Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #1

Tire Pressure Systems

Looking at purchasing a system to check Tire Pressure. I know there are a few out there, such as Tire Traker, TST and Pressure Pro. I am sure there are even more. Just wondered if there was one that more people suggest. I am not looknig for the cheapest, I really want one that will work. It seems that TST might be the best from what I am hearing. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

They are great to have and if you use the search function here you'll find a week's worth of reading material outlining the experiences members have had with various brands.

I've had the Doran 360 (10 sensors) on my rig for nearly three years now and I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend it. They just have too much trouble with the sensors (I've had to replace every one!) which need to be replaced if the batteries go bad.

I agree with you perception that TST seems to be a brand that people are pretty happy with.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I can't speak for the other systems, but I am happy with my TST system. I like that I can set my high and low warning points on this system instead of waiting for a warning after I have lost 10% of the tire pressure. I run 100 psi in the MH and my low is set at 95, so if I reach 95 psi my system alerts me.
I have been running this system since before TST became the Distributor. I purchased from the company in Colorado that ended up out of business. (other long story). When TST took over they reached out and covered any warranty problems we had from our purchases with the old company. They actually replaced my entire system with an improved system (longer threads & locking tool) at no cost to me. When I had a sensor fail in Mesquite, NV, I called and they sent me not one, but two new sensors overnight general delivery. All this at no cost and I did not buy the original set from them. That is what you call Customer service. On the 21st of Jan they will be at Quartzsite during the Big Tent event I am going to meet Dan and also purchase the new system that you can change batteries in. My old system has saved my old Toad twice. Once on a screw in the back tire and 2nd on a split on the inside of a front tire. This split had to have the tire positioned with weight on it at a point that would cause air to escape. When I took the car into Discount Tire they could not find a leak, even when the tire was in water. When they dismounted it and used tire spreaders they found the tire was splitting from within. Without a TPMS, any one, this tire could have blown going down the road behind the MH or while I was driving it on a freeway at 65 plus.
Regardless of brand of TPMS you buy, I for one would not be rving without one.
One last thing, the reason I chose the TST system over the others was the temp. monitoring. I have nothing to back up my thoughts, but I believe that prior to a blow out I think the tire temp will rise. Mine is set for 175. I hope I never get the opportunity to prove or disprove it.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with RickO. I have the Doran 360. I have replaced the 4 original sensors, they last just a little longer that the warranty. If the main unit fails I will be looking at the TST.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only issue I have with the Dorian system is the lack of replacable batteries. Other wise I like it. I need to replace all my sensors too due to dead batteries.

That said, it's saved me more than it cost already.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Pressure Pro and like it. It is simple to use and seems to be very reliable.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Any of the systems that will work reliably are a great investment in safety. I think all the good ones mention here will do the job for you. The 2 differences I see are user replaceable batteries vs. non user replaceable, supposedly no user replaceable has a 5 to 7 year life. The other variable for was the size and aesthetics of the monitor.

I have the TST and I am really pleased with it over the past year. I pull the sensors once a month just to verify they are correct and so far they are always with in 2 psi, more often than not with in 1 psi.

I agree with the previous poster, search the forum and you will finds tons of posts on TPMS.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am happy with my TST. "I" broke one sensor, then called TST and confessed what I did. They said 'it takes a little time to learn how to use the sensors" and TST replaced it free of charge. I call that good customer service.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #9

I have wondered if these systems are inherent for slow presssure leakage. I have not had to put any air in my tires for a year. My Escalade is good for re-air 3 to 4 times a year and it has the tire monitor system on it.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I had a 10 sensor TST and ended up returning it after multiple sensors and 2 flats due to leaking sensors ...best feature was their customer service. I now have a TireTracker system. The sensors are smaller and lighter then most others, and have replaceable batteries. It has performed flawlessly for the past year.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I've had mine on close to a year and no leaks. I put mine bare, no teflon tape, lock-tite or anti-seize compounds.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #12

Good info everyone....appreciate it. Now I just need to buy one! Thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #13

I love my TST 507. Cigarette pack size monitor, loud enough beep that my old ears can hear and I got a 20% discount by trading in my old one. Plus, you get a suction cup mount, cigar lighter power cord and a hard wire power cord, which I used.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I love my TST 507. Cigarette pack size monitor, loud enough beep that my old ears can hear and I got a 20% discount by trading in my old one. Plus, you get a suction cup mount, cigar lighter power cord and a hard wire power cord, which I used.

May have to seriously look at the TST 507 when we move up to a DP from out 5'er later this year.

Have the pressure pro now, but the 4 sensors are getting close to needing replacement and with having to but another 8 for the DP I could pretty much get a new TST for that price, like the idea of it being hardwired in.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote