Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2021, 02:35 AM   #15

Nitrogen is used by racers, but only because the price difference between high pressure compressed air and nitrogen is negligible, and at the top level of the sport eliminating even small variables helps. For the rest of us, it's a way for dealers to make (lots!) more money with little to no consumer benefit.

I use compressed breathing air to fill tires. It's very dry (dewpoints under -60F), which mostly eliminates any moisture in the tires. The differential between O2 and N2 leakage from tires is nonzero, but it's also not important. Day to day temperature changes will make you adjust pressures before it's a factor. But if I'm pressed for time, I'll just use shop air (my compressor has a pretty standard coalescer on it).
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 10:56 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
replies in red.

Funny how those GY's are constantly blowing out.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Funny how those GY's are constantly blowing out.
Indeed.

So...did GY have a problem at one point that caused more failures to occur in service than other manufacturers? I'll stipulate that for now, not having researched it, but *even if that's true*, they remain a responsible, mainstream, major tire manufacturer, and I'd expect them to find and fix the problem, and (unlike some consumers) move on.

With that in mind, I just bought 6 G870s to replace the ones that were on the coach, which in turn replaced the ones Tiffin put on it when it was new. Four were having their tenth birthdays this year, the other other two their seventh.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:50 PM   #18

In the early 2000's the Goodyear G614 had a rough run, and has since have turned the corner and been reliable tire.
There are multiple NUWA Hitchhiker posts stating that after tire failures, how Goodyear CS stepped up and reimbursed the owners for damages to the RV along with replacement tires.

My 5 year old Goodyear G614's will be replaced this summer with 4 brand new G614's.

Tim
Old 04-23-2021, 10:20 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My local Big-O Tires shop sells a LOT of Sumitomo truck tires - the ST718 and ST719 all position/steer. They come from Japan, in both G and H rating, which is 14ply and 16ply, for the 245/70-19.5 size. I had newer Michelin XRV's on the front, having chosen them to replace the same, for best ride. They are nearly twice the price of the Sumitomos.

They suggested I try them for the rear duals the last time around, which I did about five years ago, some ten thousand miles ago. They've been great tires, still going strong, not a mark on them.

Now last month the XRV's are getting to the ripe old age of nine, and one was starting to get weather cracks in the sidewall, so I chose to replace them. The last thing any RV'r wants is a blowout on the front of their unit.

I called the store again, knowing they offer the sumitomos, and asked if they could get the XRV's for me. "Sure. But let me ask you how many miles you drive per year." Not very many, so it was suggested I try the cheaper tire on the front too, as they get stale-dated before they get worn out. "You're paying an extra $200 per tire for mileage you won't get."

But I was worried about ride quality, and they assured me I wouldn't notice the difference. So I asked them if they would exchange them for me if I didn't like them - "yes, of course".

So new Sumitomo ST719's were installed and so far just dandy. Two for steering, mounted and balanced for right at $600. The XRV's would have been about $1100.

And I can't tell the difference. YMMV
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionquest2 View Post
Looking for help to understand what my TPMS was telling me while on our first long trip this week. I've found quite a bit of information using search already but hoping for some feedback/input specific to my experience.
Your readings are fine.....there are many variables that affect the tire temp...... including your exhaust system, often running near the inside duals on a gasser, brakes, which typically don't change the tire temp unless you're using them, but there is decreased air flow around the inner duals, sunlight on one side versus the other, wheel covers, and even how the coach is loaded.

So there are many factors, some big and some small. The whole point of using/having the TPMS is to make sure the tires all stay in a similar pressure and temp. It's when one temp rises sharply, or obviously when a pressure starts to drop that you need to be concerned.

My rear exhaust, on a long grade/hot day, raises the temp on my right front toad tire and has set the alarm off in the past.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
temperature, tire, tire pressure