motorhome for the purpose of steering the motorhome. Therefore, either the driver uses the steering wheel to properly steer the motorhome, OR it could be that the driver immediately becomes incapacitated and does NOT steer the motorhome. And, if the steering wheel is unattended, the rolling resistance of the failed tire will easily steer the motorhome to the side of the failed tire.
Another thing is that in the second video, there is NO indication that the steering wheel was turned to the side which just about any driver would intuitively turn. Also, if the driver somehow turned the left turn-signal light on, it would suggest that the driver inadvertently turned LEFT. In other words, if your hands are on the steering wheel and you inadvertently trip the signal light lever it would be in the direction of the turning motion.
There's much more that has been said previously about this subject. My position is that what, and how quickly, you do with the steering wheel is the single-most, life-saving action that you can perform. All the videos show that you must NOT leave the pavement, because there is much less traction OFF the pavement.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:06 AM   #10

The Michelin video CLEARLY shows that the motorhome is definitely steerable, by the driver, in ALL phases of the blowout event. This makes sense to me, even with only one normally inflated steer tire. I know from my experience, and from hearing tire experts talk about it, that the inflated tire has MORE potential TRACTION than the flat/uninflated failed tire. Yet, the narrator makes a big thing about the need to put your foot on the accelerator and to increase the power. Personally, this part(accelerator) does NOT make sense to me. What I think is very important is to NOT apply ANY of the brakes, not even the engine exhaust brake nor the "jake brake" nor the service brakes. That's the reason I do NOT cruise with my engine exhaust brake in the "ON" position. I use the cruise control whenever I'm cruising on the open road(highway). What I notice in the Michelin video, and other instructional videos, is that the motorhome is very steerable WITH the steering wheel, even with a front FAILED tire, at all speeds (cruise speed, accelerating, and slowing down), as long as you stay ON the pavement. So, it needs to be explained exactly why you need "a short burst of power". Personally, I do NOT believe it's necessary in order to be able to steer the vehicle. This is important to me, because it's a lot more likely for the driver to STEER with the steering wheel than to "introduce a burst of power". OF COURSE, everyone is careful to say that the safe operation of the vehicle is the responsibility of the driver. IMO in today's world, I do NOT believe that Michelin tire will document the proper procedure for dealing with a front steer tire blowout.
Another thing I notice in the second video is that the motorhome suddenly leans to the side AWAY from the failed tire. I believe this is caused by centrifugal force, which indicates that the steer tires were actually suddenly turned a little bit to the left side. By definition, the driver, for some reason, LOST control of the motorhome.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:10 AM   #11

I remember when this video was first released and I watched in slow motion many times. The original video had a wider angle view than the one shown here.

In the original video, if you watch where the motorhome is in the center island, right before the motorhome starts to flip, you will see the guard-wire snap the ground causing a dust cloud. I believe that the wire got tangled up under the motorhome causing it to flip.

I know it will be hard to think about pressing the accelerator pedal in that moment of a blowout. I see where it makes sense but doing it is another thing all together.

Our coach drives so smoothly it's easy to want to use just one hand. But, I keep both hands on the wheel 'just in case' for safety. I've never had a blow-out and I sure hope that I just didn't jinx myself!

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:06 AM   #12

I have been present for at least three blow outs. Only one was on my own rv. Older tires were to blame in my case. We were going through rolling hills in New Brunswick Canada, and I let the speeds get up around 70 or more going down the rollers. My outside rear tire blew. No big deal, had a spare. Another time was very similar in a friends rv. The rear tire blew. The third one was a different friends rv, and we hit a piece of driveshaft on the road after dark and didnt see it. It blew the front drivers side tire. We maintained control, and stayed on the pavement until almost stopped. Other than the loud bang, all three events were not that scary. The cost of replacing the tires were the most scary. Im sure if any of these happened on a mountain road, or someplace more dangerous, it could have been different. My previous coach had some damage to the rear wheel well from the previous owner having a blow out.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #13

If anyone of us were to experience a front steer tire blowout, and we ended up losing control, causing a major accident with fatalities,....why would we make a detailed truthful report on this, or any forum? Wouldn't there be legal entanglements? Wouldn't you choose to say NOTHING?
Any of the videos that I've seen, where there is loss of control plus accident, I can analytically conclude that the driver FAILED to perform instantly the correct first three steps.
Also, why would you first put your foot on the accelerator pedal, AND depress. Is it because someone said it was the correct thing to do, or did they actually offer a scientific/analytical explanation? I've never heard a proper explanation for it, nor have I seen it in writing. And, I'm not aware of anyone offering an explanation for how important it is to NOT allow the engine exhaust brake or "jake" brake to activate. Nor have a seen where anyone has stressed how important it is to keep the engine running above idle speed so that you always have the full power of the power steering. THere's more, but you get my drift.
IMO if I'm driving my Dutch Star/Spartan, and a front tire blows, the worst part will be the inconvenience and cost of dealing with the damage done by the flailing failed tire.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
If anyone of us were to experience a front steer tire blowout, and we ended up losing control, causing a major accident with fatalities,....why would we make a detailed truthful report on this, or any forum? Wouldn't there be legal entanglements? Wouldn't you choose to say NOTHING?
Any of the videos that I've seen, where there is loss of control plus accident, I can analytically conclude that the driver FAILED to perform instantly the correct first three steps.
Also, why would you first put your foot on the accelerator pedal, AND depress. Is it because someone said it was the correct thing to do, or did they actually offer a scientific/analytical explanation? I've never heard a proper explanation for it, nor have I seen it in writing. And, I'm not aware of anyone offering an explanation for how important it is to NOT allow the engine exhaust brake or "jake" brake to activate. Nor have a seen where anyone has stressed how important it is to keep the engine running above idle speed so that you always have the full power of the power steering. THere's more, but you get my drift.
IMO if I'm driving my Dutch Star/Spartan, and a front tire blows, the worst part will be the inconvenience and cost of dealing with the damage done by the flailing failed tire.
I thought the Michelin video above explained the dynamics pretty well of why to apply throttle. Made perfect sense to me. I can't speak to the exhaust brake, and as I recall that wasn't addressed in their video. You can do as you wish, but found it to be a pretty good instructional video.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote