Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2023, 10:02 AM   #1

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Has anyone put an after market TPMS on their Class A motorhome? Thinking of purchasing one for my 2014 Phaeton, but not sure where to start. Is installation a DIY or does a shop need to do it?
jmconder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2023, 10:14 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmconder View Post
Has anyone put an after market TPMS on their Class A motorhome? Thinking of purchasing one for my 2014 Phaeton, but not sure where to start. Is installation a DIY or does a shop need to do it?
Hi..
Been using a TST screw on cap 507 system on my 40 foot Travel Supreme for years.. Has saved me twice.. Also helped me contain a slow leak on my coach without having to check air pressure manually while traveling. One of the best investments I have ever made!
Good Luck
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:15 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I added them to my motorhome 2 years ago. This is the set I added
https://technorv.com/products/tst-50...43867517386972

They have been great. Just need to change out the battery in the sensor every year. TECHNO RV has a sale going on now that will give you $50 off with a purchase over $400
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:53 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is probably at least a 5-6 major brands of tire monitors. They're pricey, so don't try and save by buying an off brand, you'll regret it.

Depending on the length of your coach, longer coaches will need a repeater for the sensors to all talk to the receiver (monitor) without cutting out. Again, the quality units typically come with one.

Are you towing a car.....if so, personally I believe the toad should have tire monitors too, as a flat on your toad behind your Phaeton will probably not be felt until the tire has shredded.

I don't know about all the brands, but the most popular brand, Truck Systems Technologies (TST), uses two types of tire sensors. One is called a flow thru that allows you to fill the tire without taking the sensor off. It's longer and can stick out, especially on the front rim and could clip something. Their other cap has to be removed to add air. Personally, I believe once you add a tire pressure monitoring system, there is no need to be checking air at the tire. Just use the TPMS system to check each morning before departure.

Installation......it's pretty easy. Each sensor is setup for a particular tire. They give you a set of labels so you can attach to each sensor. You can start by making the left front #1, right front #2 and so on. Once you install the sensors, you hold the receiver (dash monitor) near that sensor and run through the set-up procedure, which is just a couple of steps. Repeat at each tire. Once set, the sensor will retain the information, even during a battery change.

You can also do this on a work bench if you know the position of all the sensors in advance.

Lastly, you'll find packages where they sell four sensors, six sensors or even eight sensors with the monitor and repeater. I've found the sensors, no matter where you try to buy them, are pretty much fair traded at $48-$50 each. On my coach, I needed 12 sensors, eight on the coach and four on the toad. I saved a little by buying the TST system with eight sensors in the package.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:01 PM   #5

We have TST and have noticed they are not extremely accurate. I think they are ok to spot leaks but I wouldn’t use them or trust them to set tire pressure. Don’t know why you would.
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:49 PM   #6

I have used TST and Eez-Tire. I was satisfied with both systems. I have TST on my current rig.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:28 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmconder View Post
Has anyone put an after market TPMS on their Class A motorhome?.............but not sure where to start. Is installation a DIY or does a shop need to do it?
Yes. I installed after market external sensors on the tow vehicle, since it did not have internal sensors, and trailer, although it has internal TPMS, and monitor all tires on a monitor mounted to the tow vehicle windshield. Installation is DYI.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:39 PM   #8

Have TST for 4 years now. Other than changing so batteries, no issues at all. Company has great customer support..
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJr View Post
We have TST and have noticed they are not extremely accurate. I think they are ok to spot leaks but I wouldn’t use them or trust them to set tire pressure. Don’t know why you would.
Ken,
I would check with TST on this. I have a TST system and it is very accurate with any other good tire gauges I have. I totally rely on the system it is awesome. I put sensors on my trailer and toad also.

A good TPMS is essential. When I hear coach owners say yeah I always check my tires before heading out... Yea right you are at a quick overnight stop and it is raining and cold and you are going to go out and get soaked to check your 6 to 12 tires?
It is great to know you have proper tire PSI when your parked but pick up that nail headed out of the parking lot and the party is over.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:56 PM   #10

The current crop of sensors I have on the coach for our Tire Minder TPMS are good to +/- 2 PSI, plenty accurate enough for checking tire pressures. The ones on the toad are off slightly more but not much.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 03:52 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've had my TST 10 system years now & it SAVED me BIG TIME the 1st season I had it on my coach/motorcycle trailer setup. Got a fast air loss warning for the right rear trailer tire at 70 mph on the I-90 in the August heat. Long story short got over & before total air loss & fixed the problem. Current setup is the new TST-770 monitor & flow Thru sensors. I switched over to Flow Thru sensors when I went with the TST-507 monitor & have never had a leak or any problems whatsoever with them.
groveln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:42 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well stated Rusty Kramer....My Thoughts Exactly!
groveln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:47 PM   #13

I use Tireminder I 10 system.
Works great, never had a leak.
Very accurate.
Can monitor up to 20 tires, so you can include your TOAD
The sensors have replaceable batteries too
Here is one one I got at Amazon
https://amzn.to/3G1RUlb
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:30 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I’ve had the EEZ system for about 8 years and have been very happy with it.
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, pressure, tire, tire pressure