Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2022, 06:25 PM   #1

Tire help!

Hello all, my wife and I bought an early model 2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q last year, low mileage and great condition. The tires were in great shape and I was planning on getting new tires next spring as we just have a relatively short (mile wise, but covering 2 months) trip this fall. I called to set up a time for our NC state inspection today. They asked a few questions, one being the tire age. I knew from our RV inspection (thanks Todd Foster of Fostering The Dream!) that they were 2014 date codes on all tires, originals obviously. Apparently in NC the front tire have to be less than 7 years old to pass inspection, 8 years on the rear. This coach came with the Michelin XRV 255/80R22.5 G-Rated tires. After half the day on the phone I'm extremely frustrated. I haven’t been able to find this tire in stock anywhere so far. I asked a truck/RV tire shop that we've used for rotations and front end alignment and they can only install the same size tire legally, and of course the Michelin makes the ONLY tire in that size. I tried a tire calculator to see if there were alternatives that I could find in stock, and hopefully cheaper than the $700 per Michelins. Nothing I can find. I asked a grumpy employee at NC State Inspection, who was no help and showed no empathy, if maybe we could get an extension so that we could get our coach legal for our upcoming trip. She made it clear that we couldn’t get it inspected until it would pass. I was also concerned that even if I found a set of 6 that the date codes wouldn’t already be older. I finally talked to Tire Rack and ‘ordered' a set but they only say they might get some in early September, but that’s no guarantee. He did say the last ones that just went out were manufactured in 2021, so that’s good. If I can’t locate another source, it looks like I'll have to start canceling reservations, the first starting September 24th. Does anyone know of a replacement size they have used? I even called Winnebago and they referred me to Ford of course. Tomorrow I will call Ford and also start going to all the truck tire shops around Asheville and see if anyone has any Michelins hiding in a corner somewhere!

Thanks for any and all input in advance.
jhartnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2022, 06:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went through a similar headache last year on our Vista, XRV Tires size 235/80 R22.5, another Michelin only size. For the same supply issues you noted, I ended up working with the Tire store and going to Bridgestone R268 Ecopia’s, sized 245/75 R22.5. Significantly cheaper and the size difference was pretty minimal so speedometer is still pretty spot on. Ride quality has been excellent, I’m happy with the purchase.

I’d highly suggest looking at a different brand in a similar and more common size, your tire shop should be able to help with the conversion. While I went Bridgestone, MANY on this forum have switched to Toyo and love them.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartnc View Post
Hello all, my wife and I bought an early model 2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q last year, low mileage and great condition. The tires were in great shape and I was planning on getting new tires next spring as we just have a relatively short (mile wise, but covering 2 months) trip this fall. I called to set up a time for our NC state inspection today. They asked a few questions, one being the tire age. I knew from our RV inspection (thanks Todd Foster of Fostering The Dream!) that they were 2014 date codes on all tires, originals obviously. Apparently in NC the front tire have to be less than 7 years old to pass inspection, 8 years on the rear. This coach came with the Michelin XRV 255/80R22.5 G-Rated tires. After half the day on the phone I'm extremely frustrated. I haven’t been able to find this tire in stock anywhere so far. I asked a truck/RV tire shop that we've used for rotations and front end alignment and they can only install the same size tire legally, and of course the Michelin makes the ONLY tire in that size. I tried a tire calculator to see if there were alternatives that I could find in stock, and hopefully cheaper than the $700 per Michelins. Nothing I can find. I asked a grumpy employee at NC State Inspection, who was no help and showed no empathy, if maybe we could get an extension so that we could get our coach legal for our upcoming trip. She made it clear that we couldn’t get it inspected until it would pass. I was also concerned that even if I found a set of 6 that the date codes wouldn’t already be older. I finally talked to Tire Rack and ‘ordered' a set but they only say they might get some in early September, but that’s no guarantee. He did say the last ones that just went out were manufactured in 2021, so that’s good. If I can’t locate another source, it looks like I'll have to start canceling reservations, the first starting September 24th. Does anyone know of a replacement size they have used? I even called Winnebago and they referred me to Ford of course. Tomorrow I will call Ford and also start going to all the truck tire shops around Asheville and see if anyone has any Michelins hiding in a corner somewhere!

Try Kessler tire in Gainesville Georgia great guys. Open 8-12 saturdays.
Old 07-15-2022, 07:22 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A quick search shows 19 Michelin tires in stock with Simple tires, selling on Amazon.com. $699 free shipping.

I suspect your tire shop only has a policy of requiring same size. Doubt very much there is such a law. I would check with the folks who do the inspections as to legalities. There are Toyo tires that meet all the ratings available in size
265/75R22.5. Plenty of tire shops will sell and service those.

The Michelin size is 38.24 inches diameter and the Toyo size is 38.3 inches diameter. Very close. Less cost. Greater availability in case of road hazard replacement.

Worth a look?
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:36 PM   #5

^ Yes! I goofed in my previous post. I got my equivalents mixed up.

You are correct, the accepted equivalent size for a 255/80R22.5 is

265/75R22.5

OP: PLEASE DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS POST

Here is the Toyo M154 in the 265/75R22.5 ...if you search this forum, you'll find many have replaced their OEM Michelin XRV with the Toyo M154

Toyo M154, 265/75R22.5 - motorhometires.com (an iRV2 sponsor)

Or ask your local commercial truck tire dealer for a price quote on the M154. You should no issues at all replacing your Michelins with this particular Toyo. Again, if replacing all 6 tires, you should not run into any problems at all as the 265/75R22.5 is so close in size that most tire professionals will consider them a direct replacement or "equivalent size."

eta: Bridgestone is an excellent tire but it's most likely going to be almost as much as a Michelin. Purchasing six tires, my guess is that you'll save in the range of $1,000 or possibly more getting the Toyo over Michelin or Bridgestone.

Here is the equivalent size chart from the Goodyear website:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Size conversion from Goodyear site.png
Views:	22
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	371114  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Many on the forum have replaced their Michelin OEM proprietary size 255/80R22.5 with 245/75R22.5 which is the closest size to that OEM Michelin. It's considered the "equivalent" size by tire professionals.

Again "many" on the forum, including myself, have replaced their Michelins with Toyo and in the 245/75R22.5 size……..

I think you made a typo OR you are mistaken. The 235/80R22.5 is the one that can be replaced with the 245/75R22.5, NOT the 255 size the OP is shopping for.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:40 PM   #7

I ordered Toyo tires from Simple Tire (not amazon) and FedEx put them on my porch two days later.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I think you made a typo OR you are mistaken. The 235/80R22.5 is the one that can be replaced with the 245/75R22.5, NOT the 255 size the OP is shopping for.
Yes, thanks! I caught that and made a corrected post just before you posted.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:30 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartnc View Post
Hello all, my wife and I bought an early model 2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q last year, low mileage and great condition. The tires were in great shape and I was planning on getting new tires next spring as we just have a relatively short (mile wise, but covering 2 months) trip this fall. I called to set up a time for our NC state inspection today. They asked a few questions, one being the tire age. I knew from our RV inspection (thanks Todd Foster of Fostering The Dream!) that they were 2014 date codes on all tires, originals obviously. Apparently in NC the front tire have to be less than 7 years old to pass inspection, 8 years on the rear. I asked a grumpy employee at NC State Inspection, who was no help and showed no empathy, if maybe we could get an extension so that we could get our coach legal for our upcoming trip. She made it clear that we couldn’t get it inspected until it would pass.

I’d ask that grumpy employee where in the NC motor vehicle code is there an age limit on tires. The only limits I can find is on tread depth and tire conditions, was there something else wrong with your tires?

https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegisla...S_20-122.1.pdf

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...checklist.html
Old 07-16-2022, 07:53 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Why fart around when you can call Mitchelin Factory Support

Ypu are just not goong to find a tire for your RV superior to a Mitchelin. So why ask TOM, DICK AND oh yeah, HARRY who know no more than you. Call mitchelin factory cudtomer support, not a tire store, then of you have s $10 head, buy a $10 helmet, this is not a dificult issue to solve.
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #11

Yes 265/75R22.5 is an acceptable alternative to the Michelin (only) 255/80R22.5.
Old 07-16-2022, 08:30 AM   #12

Call Michelin and ask them what they recommend - seems they'd know the best alternative in today's market - can probably tell you where they are in stock near you also...

Whenever I've called them regarding psi, storage, etc. they've been responsive and helpful.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:55 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
A suggestion

I've always been treated very well and paid very reasonable prices for tires through Southern Tire Mart. There is a commercial location in Kingsport, TN which looks to be about an hour or so from you. I'd definitely give them a call, because they are not only knowledgeable but have an extensive network and have been successful in getting tires on short notice for me.
They are open on Saturday and it wouldn't hurt to call. (423) 245-4129 They sell many brands, including Michelin, and will have recommendations for alternate sizes, etc.
Just my .02 and good luck.
John
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:22 AM   #14

I know they've already been ordered but I thought I'd post this right quick.

Michelin XRV 255/80R22.5

Free shipping and would arrive by July 22.

Tags
tire