Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tire hitting fender after air down

I just noticed when I was putting water in the batteries the driver side fender was touching the out side of the tread on the rear tire. It was just touching the inside of the fender. The passenger side had plenty of clearance. When you air up it is ok. Is there a stop or something that should proven this? Thanks for any ideas.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2021, 07:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have same problem on 02 Monaco

Any ideas what's going on???
Old 01-18-2021, 08:19 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I guess I should have said the inside of the fender was touching the outside tread of the tire. It's not much but you can't slide a paper in between the tire and the fender.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:58 AM   #4

If you have clearancec on one side and none on the other, your rear axle is not centered.

You need to look at the suspension for worn bushings, pins, and cracks in the parts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks that's a start.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 07 40X has almost zero clearance when air dumped and others have said the same. Freightliner Gaffney checks the suspension etc every year. Seems to be normal.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
I just noticed when I was putting water in the batteries the driver side fender was touching the out side of the tread on the rear tire. It was just touching the inside of the fender. The passenger side had plenty of clearance. When you air up it is ok. Is there a stop or something that should proven this? Thanks for any ideas.
Well,
Since your coach is a Discovery 39', it's a diesel and, it has air suspension. You don't say whether or not, the suspension was or is, AIRED UP or AIRED DOWN when you're noticing your fender clearance issue. Now, I'm not an expert at this stuff but, I kind-a would assume, that aired up or down, the axle SHOUDLN'T move to the left or right. It should remain centered and, the tire-to-fender clearance should remain equal on each side. In the 9 years and 97K miles of ownership of our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT 330HP, I don't think I've ever checked to see if the axle shifts any from side to side, when it's aired down. Let us know if that situation you're seeing is aired up or down.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Are your tires pointed straight ahead? If not, that could cause your problem. Wheels should be pointed straight ahead when airing down.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:00 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
Since your coach is a Discovery 39', it's a diesel and, it has air suspension. You don't say whether or not, the suspension was or is, AIRED UP or AIRED DOWN when you're noticing your fender clearance issue. Now, I'm not an expert at this stuff but, I kind-a would assume, that aired up or down, the axle SHOUDLN'T move to the left or right. It should remain centered and, the tire-to-fender clearance should remain equal on each side. In the 9 years and 97K miles of ownership of our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT 330HP, I don't think I've ever checked to see if the axle shifts any from side to side, when it's aired down. Let us know if that situation you're seeing is aired up or down.
Scott
Text copied from OP's title in post: "Tire hitting fender after air down"
and then from text body of message: "When you air up it is ok:
Old 01-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
Scott
When it's you let the air out the body settles down and touches the tire. When aired up it ok with plenty of room. I put a piece of wax paper over the tire and let the air out and couldn't pull the paper out. It's just touching the side of the tread. I just dropped it off at Freightliner for service and they are going to check it out. When I find out something I'll post.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:56 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Are your tires pointed straight ahead? If not, that could cause your problem. Wheels should be pointed straight ahead when airing down.
Sorry I should have made it more clear. What I am seeing is on the drivers side rear tire. So I hope the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
Sorry I should have made it more clear. What I am seeing is on the drivers side rear tire. So I hope the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
It was clear. In fact it was in your first sentence.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:36 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
These are fiberglass bodies dropped onto a premade chassis. They don't always go on perfectly. You say the other side clears fine, but you don't say by how much. If it has a 2" gap, you may have an issue. If it's less than 3/4", I wouldn't be too concerned. I think if everyone checked their clearances on their DP's when aired down, many would find tighter tolerances on one side versus the other.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:10 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just received a call from Freightliner on this. They said the rear axle was shifted to the passengers side 3/4 inch. They couldnt find anything broken or worn out but I might need to take it to a frame shop to get it checked out. I just wonder if it was that way from new or if jt would hurt anything to drive it. What do you think?

Tags
air