Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #1

tire pressure monitor or not

We just purchased a 04 MA 43-01 and had new tires put on. I am undecided on weather to install a new tire monitoring system or not. Has one of these systems ever actually averted a accident or are they just a good warning device.
myliladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It is foolish to think that NOT having one can help prevent you from having a tire failure accident. They are a great device which can give you a early warning to a possible oncoming tire failure however they will NOT warn you of a sudden BLOWOUT.

TPMS systems are only one tool in establishing good tire maintenance and preventative maintenance.

I have used Doran RV360 and would not recommend them. I am now using Tire SafeGuard TPMS and I would recommend them for a solid reliable TPMS. I prefer using the CAP sensors versus Flow-Through sensors and do not recommend using any braided extenders or for that matter any extenders at all. They are just one more place to have a potential leak and problem.

One example for using a TPMS and this happen while using the worthless Doran RV360 TPMS. I had one sensor that was not reporting reliably. I was headed to Calgary and later in the morning a Canadian stopped me to let me know that I had a shredded tire on one side of my cargo trailer. Yup, it was the same tire which had the bad sensor. I had to replace both tires as it ruined the other one there when ALL of the weight was put onto that one tire. If the sensor had been working reliably it would have alerted me to a low tire pressure condition and I could have stopped and had it repaired BEFORE it got totally shredded.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the TST system. Can't speak to it having averted an accident, but can say I love the convenience. No more having to manually air check the tires when getting ready or on a trip. Just turn it on early during pre-flight, a few minutes later review the information.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
It is foolish to think that NOT having one can help prevent you from having a tire failure accident. They are a great device which can give you a early warning to a possible oncoming tire failure however they will NOT warn you of a sudden BLOWOUT.

TPMS systems are only one tool in establishing good tire maintenance and preventative maintenance.

I have used Doran RV360 and would not recommend them. I am now using Tire SafeGuard TPMS and I would recommend them for a solid reliable TPMS. I prefer using the CAP sensors versus Flow-Through sensors and do not recommend using any braided extenders or for that matter any extenders at all. They are just one more place to have a potential leak and problem.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Out of curiosity, why do you not prefer the flow through sensors? I have them, and like them ....
Old 10-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by myliladog View Post
We just purchased a 04 MA 43-01 and had new tires put on. I am undecided on weather to install a new tire monitoring system or not. Has one of these systems ever actually averted a accident or are they just a good warning device.
I agree with Richard. I HAVE to know that my tires are inflated properly. That means that I either can go through the manual check or use a TPMS. Although I'll do a manual check periodically, I rely on the TPMS for most of the monitoring.

I also agree that I wouldn't recommend the Doran 360 TPMS.

As for "averting an accident"... in my mind, if you get an early warning and take action to correct it... you HAVE averted an accident.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I considered it worth the price for the added peace of mind! I use the TireTraker system.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myliladog View Post

Good Sir:
My personal opinion only which you will likely hear echoed throughout all the replies.

You will not find a more useful product both for information and safety. A good warning device is the best way to prevent an accident. Under-inflated tires are a MAJOR safety issue and one of our biggest concerns.

Proper TPMS' are not inexpensive, but worth far more than we pay for them.

With Kindest Wishes for you safe travels.....
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #8

I check my tires manually before leaving camp. About 3 minutes including a few sips of coffee. Quiick, easy, and accurate.

I stop every 60-90 minutes to stretch, relax and "beep" the tires with my IR temp sensor. Quiick, easy, and accurate.

Each to their own ways.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #9

New tires put on recently--with two bad valve stems--could of been a disaster. After 10+ years of RVing w/o--descided to buy a TMS--{TST}. After the new tire/bad valve stem experience, decided a TMS is worth the peace of mind.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Well, the last 65,000 miles and 11 years I have driven without a TPMS system. I had no blowouts or rolling flat tires, an infra-red thermometer used at rest stops, and a good pre-trip tire pressure check.

But.....now that I am running 6 year old tires, I installed the Tire Minder/Tire Tracker type system on 10 wheels with no repeater. It has worked well for the few months it is installed.

It is always good to get new technology on an old rig to keep oneself amused and maybe safer.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
My Duran pressure pro (that I replaced last year with a TST) did alert me to a low pressure problem on the inside rear dual on my previous motor home. So I presume it prevented a blow out or shredded tire. The new system also has a temperature reading and I find that an interesting addition. Kind of nice to have tire pressure and tire temp in view all the time.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
My Duran pressure pro (that I replaced last year with a TST) did alert me to a low pressure problem on the inside rear dual on my previous motor home. So I presume it prevented a blow out or shredded tire. The new system also has a temperature reading and I find that an interesting addition. Kind of nice to have tire pressure and tire temp in view all the time.
Tpms monitors temp at the nozzle. Much less than tread or sidewall. Also many degrees off I hear.
How is that compensated for?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
Community Moderator

wouldn't drive out without it. press on the view button and go through each and every tire to know the pressure. then hit the road.
tire minder with repeater. all is good.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #14

Long ans, lots of experience here........

We have a tri axle 5th wheel. 3 axels, 15" tires, load range D, 80 PSI. Two years after we purchased the RV, running down the road I get flagged down by a passing car, rear tire shreded. In what was left of it I found a nail. I couldn't detect this at all from the drivers seat.

This is bad we thought, bought a Pressure Pro TPMS system. A year later, at 70 mph in traffic we get a alarm, i look in mirror and see tire flying everywhere, cars dodging the mess. We find $2,300 damage to the RV. At the time I see the pressure cap is still on the tire, however the valve stem is hanging on by a thread. Thought this was all part of the distructive damage.

New tire, repair of the RV (covered by insurance) and back away we go. 6-8 months later we receive a warning notice from Pressure Pro, when using their monitors you must use metal valve stems as the rubber stems cannot with stand the strain of the extra pressure sensor weight!! (After reflecting on the above event, I realize the TPMS system probably caused my above major problem)

We upgraded to steel valve stems. Two years later we are traveling and get an alarm. Pull over, find a soft tire, with a screw in the tread. In this case I believe the TPMS system saved us.

We are 50/50 on TPMS systems, or at least Pressure Pro brand.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure