Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2022, 02:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tire pressure

I’m curious how much your tire pressure goes up when your driving. I have a TPMS system, and even on a cool day, my pressure will start out at 100 pounds. In about 1/2 hour or so some of the pressures will be up to as high as 117 to 120 pounds. That seems to me quite high, when the temperature for the tires is still around 70 degrees. Let me know if this is normal.
Thank you, Tom
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Tomvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2022, 02:28 PM   #2

Yes it's normal and happened before you installed the TPMS.

Under inflated tires get hotter and cause higher temps.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 02:44 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Initial tire pressure:

1. Weigh your coach. Determine the per-wheel weights.
2. Get the weight to tire pressure chart from your tire brand and model.
3. Inflate based on the chart. I add about 5% personally.

If you find your tire pressure rises too much from cold to warm, it is possible your initial pressure is too low for the weight/tire combination. So do it properly.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 02:56 PM   #4

Excerpt from USTMA manual page #44.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...uckTires_0.pdf

"Inflation pressure recommendations may a be determined based on the tire manufacturer’s specifications, which define the amount of inflation pressure necessary to carry a givenload. These inflation pressures may differ from those found on the vehicle tire placard or certification label."

"However, never use inflation pressure lower than specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification label or owner’s manual. Nor should inflation pressure exceed the maximum pressure molded on the tire sidewall."

Usually the tire manufacturer will provide an approximant increased PSI value for tires warmed from road use. It can be found in their truck tire data book/PDF files.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 03:05 PM   #5

To answer your concern directly:

Yes, that sounds absolutely normal. Commercial truck tires are designed and engineered to take load, temperature, and speed variables into account. Therefore, a tire may seem overinflated at 125 psi but they are designed to take that 25% variable into account.

Load inflation tables are typically based on an ambient temperature of 70°. Therefore, if you've already determined that the proper pressure for your particular weight is 100 psi "cold" pressure (or before being run on the road), and assuming that you started rolling when the outside temperature is around 70°, then it is perfectly normal to see 120 psi or even more.

As has been said, do not lower psi when the tire has been rolling or the outside temperatures are very high. If you've correctly determined and have the proper "cold" psi, then you can essentially disregard the high temperatures showing on your TPMS while you are underway.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 03:11 PM   #6

Look at rvtiresafety.net - tireman9's website.

Lot of good information there. I learned a lot about the fallacy of measuring tire temps with an IR thermometer.

An increase of pressure from 100 psi to 120 psi indicates that the INTERNAL air temperature has increased by 40F. That increase cannot be measured from the outside.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:01 PM   #7

Most are saying a 20% increase in 1/2 hour is normal with a constant 70 degree OAT. I disagree. A 20% increase over the course of several hours is normal however, 4-5% of the increase is due to the OAT increasing 20-25 degrees. In your case, after several hours of rolling resistance and OAT increase you could see 25-30% increase in pressure. The tire can accept that, but I would want to know why. As others have suggested, are your tires inflated for the load they are carrying. My front tires loaded to 7300# each will rise from 118 to 135 psi on a cloudy day when the air temp remains steady. They will increase to 142 if the OAT increases from mid 60's to upper 90's. I have fount that I get a 15% increase in pressure from rolling resistant and the rest is from OAT increase. I say this from what I have observed over the years of pressure monitoring, but may not be worth more than what you paid for it. Be safe.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Pressure

Thanks for the info on the tire pressure. Before I got the TPMS system, I always check the pressure in the morning before we headed out for the day. Bumped them when I stopped, but never check the pressure. Now I find myself looking at the display all the time. I appreciate all the feedback, so I’m good with it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Tomvg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tire pressure