Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #1

Tire comparrisons

Looking to purchase tires for my Georgetown 378
I would like others review and opinions on different tires and manufacturers.
First question: Which brand did you go with and why?
Second: I have Michelin 255/80 22.5" XRV, I really like them.
My tires shop said I may want to consider the Michelin 255/70 22.5" XZE.
Third question: Has anybody changed the width from 255 to 265 or 275?
I am looking for things like ride, comfort, handling and noise reviews. I have done searches on tires that would keep the circumference the same with different width tires as well.
Please keep it to simple answers if you can. Just looking for reviews.
Thanks
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
Looking to purchase tires for my Georgetown 378
I would like others review and opinions on different tires and manufacturers.
First question: Which brand did you go with and why?
Second: I have Michelin 255/80 22.5" XRV, I really like them.
My tires shop said I may want to consider the Michelin 255/70 22.5" XZE.
Third question: Has anybody changed the width from 255 to 265 or 275?
I am looking for things like ride, comfort, handling and noise reviews. I have done searches on tires that would keep the circumference the same with different width tires as well.
Please keep it to simple answers if you can. Just looking for reviews.
Thanks
I would stay with what you "really like". You can most likely buy almost any other brand cheaper, but the XRV line was designed for RV use and other Michelin models will not ride the same. As for changing sizes, unless other size provides some additional weight carrying capacity that you really need, I would NOT mess with changing the size, which MAY also require you to change the wheels for proper mounting requirements. Bottom line = pay more and STAY happy.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Decrepit Forum Advocate

As you might know from reading threads pertaining to tires on iRV2 and other RV forums, many of us replaced our OEM Michelins with Toyo. Toyo is probably the most popular replacement brand but I also like Yokohama, Sumitomo, and Hankook. I've always been partial to tires from these and other Japanese-based manufacturers and more recently, South Korean manufacturers like Hankook.

Just because they're tires from Japanese companies, it doesn't mean that is where they are made. They can be made in a variety of locations around the world. Yokohama now makes just about all their commercial truck tires at their plant in Mississippi. Sumitomo is also transitioning to making their commercial truck tires in the U.S.

We've often had heated arguments through the years on this forum over Michelin vs non-Michelin brands. Many of us don't believe in paying the premium prices for Michelins. Some, however, believe only buying Michelin and strongly believe that any other brand is putting their family at risk ...in other words, Michelin is the only tire that is safe. I call B.S. on that.

But back to your situation ...like I say, Toyo seems to be the most popular brand to replace the OEM Michelins. If you do a search on this forum, you'll see that many are very happy with Toyo. Toyo was the OEM tire for Monaco coaches for awhile.

The 255/80R 22.5 is proprietary to Michelin. The closest size will be 265/75R22.5

Toyo M154 is what most will use to replace their OEM Michelins. Toyo M154 in 265/75R22.5 is highly recommended and you'll save a lot of money compared to buying Michelins again.

Toyo M154 description
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:12 AM   #4

It sounds like you are ok with Michelins. I doubt that you would notice any ride quality differences between their models. FWIW, I was happy with the Michelins on our coach till the cracking persisted. It was not serious cracking, but I replaced them with Toyo M144's anyway. I saved over $300/ tire ($2500 total savings). The tread is nearly 20% deeper with a higher speed rating. The first thing my wife noticed was the improved ride of the Toyo's. You could say I'm happier with my Toyo's.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:52 PM   #5

I just went with Sailuns. Not as expensive, yet good ratings. The jury is out but so far so good.
Stickmanyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:03 AM   #6

I just had the steer tires replaced due to their age. Originals were Michelin X Coach in 295/80 R22.5. I stayed with the same size in the X Coach HLZ. The new tires have a higher weight rating. I was not expecting any change, but the new tires are quieter and smoother than the originals.

I considered all the other brands, but I did not see anything compelling me to set aside my preference for Michelin. The tires I purchased were manufactured in Germany.

Changing the tire size may be something you wish to discuss with your motorhome's manufacturer first.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:52 AM   #7

After reading reviews and then talking to the owner of a local trucking company (where my rig is stored), I decided to go with Toyo tires when I replaced the OEM tires last summer. After 4K miles or more, I'm very happy with the Toyo tires and they were certainly a lot less costly than Michelins.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If you like your Michelin 255/80R22.5's, why change? You can buy good tires for less money, but you seem to like the Michelin XRV.

You should not change tire size without some specific goal in mind. "Maybe I'll like it better" isn't sufficient, in my opinion. Wider or lower or taller isn't automatically better in any way.

Why is your tire shop recommending the smaller 255/70? That tire will have a slightly smaller rolling circumference and therefore make more revs/mile. That creates inaccuracy in the speedometer and odometer. What do you gain by that?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote