Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2020, 08:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Tire cleaning

Newbie here. I just watched RV Geeks video on Motorhome tire care. One aspect they emphasized to optimize tire life is keeping the Tires clean. They recommend a product like Aero 303. My question is how does one clean dually tires between the two? Any tips from you seasoned RVers? I suppose to clean the inside and between duallys, you “simply” have to climb underneath and put your elbows into it. I put simply in quotes because at my age, crawling under the Motorhome is doable, but hardly simple.

Doug,
Amarillo, TX
W5WTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2020, 09:24 PM   #2

I've never heard a tire pro say that any compound you put on the outside of a tire will prolong it's life. I've heard them say it'll do more harm then good tho.

In 16 years of full timing, I've read a lot of threads on tires and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone bothering to put a tire salve on the inside tires in a dually set.

So, I'd say don't bother.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #3

The 303 Protectant acts like a sunscreen for the tires. It is only required on the outside wall of the outside tires. The inside tires don’t get any direct sun exposure so it is not needed on them.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:13 AM   #4

Michelin (and other rubber product manufacturers) say to use plain soap and water.

As stated 303 is a UV protectant that does not contain the FORBIDDEN petrochemicals that dry out rubber (but they do make them look shiny while they kill the sidewalls).
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #5

In my short 28 years with a motorhome, all I have done is to wash the tires when I wash the coach and cover them if they will be exposed to the sun for an extended period of time. No 303 or other treatment. Seems to have worked for me.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
One aspect they emphasized to optimize tire life is keeping the Tires clean.
Another bit of overhyped fact, in my opinion. Yes, accumulated road oils can, in some few cases, react with the chemicals in the tire that reduce aging and UV damage. Washing the tires with soap and water [along with the rest of the vehicle] can help prevent that. However, failure to wash the tires thoroughly every week is unlikely to have any noticeable effect on tire longevity or performance. RV tires are no different than car tires in this regard, so you don't need to take any special precautions just because its an RV.

Quote:
They recommend a product like Aero 303.
303 is a UV blocker, not a cleaner. If you want to clean the tires, use the same detergent you use to wash the vehicle.

From the MichelinRV Tire booklet:

Quote:

PROPER CLEANING OF RV TIRES

Proper cleaning of tires is important to obtain the maximum years of service. Road oil will cause deterioration of rubber, and dirt buildup will hold contaminants next to the tire. A soft brush and mild car wash soap is the best way to clean tires. If a dressing product is used on a tire sidewall, use extra care and caution. Tire dressings that contain petroleum products, alcohol, or silicones may cause premature aging and sidewall cracking. In many cases, it is not the dressing product itself that can be a problem, but rather, the chemical reaction that the product can have with the antioxidant waxes found in the tire. Heat can add to this negative reaction. When these same dressing products are applied to a passenger car tire that is replaced every three or four years, it is rare to see a problem. However, since Recreational Vehicle tires usually last much longer, there is more time for a chemical reaction to occur
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks everyone

Thanks to all who contributed to my post. All good information and discussion which is much appreciated. The consensus appears to be that cleaning with soap and water is adequate. And, the Michelin information also suggest cleaning is to some degree important. All good info. However, my reason for posting was to solicit tips for how to physically clean the inside tire surfaces and the surfaces between rear dually's. The point that Aero 303 is a UV protector and therefor only really applies to outside or exposed surfaces makes sense. But the other surfaces are subject to dirt, road oils and other contaminates. I guess there is no easy ticket here. Just a matter of crawling under the rig and cleaning what needs to be cleaned.

Again, thanks for the discussion. I have found IRV2 and enjoyable forum and particularly appreciate that Newbie's like myself are not flamed for asking questions.

Warm Regards to All,
Doug,
Amarillo, TX
W5WTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #8

[QUOTE=W5WTX;5145291] But the other surfaces are subject to dirt, road oils and other contaminates. I guess there is no easy ticket here. Just a matter of crawling under the rig and cleaning what needs to be cleaned.

Again, thanks for the discussion. I have found IRV2 and enjoyable forum and particularly appreciate that Newbie's like myself are not flamed for asking questions.[QUOTE]

FWIW, I have never done it nor have I ever heard of anyone trying to clean the inner sidewalls of their MH tires. This is extreme and unlikely to anything to increase the life of a tire.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #9

If you like to clean what shows on tires you should. I know I do when I wash the coach. I also like the look of 303 as tire dressing after I've washed the coach. But I am under no illusion washing the tires or the use of 303 will make them last any longer than if I did nothing. It's just a preference.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Another bit of overhyped fact, in my opinion. Yes, accumulated road oils can, in some few cases, react with the chemicals in the tire that reduce aging and UV damage. Washing the tires with soap and water [along with the rest of the vehicle] can help prevent that. However, failure to wash the tires thoroughly every week is unlikely to have any noticeable effect on tire longevity or performance. RV tires are no different than car tires in this regard, so you don't need to take any special precautions just because its an RV.

303 is a UV blocker, not a cleaner. If you want to clean the tires, use the same detergent you use to wash the vehicle.

From the MichelinRV Tire booklet:
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote