Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tire Inflation...I know not this again

I have owned my MH only since March. Never owned one before. My Goodyear tires are 295/80R22.5 all round. All are about 2 years old.

I have noticed about a 5-10 psi drop in air pressure all round, just in the past few days. The coach has been in storage since early September.

Is this normal since ambient air temperatures have dropped significantly, in the past week? I am in Michigan and winter is getting ready to kick in.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #2

Yes, air pressure drops when temps do
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yeah, that would be normal for a 20 or so deg drop in temp.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #4

Large RV tires will change 2% for every 10* change in tire temperature whether it is caused by the OAT or rolling resistance.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
This is clearly a question for Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Not sure if they subscribe to this forum however.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzag03 View Post
This is clearly a question for Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Not sure if they subscribe to this forum however.
This is clearly the best answer yet! Two thumbs up!!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #7

Very normal for tire pressure to drop as temperatures drop. What would be abnormal, is for them to NOT drop when the temperatures go down. That is why you always set your tire pressure when the tires are "cold"....as in before the sun hits them or you have been driving on them. If you set the tire pressure correctly when it's 85 degrees outside and drive to a location where it is 50 degrees the next morning when you wake up, I guarantee that your tire pressure will be low.....that's a 35 degree temperature difference.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks guys. I knew temperature drops impacted tire inflation, just not to this extent. Our local high temps were near 80 early this week, now in the 40s.

I will have to air up before we head south, late this month.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Thanks guys. I knew temperature drops impacted tire inflation, just not to this extent. Our local high temps were near 80 early this week, now in the 40s.

I will have to air up before we head south, late this month.
And to this point, I think on the road I would be checking them daily, especially since you and the rig are just getting to know each other. After a while you'll know what to expect. And of course there the ever popular and much discussed TPMSs available to make it easier and safer, at least theoretically.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzag03 View Post
Very good!
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Very good!
Full disclosure I am an ex-newenglander and a total homer for all teams Boston, so take such remarks in their proper context!
Old 10-12-2018, 11:42 PM   #12

jeez I would not change my tire pressure from 35 degrees morning and traveling to where its going to be 60 in afternoon. you just cant be changing the pressure for every 20 degrees, maybe those that do live in areas that are warm, and consistent . if you travel in cold to warm just check your tire temps at rest area after 100 miles or so.. maybe there should be north and south rules?? my chevy avalanche has internal sensors and even today in morning they were 29 front and 27 rear.. yesterday they were 32 front and 29 rear.. so next week when its going to be warm again do I fill and drain them every day.. no, no, no.. when I drive the pressure does equalize, I do change my psi In November and again in march. and keep track... my MH is the same.. ,eh.. just have to use common sense on daily temps... not be a person with fears of being right or wrong.. its like security checks, its an illusion of safety for those that are ocd
Old 10-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
jeez I would not change my tire pressure from 35 degrees morning and traveling to where its going to be 60 in afternoon. you just cant be changing the pressure for every 20 degrees, maybe those that do live in areas that are warm, and consistent . if you travel in cold to warm just check your tire temps at rest area after 100 miles or so.. maybe there should be north and south rules?? my chevy avalanche has internal sensors and even today in morning they were 29 front and 27 rear.. yesterday they were 32 front and 29 rear.. so next week when its going to be warm again do I fill and drain them every day.. no, no, no.. when I drive the pressure does equalize, I do change my psi In November and again in march. and keep track... my MH is the same.. ,eh.. just have to use common sense on daily temps... not be a person with fears of being right or wrong.. its like security checks, its an illusion of safety for those that are ocd
As I stated, my coach has been in storage since early September, when it was still warm here. I aired my tires up just prior to putting into storage. I thought this would work as we go full time November 1st and leave Michigan for a 450 mile drive south to Kentucky. However we have put lots of stuff in the coach since we last used it, so I know the weight is up. So, before leaving Michigan I will air up all eight tires to near maximum pressure, just to be safe. I will then get the coach weighed somewhere between here and New Orleans and adjust pressure accordingly.