Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #1

Tire pressure

I have a 2004 fleetwood terra that I just purchased. I want to get it setup properly. I figured I would go weigh it and set tire pressures accordingly. Well, the tire manufacturer does not have a weight to tire pressure chart. I called a tire dealer that sells these tires and was just told to run them at 95psi, which is max on sidewall. Is that what I should do? The tires are advanta av2000s. The previous owner just had them put on last fall. I am chasing a wandering condition and figured tire pressure was the first place to start.
Thanks!
Classay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 05:05 PM   #2

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classay View Post
I have a 2004 fleetwood terra that I just purchased. I want to get it setup properly. I figured I would go weigh it and set tire pressures accordingly. Well, the tire manufacturer does not have a weight to tire pressure chart. I called a tire dealer that sells these tires and was just told to run them at 95psi, which is max on sidewall. Is that what I should do? The tires are advanta av2000s. The previous owner just had them put on last fall. I am chasing a wandering condition and figured tire pressure was the first place to start.
Thanks!

It would help if you provided the tire Complete size and Load Range.
What is the RV GAWR shown on the Certification sticker.
It looks like the previous owner bought based on low price. Wondering where you would go to get warranty service on those tires.

As far as I know all tire companies but one (Michelin) use the same industry standard Load / Inflation tables.

The inflation in the charts is the MINIMUM needed to support the measure load. You should run 10 to 15% more inflation but would need the above info to provide anything more specific.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:01 PM   #3

Running them at max inflation rather than setting them to actual loaded weight certainly can cause the wandering problem. Get it weighed and use any brands pressure chart for the same size and load range tire.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:37 AM   #4

I’ll have to check the load rating after work tonite. The size is 225/70/19.5. The front gawr is 6000, and rear is 11,000. From what I am reading from goodyears’ site and what I assume, is that if the front has a gawr of 6000, that’s 3000 each side max which puts the pressure at 75 to 80. Depending on load range I suppose.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:04 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I’ll have to check the load rating after work tonite. The size is 225/70/19.5. The front gawr is 6000, and rear is 11,000. From what I am reading from goodyears’ site and what I assume, is that if the front has a gawr of 6000, that’s 3000 each side max which puts the pressure at 75 to 80. Depending on load range I suppose.
If you haven't noticed you have a lot more capacity available in the tires then you do with the axles. Same as my coach but with a 7K front and 11K rear. Based on my normal loading I'm off the bottom of the pressure charts. What has worked well for me is to just run necessary pressure for the axle maximum capacity (80 psi cold) and leave the tires alone until the TPMS advises me of a problem. I'm somewhat over inflated for my normal loading but the ride comfort and performance have been acceptable.

I do check the axle weights in the spring and when heading out on the summer vacation road trip just to insure I'm not overloading an axle after the winter projects and the extra loading for a long trip.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks!
When we had our 2008 Fleetwood Terra 32LX, I ran the tires at the certificate number that was next to the drivers seat. It gave the best ride and handling. I believe that was at 80 psi… if I ran the tires up to the rating on the Toyo tires, the ride was rough and the front end was all over the road.

Our steer wandering was mostly fixed with new Koni shocks, a steering stabilizer and rear track bar. It would still somewhat wandered compared to a smaller vehicle if the tire pressure was over inflated but nothing like it was before I added those items.
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #7

Quote:

Whatever the weight /pressure charts show, you should add 5-10% of that number to the cold inflation pressure you set the tires at. That “ extra” pressure is a safety factor for times where you may add weight and shouldn’t cause excessive wandering.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The front gawr is 6000, and rear is 11,000. From what I am reading from goodyears’ site and what I assume, is that if the front has a gawr of 6000, that’s 3000 each side max which puts the pressure at 75 to 80. Depending on load range I suppose.
The GAWR represents the max axle load (weight), but doesn't guarantee that the weight is split 50/50 between the ends, so one side might be (for example) 3300 while the other is 2700. That sort of 55%/45% split is common. Wise owners allow for unequal balance. Until you have scaled weights to prove otherwise.

A higher Load Range increases the upper end of max load & inflation, but almost never changes the recommended inflation for the lower end of the table. In other words, if you compared a LR G tire to an LRH of the same size and type, you would find identical inflations up to the top of the G-rating. The H tire would simply go to higher levels.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #9

So my tires say 95 psi cold at 3640 pounds. So if my axle is 6000/2=3000 per side then that is clearly over inflated. I think I may try 80 in the front and see how that goes for the handling concerns. When I first bought the rv the tires were in the mid 70’s for pressure I assume from winter storage and it seemed to handle better. I’ve tried to contact everyone I can find about psi tables for this tire manufacturer with no luck. So I’m just using the good year tables roughly.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:04 PM   #10

You don't yet know if your side to side weights are equal. @80 psi, you could be under inflated if one side weighs 3200 or more. I would not go below 85 psi till you have a valid weight for each corner. You will never get a very smooth ride from a 19.5" tire with a 70 aspect ratio.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:04 PM   #11

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:21 PM   #12

It’s more for wander than smoothness. But ya maybe 5% for variation.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Whatever the weight /pressure charts show, you should add 5-10% of that number to the cold inflation pressure you set the tires at. That “ extra” pressure is a safety factor for times where you may add weight and shouldn’t cause excessive wandering.
Tireman9 is the expert, he says 10%-15% above minimum chart numbers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
You don't yet know if your side to side weights are equal. @80 psi, you could be under inflated if one side weighs 3200 or more. I would not go below 85 psi till you have a valid weight for each corner. You will never get a very smooth ride from a 19.5" tire with a 70 aspect ratio.
And 19.5" tires are usually on a leaf-spring chassis.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tire pressure