Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2021, 08:56 PM   #1

Tire Monitoring System questions

Browsing through some threads here, it seems that the TST 507 comes highly recommended. -- it is expensive!!

1. How does one feel about the Cap Sensor vs the Flow Thru versions? What about the inside the wheel version?

2. Anyone have suggestions for a "worth it" alternative monitoring system that isn't so pricey?

We have 6 tires on our Class A -- it is a 'new' used 2003 Coachman.
Time2roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 10:26 PM   #2

I got my 6 Eeztire TPMS sensors and the base unit for $100 off Amazon - used (maybe it was Ebay). Bought 4 more sensors for the toad at list price.

Everything integrated well - the sensors are NOT flowthrough and I threw away the theft prevention outer housing...

Have had no problems and simply change all the batteries when I have one failure.

I'd definitely recommend looking on CraigsList, Ebay and Offerup... as well as all the RV related sales-sites and forums.

Heck - here's one that's active right now - you'll have to buy more sensors, perhaps...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 11.25.26 PM.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	332032  
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:45 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the flow thru on my 5th wheeler, the tow truck and our MH, 6 tires. SO I guess I like pretty well. The reason is that I can use a digital pressure gauge to check the true pressure without having to remove the sensor that vents a small amount of air for the off and again for the on.

I trust the digital gauge over any sensor on a valve stem for a good reading. I find that as the batteries age the pressure seems to drop with the battery voltage. To me the big reason for the TPMS is to monitor unexpected pressure changes on a tire, not to determine if I need to top off a tire by a few pounds.

Yes they are somewhat pricy. But a lots less than the damage from a sudden air loss, a blow out.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:53 AM   #4

I'm another satisfied TST owner. It may seem pricy when compared to others, however, the fact that so many people have it and "Highly Recommend" it should tell you something. For me, value has always been a priority and after 12 years of great TST performance it have proven to be a great value.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #5

The cheapest way is to not buy a tire monitor at all which is still the most common approach. If you are going to spend the money to get one, wouldn't it make good sense to buy the best rated one?
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:32 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the TST system an on Sat it save our butt, the low warning buzzer let us know that the pax front tire was below the mim setting. Pulled over when I found a safe place and found the air was leaking around the valve stem extension. I removed the extension aired up the tire and made it to our campground. We are now waiting for a mobile tire folks to come out to see if they can find the problem.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #7

Had the TST installed on our new Bounder and it seems to work pretty well. It is nice to be able to see if you have a tire issue before it becomes an accident. One thing I can't figure out is the inside tire on the duals run at a higher pressure and temp than the outside tires even though all start out at 100PSI when cold.

The RV with full fuel and water runs just under 22K so maybe I need to increase the pressure to 110SI.

I'd get the TST system and change the batteries in the flow-through every 6 months.,
Old 06-14-2021, 01:28 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I like the TST because it also allows you to monitor a towed vehicle. Also looks at pressure and temp. Easy to run a repeater if necessary from back of coach. I like the flow through.

Not using the factory TPMS on our Newmar NewAire because of this.

Carry extra batteries cause you get used to scanning this when driving and a dead fob will make you nuts. Easy to change.
mtflybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #9

I went back and fourth between TST and Tire minder systems. I went with the Tire Minder and it has been good so far 6 tires on MH and 4 on Toad. I think the position of the booster is critical. I was able to modify the booster and make my own 12 volt connection and placed the booster just after the rear wheels in center of MH and so far so good. Very happy with Tire minder and it was less than TST.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadSittner View Post
Had the TST installed on our new Bounder and it seems to work pretty well. It is nice to be able to see if you have a tire issue before it becomes an accident. One thing I can't figure out is the inside tire on the duals run at a higher pressure and temp than the outside tires even though all start out at 100PSI when cold.

The RV with full fuel and water runs just under 22K so maybe I need to increase the pressure to 110SI.

I'd get the TST system and change the batteries in the flow-through every 6 months.,
What does the tire placard near the drivers seat say? Have you weighed each position and referred to a load inflation chart? That's the only way to get it right. It's not uncommon for the inner tire to run 2-3 psi higher that the outer. Part of the reason is less ambient cooling inside and the slight crown of some roads. My steer tires start out at their required 120 psi and can increase to 140 on a hot day. all perfectly normal.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #11

We use the TST 507 for our MH and toad. It works well, is reliable, excellent customer service and I know I can depend on it. Yes, it may be a bit more expensive, but is well worth it. I opted not to go with the flow thru caps for two reasons: 1) reviews indicated that servicing the air pressure through the flow through cap was a bit if an issue and 2) the extra weigh5 spinning around on a long stem sort of bothered me.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:46 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
We use the TST 507 for our MH and toad. It works well, is reliable, excellent customer service and I know I can depend on it. Yes, it may be a bit more expensive, but is well worth it. I opted not to go with the flow thru caps for two reasons: 1) reviews indicated that servicing the air pressure through the flow through cap was a bit if an issue and 2) the extra weigh5 spinning around on a long stem sort of bothered me.
I understand what you're saying about the added weight. Standard pre-mount balancers won't quite get it right. If you have it balanced after mounting on the hub, then it should be pretty close. I've been using balancing beads in my 5th wheeler and install Centramatic balancers on the MH when I replaced the tires. This way the tire is always in balance.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
What does the tire placard near the drivers seat say? Have you weighed each position and referred to a load inflation chart? That's the only way to get it right. It's not uncommon for the inner tire to run 2-3 psi higher that the outer. Part of the reason is less ambient cooling inside and the slight crown of some roads. My steer tires start out at their required 120 psi and can increase to 140 on a hot day. all perfectly normal.
The placard states 90PSI. I have weighed the unit not by tire but per axle and the front is 7425 on an 8000 capacity and the rear is 14560 on a 15000 capacity. I looked again at the Michelin inflation chart and based on my weight 90PSI seems to be correct although the sidewall of the tires state 110PSI as the MAX cold. As they are now at 100PSI cold while running on a hot day the tires except the inside duals run between 107PSI and 111PSI. The inside duals run at 115PSI to 118PSI. I have always thought running a higher PSI makes the tires run cooler. Perhaps I should drop to 90PSI and see what happens.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadSittner View Post
The placard states 90PSI. I have weighed the unit not by tire but per axle and the front is 7425 on an 8000 capacity and the rear is 14560 on a 15000 capacity. I looked again at the Michelin inflation chart and based on my weight 90PSI seems to be correct although the sidewall of the tires state 110PSI as the MAX cold. As they are now at 100PSI cold while running on a hot day the tires except the inside duals run between 107PSI and 111PSI. The inside duals run at 115PSI to 118PSI. I have always thought running a higher PSI makes the tires run cooler. Perhaps I should drop to 90PSI and see what happens.
@ 100 psi, you are at the recommended safety margin based on the load inflation chart. If you lower the cold pressure, you will see a greater % of pressure increase when hot due to more sidewall flex. I wouldn't recommend it. Others have also stated a greater increase on the inner tires compared to the outers. I have never seen more than a couple degrees or a couple psi differences on all of the motorhomes I have owned. Can't explain why. A 15% pressure increase is not unusual. Keep in mind that when you look at the increased pressure and temp, you need to compare it the the current ambient OAT and not the cold OAT at the start of the day. Tires just standing would increase 4-5% if they warm up 20 degrees during the day.

Tags
monitor, tire