Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tire dates

I'm going to look at a 96 safari, just wanted to know what the code was for tire date of manufacture.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
It's a four digit number on the sidewall...first 2 digits indicate year, second two; week of manufacture. I'm sure I've seen pictures in other threads here....do a search of tire dates.

*** Read my correction below....got this one backwards***
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRon View Post
It's a four digit number on the sidewall...first 2 digits indicate year, second two; week of manufacture. I'm sure I've seen pictures in other threads here....do a search of tire dates.
It will have DOT in fron t of them also.
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Actually I got it backwards (thinking too quickly I guess). The correct answer is first 2 digits are the week of manufacture, second two the year. Sorry
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
But there are tires still out there with only three numbers which idcates the tire was made prior to 2000. Ask me how I know....

My four number tires to replace the three numbered ones on my MH arrive tomorrow!!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the help, I was hoping they were on the outside, not the inside of the tire, it's got 42k on it , I am sure the tires have been replaced once at least.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Thanks for the help, I was hoping they were on the outside, not the inside of the tire, it's got 42k on it , I am sure the tires have been replaced once at least.
Don't bet the farm on them being replaced, my 11 year old MH still had the OEM tires on it and the big time nationwide dealer ship I bought from did not say a word to me, it was reading here at IRV2 that turned me on to Tire Ageing issues. Know what is on the MH before you purchase and use that info to make your deal a better one rather then a after purchase expense you did not expect.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Dave: the date code is the last 3 OR 4 digits on the line that begins with "DOT". Most tires have this line item molded on only one side however, there is nothing about the tire mounting process that assures which side of the tire will be inside, or outside. Can you imagine the frustration an owner may experience if the date codes are facing each other on the rear duals? I've had owners swear their tires do not have date codes on them because of this. Good luck reading yours!
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Dave: the date code is the last 3 OR 4 digits on the line that begins with "DOT". Most tires have this line item molded on only one side however, there is nothing about the tire mounting process that assures which side of the tire will be inside, or outside. Can you imagine the frustration an owner may experience if the date codes are facing each other on the rear duals? I've had owners swear their tires do not have date codes on them because of this. Good luck reading yours!
Ed
Isn't it strange that the tires get mounted so you can't see the codes!! I had six new tires mounted last year and the date codes are all the the inside. Luckily I looked at them before they were mounted on the rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Isn't it strange that the tires get mounted so you can't see the codes!! I had six new tires mounted last year and the date codes are all the the inside. Luckily I looked at them before they were mounted on the rig.
Yes, one might think it was deliberate, but I doubt the guy mounting the tire onto the rim even gives this problem a thought!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #11

The spare tire on my HR Imperial 33 foot with tag axle is original the date code is 1992, the same the MH was manufactured. The tire has lived in an enclosed compartment on the back of the MH. It looks perfect and has 55 pounds of air (I usually run 70 pounds). Can I use it as an outside tire on my duals so I can keep an eye on it? Other tires were manufactured in 2007 and all of them except the inner duals have some weather checking. Three of the tires may need to be replaced as my tire dealer thinks they are bad enough to be replaced, I think he is a little conservative but I am going to do it. But what about using the spare? Should I or not?
Michael
mmcl26554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #12

You don't say what size, I'm guessing either 16 or perhaps 19.5" ( not the most expensive size by far )...... but regardless, I cannot recommend you begin to use an almost 20 year old tire for every day service. The cost savings from attempting this "every day" use of that old tire just isn't worth the risk, IMO.

I suggest you air it up to the max PSI shown on the sidewall and LEAVE it as your "protected" spare. Buying 4 NEW tires that match would give you peace of mind you just won't have with that "oldie but goodie" on the ground. Safe travels!
Ed
Old 09-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #13

235/85-16 Sorry I neglected to state the size. Also the spare has never been on the ground even still has the mold nipples on it.

edgray, your advice is well taken, thanks.
mmcl26554 is offline   Reply With Quote