Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
somebody had bought some of the XZA2 tires here on the forum and they only lasted about 3 years before starting to show signs of checking/sidewall cracking.
I ran my original XZA2's for over 7 years, covered when parked, and plastic vapor barriers when parked on concrete. Nearly 40k miles and they looked virtually new inside and out ...not even a hint of cracking.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thought you might find these 2 documents useful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Zipper Flat Tire Inspection.pdf (717.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pdf tire-care-guide.pdf (1.70 MB, 32 views)
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
" ........ Was absolutely shocked at the difference the new tires made in handling, noise, ride, and even squirming was way down. (Someone else correctly pointed out-all new tires will do that)"

Of course a new tire will ride and handle better than a 10 year old one. Same thing with a 2003 vehicle versus a 2013.

So a comment about a new tire being better riding than the old tires really isn't saying anything about the tire

Wasn't intended to say anything about the TIRE.

It was intended to relay the importance of keeping your tires newer than 10 years old as mine were.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Stroker, somewhere recently somebody had bought some of the XZA2 tires here on the forum and they only lasted about 3 years before starting to show signs of checking/sidewall cracking. Michelin puts those XZA2 tires out as a multi purpose tire, not specifically for RV's. The XRV is specifically designed for RV use, including UV resistance, etc for long periods of sitting.
While spending that much money on tires is obscene, ( just did last year) think about moving into the XRV for another 5-10%. I think it is worth it.

Bob, I had my tires inspected twice last year as well, but they did not remove them, just crawled under the coach, moved it forward, and crawled under again, checking with a tread tool, flashlight between the duallys, etc. I felt much better with the inspections passing on my old tires. They were Goodyear GV 670 RV tires (19.5) and had been on the coach since production (10 Years) I just replaced them last October with new XRV Michelins. Was absolutely shocked at the difference the new tires made in handling, noise, ride, and even squirming was way down. (Someone else correctly pointed out-all new tires will do that)

Now, tires are like children here on this forum as we all know, so everybody is protective over their own experiences and everybody has a well informed opinion on them. Be sure that my opinion here is just that. I do not have scientific evidence or a white sheet to support my opinion.

Good luck!
Lincolnboy2
I have the G670 RV now and will stay with them. My 5er had about 80% left on Goodyears but they are 8 years old. Went back with Goodyears there also. Will have to take out a bank loan on this one
stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Lincolnboy2
I have the G670 RV now and will stay with them. My 5er had about 80% left on Goodyears but they are 8 years old. Went back with Goodyears there also. Will have to take out a bank loan on this one
stroker
Oh they are expensive, higher than the Michelins, but they sure proved themselves to me, I still had probably the same amount of tread on mine and the only reason I did replace them was the age.......

I agree it would have been another 100-125 per tire to go up to the Goodyears in pricing!

Good Luck Stroker!