Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2022, 03:35 PM   #1

Tire Minder not useable with rubber valve stems

I called eTrailer to order a new TPMS after much searching, but was told the Tire Minder i10 TM56FR with 10 sensors was not designed for use on any low pressure rubber valve stems, which affects using it on my 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I need 8 sensors for coach and 4 for the Jeep. They started trying to find a system that would work but wouldn't commit to why the TM56FR wouldn't work. And just when I thought my search was over.

I've currently put about 10,000 miles on this jeep using the screw on sensor with a Pressure Pro system with no problem.

Has anyone ignored this warning and never had any problems with the system?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2022, 04:05 PM   #2

I would say there could be an issue with rubber tire valves ; made worse by the mount angle in the rim .

A valve that mounts on a steel wheel with the cap facing out in a direction that would have it protrude through a hub cap would be more likely to have issues with the centrifugal forces of the extra weight of the sender ; than an aluminum wheel where the valve sits upright pointed to the wheel's center.

When the Jeep is due for tires , have metal valves installed , probably only cost $10 a wheel at that time .
Old 08-15-2022, 04:05 PM   #3

Per Tire Minder i10 manual
Can Rubber Valve Stems Be Used with The TireMinder Transmitters?
Yes, TireMinder Transmitters may be used on high quality, high pressure rubber valve sterns. However, we highly
recommend brass or stainless steel valve sterns. Due to the fact that rubber valve sterns deteriorate fairly quickly,
e.g. they should be replaced when replacing your tires, an external TPMS sensor can exacerbate the deteriorating
by adding weight to the valve stern. Additional rubber valve stems issues are based on age, length and physical
location (i.e. exposure to road salt, high heat, sun, etc). If using rubber valve sterns, it is recommended that you
check the condition of you rubber valve sterns on a regular basis. Failing to do so will result in a tire failure.

So swap out those rubber low pressure valve stems for some high pressure metal valve stems on your Jeep.

https://www.minderresearch.com/conte...al-English.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:48 PM   #4

Tire Minder not useable with rubber valve stems

Well I tow either a 2002 Jeep Wrangler or my 2016 Ram 1500.

Never had a single problem with TPMS sensors on the Jeep. But the Ram which has its own TPMS with rubber valve stems did develop a lead in one stem. The added weight of the TireTracker sensor is the only thing I can attribute the leak to. Recently had a 2nd Wheel/tire on the Ram start indicating low pressure. Upon checking it with a gauge it was low so I removed all of the TireTracker sensors.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:51 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you like the Tire Minder system and you're uncomfortable, take the Jeep to a tire store and have them install metal valve stems.

I run the TST sensors on short rubber stems on my Ford Raptor without issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:13 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would think a 2017 the valve stems are integrated into the vechical tpms sensors built into the wheel.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:29 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hogwash. I use a TM77 and the valve stems don't matter one bit!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:37 PM   #8

Iíve been using Tireminder sensors on my boat trailer with rubber valve stems for 6 years of highway driving.
I did have an issue with the PD braided valve extensions on my dually wheels that were not secure enough but no issues once I got rid of them.
Old 08-15-2022, 05:38 PM   #9

Just for comparison, I have a TST 10 sensor system, the MH stems are metal the pickup stems are rubber. When the sensors are on the pickup the tires lose approx. 3 psi/month. Without the sensors the pressure stays the same during a 3 mo. period.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:56 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the older Tire Minder system (not sure of model) and use it on my 2020 JL with no issues.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:56 PM   #11

Well, I e-mailed Tire Minder and asked why the problem with rubber valve stems. I got a list of pre-answered questions back and one was exactly my question.
No problem with the rubber valve stems. They don't recommend using Flow-Thru sensors on Toads or trailers since the Flow-Thrus are 1.89" long, stick out further than standard sensors and might hit a curb or other low object causing damage to the valves.
So it wasn't the valve stem problem it was a problem with different sensors. eTrailer undoubtedly misread what they got from Tire Minder and printed the wrong information on their web site.
So, I'll get my order out tomorrow.
Appreciate all the responses. Not all product web sites are completely accurate.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:28 AM   #12

Drove my MH towing a jeep cherokee from NC to Montana and back with tire minder system and rubber valve stems on the jeep with no problem. Maybe I was just lucky.
Ben-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:47 AM   #13

I have a Tireminder i4 unit for my 2022 Wrangler
Works great.
I hard wired the relay antenna inside the engine compartment of the Jeep with a under dash switch.
Works great with my 43 ft diesel.
I just have to remember to switch on the relay. Sometimes I forget and the Tireminder will remind me after a few miles.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, tire, valve