Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
...If the tire pressure is between 100 and 120 I good to go for that days travel if not I adjust...

You should not do that...
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you explain why? I use 100 since that what the tire manufacturer says the pressure I should be running at that weight and the 120 is the pressure that on the manufacture placard. Anywhere in between those pressures should be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
You should not do that...
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Can you explain why? I use 100 since that what the tire manufacturer says the pressure I should be running at that weight and the 120 is the pressure that on the manufacture placard. Anywhere in between those pressures should be safe.
I agree with you, but it would also be fine to be anywhere between the minimum listed on the load chart and the maximum "cold" psi listed on the tire sidewall.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree and my max tire pressure on the sidewall is 130 but I have noticed even at the 120 on the front tires the ride is harsher than at 105 I try to keep them at. I'm sure not hurt anything but just a matter of comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I agree with you, but it would also be fine to be anywhere between the minimum listed on the load chart and the maximum "cold" psi listed on the tire sidewall.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by markarbogast View Post
Ok, here in Missouri during summer I have my tires at 95psi. But in the fall in the early morning the temp is low and tire pressure drops to about 75. After I’m on the road an hour and the tire warms up they are back on n the 90s again. If I inflated them to 95 in the morning they would way over inflated when the warm up. What to do?
If 95 psi is the correct amount to carry the load, then that is the "COLD" value you should start the day with regardless if the OAT is 80* or 30*. If you start the day @75 psi, the tires are underinflated. It doesn't matter that they will will warm up to 95 psi, they are still under inflated for the day. If you start every fall or winter day @ 20 psi below the required pressure, you risk having a tire failure due to under inflation. If you start every day at or above the required minimum, the tires will perform as designed safely.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
For several years, I have set the pressures of all the tires @ 5-8 psi above the load chart for the weight they are carrying. I set them on a 60* morning at a 1000' elevation. This plan allows me to travel up to 11,000' altitude in temperatures ranging from 35* up to 100* without exceeding the sidewall max cold psi or dropping below the minimum to carry the load. No need to add or release pressure for 9-12 months. The only drawback is that the tires will wear the centers more than the outer edges due to being inflated slightly higher than the psi required for the load, but the tires will age out before they wear out, so it's not a big concern. A quick glance at the TPMS in the morning is all it takes to know all is well for the day. I see no reason to make it more complicated that this.
This brings up the interesting point about the elevation at which you measure your tires. The pressure gauge is measuring the difference between atmospheric pressure and what is inside the tire. A 10,000 ft elevation rise will increase the pressure in the tire by about 4-6 psi. However, since air temps also drop with elevation, the affect of the elevation change is usually offset by the cooler temps.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982 View Post
This brings up the interesting point about the elevation at which you measure your tires. The pressure gauge is measuring the difference between atmospheric pressure and what is inside the tire. A 10,000 ft elevation rise will increase the pressure in the tire by about 4-6 psi. However, since air temps also drop with elevation, the affect of the elevation change is usually offset by the cooler temps.
That's why I can go from 1000' altitude and three days later be at 11,000' while the tire pressures stay within their design.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #36

Quote:
I agree and my max tire pressure on the sidewall is 130 but I have noticed even at the 120 on the front tires the ride is harsher than at 105 I try to keep them at. I'm sure not hurt anything but just a matter of comfort.
In my case the front tires require 115 psi and the Max cold for the tire is 125 psi, so I can hardly tell the difference, especially with air suspension.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #37

take a look at the addresses of many of these posts. they are not from Montana or nd or Minnesota. its absurd to change pressure if your gonna go from hot to opposite or reverse like when its 0 degrees in morning when you leave and get to New Mexico in afternoon. if you came from 85 degrees and went to cold do not change if your going back to warm adjust to where you are gonna be, and I don't mean for 8 hours.. its day or next at very least.. and use math for your psi's.. if your tire holds 15,000 at 120 psi then it holds 10,000 at 80 psi..

Tags
temperature, tire pressure