Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My coach came with 3M coating on the front. Diamond Shield was not available until 2007. I just returned from the factory where they fixed all the pits and nicked places and repainted. They recommended installation of Diamond Shield for $1,200 with a 3 year warranty. A friend of mine, who has a 2008 coach, has had the Diamond shield replaced twice in the last year with the front of the coach having to be repainted. Others in the campground we discussed the issue with while we were waiting on completion of the work, all had negative comments about the durability and discoloration of the Diamond Shield. I opted for a custom made bra for the coach. I keep it clean and waxed underneath the bra and only have it on when traveling. The bugs are easy to get off of it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #16

Jim: Are you saying that you DO have the 3M Shield, and they CAN fix dings and patch the 3M shield? If so, how?
Guess why I ask....

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jeff,

They did the work at the Tiffin Service Center in Red Bay, Alabama. I was told that the 3M Shield is a coating over the paint whereas Diamond Shield is film that is applied over the paint. When they finished it looked brand new and I can not tell any difference other than the nicks and chips are gone.

Noticed your call sign. Way back in high school I was KN4BON. I did not keep it up. The uncle that got me interested during my high school years still has his W4WGV tag on his car. Those old numbers are getting more rare every day. He turned 82 last month.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">was told that the 3M Shield is a coating over the paint whereas Diamond Shield is film that is applied over the paint </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Either they were not talking about 3M film, or they were blowing strange smoke...

The complete name for 3M is "3M Scotchguard Paint Protection Film." It definitely is a film that is applied over the paint, and the film has a thin layer of automotive type clear-coat on it so it can be waxed just as clear coat paint can be. From what I have seen of 3M and Diamond Shield, they look pretty much the same when new. From what I am hearing on this and other forums, 3M seems to stand up better over time without yellowing, etc.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">they were blowing strange smoke... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do I feel a cool breeze?

All I know about paint is that it comes in cans and it makes a mess if you drop one without the lid on it. All I can tell you is it looks again like it did when I bought it.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the 3M film. After 15,000 miles it is generally still in good shape. There are several rock chips that went all the way through and some stains from bug guts. Otherwise, it is doing its' job.

We live in the desert Southwest so the sun is out with maximum intensity &gt; 320 days a year. That makes for a lot of UV exposure. I have covers to help lower the UV exposure. Nothing short of a hermetic seal would keep ozone out so why bother with that? UV is a worse issue out here than ozone so I will pick my battles.

I prefer the 3M clear fim look to the brown or black bra or to the plexiglass armor on some coaches.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #21

Where would I be able to purchase a bra for my 2004 Phaeton? Thanks.
John Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote