Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Tire pressure change while driving

I just recently installed a TPMS system on my MH. It is very accurate checking against 3 tire gauges I use. I run 85 PSI front and rear and have a Crossfire pressure Equalizer on rear Duallys to keep pressure the same in both tires.
I noticed that after driving my pressure increases to 92 front and 94 rear. I have stopped and confirmed the reading with a manual gauge. Is this normal to have this much increase in 30 miles driving with ambient temps of 70 degrees?
1Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #2

ABSOLUTELY NORMAL!!
Two other factors it will greatly affect your pressures are altitude and ambient temperature.
CaptainGizmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would actually expect it to increase more in hotter weather.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
ABSOLUTELY NORMAL!!
Two other factors it will greatly affect your pressures are altitude and ambient temperature.

Indeed, temperature has a significant effect on pressure-- increase can be from change in ambient temperature, sun shining on them or from tire heating up due to internal friction as you drive.

Altitude-- not so much.

The Ideal Gas Law has been known for quite a while know (PV=nRT).
Old 03-23-2021, 03:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's going to change a lot more than that.

I always check my pressures from the drivers seat with my morning coffee and adjust tires if need be. Then during the day the temps will rise with the heat of the day. I've seen them go up ten or more degrees. The tires on the sunny side will run warmer as well.

Also had one particular tire that always ran warm. Finally figured out why. It was just in back of the exhaust.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
ABSOLUTELY NORMAL!!
In hot weather tire pressure will rise by 1 to 2# for every 10° of tire temperature increase.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #7

A 15% increase in pressure is the accepted normal for a properly inflated tire for the load it is carrying. By mid afternoon, it can be more than that, but after correcting for the increase from a higher ambient temperature, I've often ended up with a 13-15% actual increase from rolling resistance.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #8

Were you concerned about tire pressure rise before you bought the TPMS? If not why be concerned now?
Tire and rim mfgrs, allow for this normal pressure increase, even if you have your tires inflated to the maximum. Most tire heat comes from sidewall flex and road friction, moisture in the compressed air increases the % of pressure rise.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tire pressure change while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Also had one particular tire that always ran warm. Finally figured out why. It was just in back of the exhaust.
LOL. When I first installed my TPMS nine years ago, I was perplexed that the right front tire on my toad was running so much warmer than any others. [emoji15]🤨
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:39 AM   #10

FWIW. When our Allegro Bus was new, I noticed on our first long trip that the front right tire would run at a higher pressure and slightly higher temp than the left one. In the mornings, they were both the same. I thought it might be the sensors, but after changing and reprogramming them, the FR was still higher after a few hundred miles. I did a six position weigh at the FMCA show in Gillette, WY and found that the FR weighed 8100# (the tire was rated for 7840#) and the FL weighed 7150#. How could that be???? It was because the left rear ride height valve was set 1/4" out of it's accepted range which transferred weight to the opposite corner which was the FR steer tire. After adjusting the ride height into specs, both front tires were within 50# of each other and ran the same temps and pressures. So if you find that one tire seems to react differently than the others, there is usually a good reason why.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
LOL. When I first installed my TPMS nine years ago, I was perplexed that the right front tire on my toad was running so much warmer than any others. [emoji15]🤨
I was the same way----the next trip it hit me
Old 03-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #12

It ain't pressure increase you need to worry so much about as pressure decrease, especially the rapid variety.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:53 AM   #13

When we first installed our TPMS system I was also shocked at how much the tire pressure changed during the trip based on elevation; outside temperature, traveling speed and even road conditions (rough asphalt causing more friction and heat). Over time I became comfortable with determining a tire pressure range that I felt reflected normal driving conditions and set my TPMS tire pressure alarm to a level that was beyond any previous readings. I have found that if you insure that the tire pressure for your coach is set correctly, as confirmed through reading the pressure while the tires are at their coolest state, that the high pressure rarely becomes a concern because the tires are made to work within normal tire pressure fluctuations. The bigger concern is low tire pressure and substantially elevated tire temperatures. I have a much lower alarm setting around a decrease in tire pressure or an increase in temperature much more so than an elevated tire pressure since changes in those could indicate a slow air pressure leak, fast air pressure leak or a compromised tire wall indicative of a fast approaching tire blow-out situation.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #14

As others have stated above, the increase is normal due to friction created rolling down the road. The engineers that build the tires factor this in when they set tire pressure limits and recommendations.

Not to be Captain Obvious, but if you ever see one tire with temp climbing more then the others that is a serious indicator that something bad is getting ready to happen and needs to be investigated.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tire pressure