Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #1

Tire help

Just bought a 98 HR Vacationer with 16 in wheels.
It has LT 235/85R /16 tires load range B
these tires are LT and the max load ratings are far below the weight of the vehicle. Ford chassis weight is 18 K and the max GVWR is 24 K.
The tires size is correct according to the manual.
Can anyone tell me what 16 in tire in that size I need to bring the weight rating up? 16 inch rims seem small for a 34 ft coach.
LT tires are for my PU truck!
ronwaldrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello Ron and . We are glad to have you join us and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
Look on the data tag for axle and tire specifications and get the load range up to "E" or better for the weight carrying capacity to handle the coach's weight.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #3

ron what is the front and rear weight by the tag (this will only get you in the ballpark) i also have the same size tires mine is right at 5000# front (weighed on scales) i went with load range "E" on front (BF Goodrich Commercial) at sam's club on rear i weigh just under 8200# i went with "F" just to be sure and got a good deal. that said do some reading on how to tell the date the tire was made.
i have never lost a front tire (pray i never do) but i have lost a rear at 65 mph pulling a 4 door truck, it wasnt fun but i got lucky all i tore up was the mud flap. im gld the black,gray tanks ,plumbimg,ect... were ok.
dave
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
my rv requires LR E at 14050 lbs. i would thing G rated would be right for yours. check out the load/pressure tables for your size tires vs the max axle weights for your rig.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #5

My rig is 7 k on the front axle and 12K on the rear.
The current tires are not up to snuff. If it was just a little under I would not be concerned but 2k on the front and 6 k on the rear is just too much. That is risking a catastrophic blow out. And that is just the chassis weight. Any way you look at it.......I need better tires and I am continuing to do research on them.
I was mainly concerned about the LT designation on the tire.
Thanks to all for the info.........
ronwaldrep is offline   Reply With Quote