Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2021, 07:42 AM   #1

Tire cut in Front Tire- Ok or Replace?

Hi, posted this on the Winnie Owners Forums. Someone suggested I post it here also.

Brought the coach home from storage before taking it on a 3,500 mile round trip out West. Washed it and when I got to the tires I noticed a cut in the front Right Tire. Cut is about 1/16" deep, not leaking any air. Leaving in about 5 days and not sure if I should just watch it to see if it gets any bigger or deeper or if I need to replace it. If I do, I need to find someone fast that has the tires in stock and switch it out too. Guess I would probably need both fronts to keep them matched. Coach is a 2016 Itasca 35G that I bought used. Tires are probably original. Has about 25,000 miles on it.

Guess I am looking for an educated opinion on whether it might be ok for awhile.
Also the tires have a 2014 DOT date, so they are due for replacement.
Been calling around for replacements. Everyone is out of stock and can't get till after we leave on 8/30. Would like to switch to the TOYO's if possible. May see if I can find them down the road somewhere. Will keep a close look on it.
Looks like the Toyo size would be 245/75/22.5 in the M154's to replace the Michelin 235/80/22.5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	210824-Itasca Tire cut 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	340912   Click image for larger version

Name:	210824-Itasca Tire cut 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	340913  

CarlinCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2021, 07:53 AM   #2

It's hard to judge from a picture but I'd say your sidewall looks just fine to me. You should see the sidewalls on my Jeep! 2014 is getting close especially for steerers. I'd run it by a tire shop I trust and get their opinion. They see way more tires than we do.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:00 AM   #3

Being the age of the tires and the fact it's on the front I would replace both fronts now just for peace of mind.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:04 AM   #4

The cut at a minimum weakens the sidewall, to what degree is unknown, but I would not risk it especially when the tires are nearing their expiration date. Play it safe a blow out would be much more costly than a couple of tires.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:06 AM   #5

When I have had cuts, shops have always said that if the cords are not showing you are fine.

HOWEVER, I agree with craig, based on the age of the tires, I myself would replace, especially for steers.

If tireman sees this, he will likely comment.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:15 AM   #6

I ran one with a bigger cut for 3 years. It wasn't opened up like yours but in the rt position I could see cord. Get an opinion at a few tire shops. I have to admit, I thought about it every minute while I drove. Peace of mind is of value as well.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
When I have had cuts, shops have always said that if the cords are not showing you are fine.
I agree, the rubber in the sidewall doesn't add any appreciable strength to the tire, it's the cords that provide strength. I also agree that at 7 years old the tires are getting a little long in the tooth. Your decision.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
I ran one with a bigger cut for 3 years. It wasn't opened up like yours but in the rt position I could see cord. Get an opinion at a few tire shops. I have to admit, I thought about it every minute while I drove. Peace of mind is of value as well.
Yeah, driving these things already require a higher level of concentration. This will just be one more thing on my mind while driving.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I agree, the rubber in the sidewall doesn't add any appreciable strength to the tire, it's the cords that provide strength. I also agree that at 7 years old the tires are getting a little long in the tooth. Your decision.
I really can't see any cords showing. If I could find the tires in stock before we leave I would probably get all of them changed out. But can't find anywhere in Cleveland. Looks like from opinions here and on the other forum, I will probably head down the road hoping I can find a set somewhere along the way. I sent the pics to a local Truck Tire dealer. He's kind of 50/50 on it. Thought about moving it to the rear and moving one of the rears to the front, but he was concerned that dismounting and mounting the tire on the different rims might stress the tire even more and possibly cause more damage.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:40 AM   #10

Put spare on, use as a spare.. order tires asap.. estimate where you will be when they come in.. have them put on there.. but get spare down.. and put it on for now.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 08-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlinCLE View Post
I really can't see any cords showing. If I could find the tires in stock before we leave I would probably get all of them changed out. But can't find anywhere in Cleveland. Looks like from opinions here and on the other forum, I will probably head down the road hoping I can find a set somewhere along the way. I sent the pics to a local Truck Tire dealer. He's kind of 50/50 on it. Thought about moving it to the rear and moving one of the rears to the front, but he was concerned that dismounting and mounting the tire on the different rims might stress the tire even more and possibly cause more damage.
You should not have to mount/dismount the tires from the rims to sway a front with an outside rear dually. You may have to switch valve stems or get adapters, however. Swapping with an outside rear was my first thought as I read through your thread.

As to mounting the spare? There are very few class A owners who carry a spare.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
You should not have to mount/dismount the tires from the rims to sway a front with an outside rear dually. You may have to switch valve stems or get adapters, however. Swapping with an outside rear was my first thought as I read through your thread.

As to mounting the spare? There are very few class A owners who carry a spare.
Yep, no spare. Not sure I'm following you on the switch. The rear outside of the dually is a really deep dish rim. The front rim actually bulges out from the coach. Not sure how you'd switch without changing rims. Unless the inside rim of the dually is the same as the front.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #13

I can't switch wheels front to rear on my coach. Maybe you can. If it was mine and 7 years old, for more POM, I would have a shop dismount and switch it with a rear tire. I've never herd of damaging a tire from mounting and dismounting. I've done it myself when a front tire showed excessive wear from mis-alignment. I'm inclined to agree that the cut won't affect the tire integrity, but I'd rather have in on the rear.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlinCLE View Post
Yep, no spare. Not sure I'm following you on the switch. The rear outside of the dually is a really deep dish rim. The front rim actually bulges out from the coach. Not sure how you'd switch without changing rims. Unless the inside rim of the dually is the same as the front.
My wheels are the same. The rear is simply reversed. If the tires are the same size, front and rear, then the wheels are usually the same. Since you mentioned the tire company remounting the rear to the front, it was assumed the rear wheel was the same size as the front as well. Some dually trucks have larger/wider rear wheels, but my observations on class A motorhomes is the aluminum wheels are reversible and interchangeable.

You should be able to read the part no. on the wheels and determine if they are the same.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, tire