Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tire pressure help, sorry to ask again

Had a front tire blow out and I have to say I am overly sensitive now and our first trip since the blowout is coming up in a week. We full time so when we weigh we are fully loaded with fuel, water, etc.

I put two new Toyo 144's on the front and would really appreciate any thoughts from those that follow the charts. I know some of you have your own reasons for what you do but I want to know if I am following the chart correctly on this post.

Toyo M 144 tires, 315/80R 22.5
Toyo specs from the sidewall is
MAX load single 9370 lbs at 130 PSI Cold

Weight from the CAT scale (I know it would be best to weigh each tire individually and plan to do so as soon as possible)
Total front weight of 8127 pounds

Attached is the only load chart I could find but it has 3 different sections for my tires. Only the forth one has a notation by it and that is to compare it to a different size Michelin. Any thoughts on how to read this and get the right answer. In the old days I would make a phone call but nowadays, I don't think I would get someone who could really answer it.

Sorry for the pics, tried to copy and paste just the info regarding my tires. The PSI chart would go over the tire size chart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyo load chart PSI.png
Views:	30
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	347023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyo load chart.png
Views:	38
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	347024  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyo load chart misc.png
Views:	24
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	347025  
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Something seems off here. A 45’ diesel pusher motorhome and your front end only weighs 8127 lbs?

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:43 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
With 315/ 80's, you must be talking per side?
Old 10-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Something seems off here. A 45’ diesel pusher motorhome and your front end only weighs 8127 lbs?

Agreed, something seems off. Do you actually still have the allegro bus? Pls reverify your weights?
Old 10-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On my 36' my front axle is about 8300. I with the others, somthing is wrong. Until I figured it out. I error on the high side. Use the 130 psi.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your appropriate weight number for your coach is apparently 8100 pounds per side. A front axle on a coach your size should be in the 15K - 17K range. On the chart you show, you should be running 120psi.

With that said, I know you're sensitive to blowouts, but see how the coach rides. Play with the numbers a little and see if 115 psi works. A few ways to check. If a coach tire is running underinflated, you can actually smell it. The smell of rubber. I'm sure you had that smell when the tire blew. Look to see if its squatty, more so than the rears. Lastly, watch it for wear, if the outer edges start to wear more, the pressure is too low.

Regarding the above....I'm not talking about running the tires underinflated, but getting them just right for your coach. Overinflated tires make for a miserable ride and beat the coach to death. On mine, I've played with the adjustments to where just a few pounds make a difference. I started mine at 115 psi and adjusted them to 112 psi for best ride and wear.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #7

Hey Don ---not sure about that. On the chart he shows (which I found online also) the SECOND group of numbers for 315 80R22.5 tires shows a max sidewall pressure of 130 and max load of 7390 (for duals) .... which sounds like his his actual tires?? (Boy .... Toyo could definitely be clearer on these charts!). IF that is the case, then for singles, single sided load of 8127, that looks more like 110 psi (again, this is for the second section for 315/80R22.5 tires).

Or am I off in my interpretations of this??
Old 10-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #8

The 4 asterisks denote information applicable to the M320Z, which you are not running. That leaves the other 2, 315/80R 22.5 tables. Both indicate Load Range L. I’d go with the lowest common denominator, which are the recommended pressures on the top line.

Since you have indicated that the weight is based on total axle weight, rather than axle end weights, you need to account for side to side variations in weight. Obviously, you’ve divided the total front axle weight by 2 to come up with 8127lbs. There could be a difference of several hundred pounds or more from side to side. At the very least, you need to round up your figure to 8270lbs, which shows 120psi as the minimum pressure to support the load.

Depending on any imbalance in weight, you may opt to inflate to 125psi, which would support 8810lbs. Tireman9 frequently advises to add 10% to the recommended minimum chart pressures. That would put cold pressure above the stated maximum of 130psi, which is a practice generally frowned upon.

Have you asked a manager at the tire shop that installed the new tires for an explanation of why the chart shows different load ratings and pressure recommendations for the same size tires with the same load range rating?

Theoretically, most, if not all, LRL tires would have the same load ratings and pressure recommendations. As an example, the Michelin X-Line Energy Z Coach tires, in a 315/80R 22.5 have a load rating of 8270lbs at 120psi.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:30 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
I have a 40’ weighs in at 9820
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #10

To be totally safe forget load/inflation charts, what does the Federal Tire Placard in your MH state? Inflate to those pressures unless you have overloaded your MH.

Load/inflation charts show the minimum pressure to support the load, which means the tire is operating at 100% capacity.
Tireman9 says when using load/inflation charts to add 10%-15% to that listed pressure, not to exceed sidewall maximum. If you don't have 4-corner weights figure each corner weighs 60% of axle weight to be safe.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:05 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Hey Don ---not sure about that. On the chart he shows (which I found online also) the SECOND group of numbers for 315 80R22.5 tires shows a max sidewall pressure of 130 and max load of 7390 (for duals) .... which sounds like his his actual tires?? (Boy .... Toyo could definitely be clearer on these charts!). IF that is the case, then for singles, single sided load of 8127, that looks more like 110 psi (again, this is for the second section for 315/80R22.5 tires).

Or am I off in my interpretations of this??
I couldn't open up that entire chart, it opened in two pages, I may have misaligned them, but 130psi sounds high.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I couldn't open up that entire chart, it opened in two pages, I may have misaligned them, but 130psi sounds high.

I was saying that on that line, the max sidewall pressure is listed as 130 ... which would put his tires at 110
Old 10-24-2021, 05:33 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm sorry all, I come for help and then provide the wrong info. The 8127 is the total divided in half so the total from the CAT scale is 16,254 pounds.

I will have to take a look at the placard on the coach and see how that compares to the guide from Toyo.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Had a front tire blow out and I have to say I am overly sensitive now and our first trip since the blowout is coming up in a week. We full time so when we weigh we are fully loaded with fuel, water, etc.

I put two new Toyo 144's on the front and would really appreciate any thoughts from those that follow the charts. I know some of you have your own reasons for what you do but I want to know if I am following the chart correctly on this post.

Toyo M 144 tires, 315/80R 22.5
Toyo specs from the sidewall is
MAX load single 9370 lbs at 130 PSI Cold

Weight from the CAT scale (I know it would be best to weigh each tire individually and plan to do so as soon as possible)
Total front weight of 8127 pounds

Attached is the only load chart I could find but it has 3 different sections for my tires. Only the forth one has a notation by it and that is to compare it to a different size Michelin. Any thoughts on how to read this and get the right answer. In the old days I would make a phone call but nowadays, I don't think I would get someone who could really answer it.

Sorry for the pics, tried to copy and paste just the info regarding my tires. The PSI chart would go over the tire size chart
You have to look back( 8127lbs+10% )/2 in that list is 8940/2= 4470lbs. But it ends at 80psi.
Checked the list to made with the European formula for all kind of tires, so a good list

Then second , these tires max speed is mostly 75mph or 81mph, wich allows more deflection.
What is your used max speed, and what pressure did you use in front.

So I filled it in my made motorhome-calculator.
But my lunch-brake is over, so to be continued.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tire pressure