Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #1

tire pressure

I adjusted my tire pressure to 98 psi which matches to my weight. As I drive the temp. in the tires go up and so does the pressure went as high as 104 psi so do I lower my pressure so when it gets hot it is correct or does it matter if it goes higher. Thanks this is a great site. Ken
kejy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #2

You always adjust tire pressures cold, as you drive your tires heat up and pressures go up also. If your tires are low they heat up faster and hotter which is one of the causes of blow outs.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kejy,
Always make the correct PSI when the tires are cold. Any PSI increase due to driving has already been taken into consideration by the tire manufacturer. If you are looking at a TPMS measurement there is another item that you will notice. While driving, tires on the sunny side of the coach will get hotter than tires on the shady side. This is a piece of data that, while interesting, can be ignored.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #4

Also, a good rule to follow, is to carry 5 psi higher than what the chart says for your tire load. This will give an extra margin of safety for keeping above the minimum, but will also cover you when you start out on a very cold morning. Minimum tire pressures are generally set at 60*F. Also as mentioned, the temp reading of the TPMS is useless while moving, as the external sensors are being moderated by the OAT air. Only after you are parked for 15-20 minutes will they give you an accurate temp reading.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Also, a good rule to follow, is to carry 5 psi higher than what the chart says for your tire load. This will give an extra margin of safety for keeping above the minimum, but will also cover you when you start out on a very cold morning. Minimum tire pressures are generally set at 60*F. Also as mentioned, the temp reading of the TPMS is useless while moving, as the external sensors are being moderated by the OAT air. Only after you are parked for 15-20 minutes will they give you an accurate temp reading.

Great post Crasher! I'm an advocate of inflating 5-10 psi over the minimum but had not really considered the temp part of the equation.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #6

Crasher
Might seem counterintuitive, but as I understand it, an inanimate object such as a tire pressure monitor is not susceptible to 'wind chill'. It would only cool down faster to a lower outside temperature when driving than if parked. But it would still reflect the actual temperature at the monitor. Systems that monitor the inside of the tires would be more accurate, but neither one is affected by wind chill.

NWS Wind Chill Questions and Answers

Not sure what you mean by OAT air? Is it something other than wind chill? Thanks.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #7

All
Recently did a lot of research before buying new tires two sizes larger than our OEMs. I doubt anyone could find a subject that has much more research done than truck tires. There are lots of trucks and they use lots of tires each year and companies want every edge to cut costs. While I, too, am guilty of leaving some 'wiggle' room in my guestimates, I don't believe extra psi is necessary considering all the educated as well as experienced talent employed by tire companies. They have already built in their 'fudge' factors. Further, adding extra psi when starting out in the cold to compensate for driving into warm areas is also probably a bad idea. The tires warm up very quickly once driven and then you have tires inflated more than necessary. This can be dangerous especially in rain.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure