Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 06:26 PM   #1

Tire Event

Just want to share a tire event I experienced this week.

Cruising down the eastern side of Colorado last Monday, I suddenly heard/felt a clunk. I immediately disabled the cruise control, hit the 4-way flashers and slowed and stopped on the shoulder.

All the tires were inflated properly and I saw no damage. Starting off again, I definitely still had a vibration. Driving a few more miles, slowly, I came to the small town of Campo, CO. I checked the air pressure again. Still perfect. Saw no damage. Started off, still a vibration.

At the other end of town I saw a road service vehicle working on a 18-wheeler. I talked to the tech and asked “where is a tire shop”. He pointed over his shoulder. I had ended up in front of small truck stop/tire shop.

I went in and talk with the folks. They had a couple of the right size tires. I wanted all six replaced. One bad, I didn’t want to worry about the others. I asked if they could get six tires the next day. They could.

So I drycamped in the city park that night. Next day, the tires arrived and by 3 p.m. I was on my way.

Unfortunately, they got in a hurry to get to lunch so when I checked the tire pressure the next day one tire showed 0 pressure. The valve extender was badly crimped.

So, I called the road service I’d met the first day. A quick trip and few more bucks everything was fine.

All in all. A misadventure, but my total cost was less than $1800 for six tires including the road service call the next day.

Just thought I’d share. Glad I drive at 62 and reacted quickly. No damage from the shredded tread. I’ll try to attach a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3E589C6-ED04-4999-A186-A75FC03A2D50.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	344997  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 08:20 PM   #2

Glad you got away relatively unscathed .

Do you happen to have the age info off the old tires ?
Old 10-03-2021, 08:53 PM   #3

The tires were approximately 5 years old. 28,500 miles. Never sat more 45 days at one time. First tire problem in 25 years of RVing. All told, worked out well for me.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:54 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
What brand of tire?
Old 10-04-2021, 05:55 AM   #5

My motorhome is a 2017 Winnebago Vista 32YE.

The old tires were the OEM Goodyear G470(?) RV Tires.

The new tires are Double Coin RT 600. Made in Thailand. 245/70R19.5. Load Range H

The only difference is the steering seems a bit lighter.

At first the ride quality was a bit rougher. This smoothed out as I drove on the new tires longer. After 500 miles back to the house the ride quality is the same as before. I had this rough-at-first phenomenon on my car with it’s new set of tires.

Safe travels to everyone
Old 10-04-2021, 06:18 AM   #6

You're lucky. Mine completely blew, shredded and took out the side radiator. $$$$

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, vent