Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #1

Tire pressure when the temperature changes 50 degrees

In the Denver area the temperature can change 50 degrees in the same day, so what should you set your tire pressure?

I've read posts where folks are traveling and they adjust their tire pressure as they travel to new locations with significantly different temperatures, but what should you do when you're in the same geographic area and the temperature changes so drastically in a matter of hours?
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #2

Always set the tire pressure cold ; before the RV is driven for the day ; the heat generated by the tire running on the highway has far more to do with pressure increase than the outside air temp .

Every year I drive my coach from home where temps are about 40F to my snowbird site in three days where temps are usually in the low 90s and the pressure increase on arrival is within 5 psi of departure.
Considering my tire pressure requirements of my coach by weight when set to the tire manufactures charts are no where near max inflation, I don't worry about adjusting pressure on a daily basis.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the spring when it hits about 80 degrees here where I live I set all my tires pressures to 90 lb.

I leave them at that until the fall when it gets down to 40 at which time I again reset them at that temperature.

I've had days where I leave Clovis, CA at 105 degrees and wound up in 45 degree weather in Truckee CA. The next day I headed across Nevada where it was over 100.

I leave the tire pressures alone, elsewise I'd drive myself crazy resetting them.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #4

Thanks
Old 01-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
In the spring when it hits about 80 degrees here where I live I set all my tires pressures to 90 lb.

I leave them at that until the fall when it gets down to 40 at which time I again reset them at that temperature.

I've had days where I leave Clovis, CA at 105 degrees and wound up in 45 degree weather in Truckee CA. The next day I headed across Nevada where it was over 100.

I leave the tire pressures alone, elsewise I'd drive myself crazy resetting them.
Yes that's what I was thinking, I'd be driving myself crazy changing them.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #6

If you are sitting in one location and not traveling you do not need to adjust the tire pressure. Before you travel check your pressure and make the necessary adjustments.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
If you are sitting in one location and not traveling you do not need to adjust the tire pressure. Before you travel check your pressure and make the necessary adjustments.
True, but we do travel in the local area at least one a month.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:24 PM   #8

Set tire pressures to the Federal Tire Placard in your vehicle, and never worry about changing climate temperatures.
Wonder what people did before tire mfgrs began publishing load/minimum inflation charts?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Set tire pressures to the Federal Tire Placard in your vehicle, and never worry about changing climate temperatures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Always set the tire pressure cold ; before the RV is driven for the day; the heat generated by the tire running on the highway has far more to do with pressure increase than the outside air temp.
These two recommendations form the basis for a sound practice.

The third is: Don't adjust tire pressures after the coach has been underway.

Cold morning to hot afternoon- no problem.

Hot morning to cold afternoon- check the next morning (or before moving the coach again, whenever that is). If tires are underinflated, inflate to placard, or whatever is your chosen tire pressure standard.

Here's an interesting exercise: Take the GAWRs (Gross Axle Weight Ratings) for your coach, run them through the manufacturer's tire inflation charts, and then compare those numbers with the placard values. I have done this for our coach.

In April, the morning temperature can vary between 75 (Florida) and 15 (New York). The tires I inflated to placard in FL will be under placard in NY. I can mitigate that somewhat by inflating above placard in FL, within reason. By knowing the difference between placard and inflation chart values, I can choose how far to let the cold inflation pressures drift below placard before I drag out the compressor. Or, I can run strictly by placard values.

Here is the disclaimer: The values in the manufacturer's inflation charts are the MINIMUM pressures necessary to support the corresponding weights. Running at MINIMUM pressures puts you at greater risk of under-inflation. I read that under-inflation causes more blowouts than over-inflation.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
These two recommendations form the basis for a sound practice.

The third is: Don't adjust tire pressures after the coach has been underway.

Cold morning to hot afternoon- no problem.

Hot morning to cold afternoon- check the next morning (or before moving the coach again, whenever that is). If tires are underinflated, inflate to placard, or whatever is your chosen tire pressure standard.

Here's an interesting exercise: Take the GAWRs (Gross Axle Weight Ratings) for your coach, run them through the manufacturer's tire inflation charts, and then compare those numbers with the placard values. I have done this for our coach.

In April, the morning temperature can vary between 75 (Florida) and 15 (New York). The tires I inflated to placard in FL will be under placard in NY. I can mitigate that somewhat by inflating above placard in FL, within reason. By knowing the difference between placard and inflation chart values, I can choose how far to let the cold inflation pressures drift below placard before I drag out the compressor. Or, I can run strictly by placard values.

Here is the disclaimer: The values in the manufacturer's inflation charts are the MINIMUM pressures necessary to support the corresponding weights. Running at MINIMUM pressures puts you at greater risk of under-inflation. I read that under-inflation causes more blowouts than over-inflation.
Thanks, going to the scales soon. It will be interesting for me to see the comparison to the placard.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #11

haven't looked...but is there a chart / graph of the typical tire pressure increase based on ambient temp change and post pre-driving and typical post driving?
Old 01-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
haven't looked...but is there a chart / graph of the typical tire pressure increase based on ambient temp change and post pre-driving and typical post driving?
The accepted rule for a 22.5" RV tire is 2% change per 10* temp change. Keep in mind that it is based on internal air temp and not necessarily OAT.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #13

Rough figures.........for each 10*F increase in Temp/1 psi increase in Press

Set tire pressures 'COLD'....not driven on for at least 4 hours and before SUN is shining DIRECTLY on tires

Curious.......
How frequent does anyone check daily driver vehicle tire pressures??

I checked truck/trailer EVERY Travel Day Morning....which was weekly/bi-monthly
Now that we aren't FTng.........check truck tires WHEN I suspect a tire might be low or when SHE asks "when was last time......"
Funny how 'we' make RV complicated/OCD and yet think nothing of our daily vehicles (Unless they are $$$ pits/clunkers---had a few of those)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Checking tire pressure each day before you will be driving is more about air that may leak out though a bad valve and is more important than worrying about temp changes. After a while, good valves can develop leaks.

I have had several occasions where a valve develops a slow leak, which I would not know about if I didn't check. I also carry a compressor.

Tags
temperature, tire pressure