Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Just wondering if my tire pressures are correct. I run all tires at 98 psi. 90 is recomended but I here 99 % of blowouts are from underinflation or overloading so im to scared to go that low.

gross weight rating is 22000 and I weighed in at 18400. 6481 front and 11948 in the rear. with adjustments all 4 corners will be somewhat even.

I have 235/80 p225 110 max. michelins.

thanks
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Just wondering if my tire pressures are correct. I run all tires at 98 psi. 90 is recomended but I here 99 % of blowouts are from underinflation or overloading so im to scared to go that low.

gross weight rating is 22000 and I weighed in at 18400. 6481 front and 11948 in the rear. with adjustments all 4 corners will be somewhat even.

I have 235/80 p225 110 max. michelins.

thanks
Old 06-22-2007, 03:43 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are over "aired"

Michelin load table

The table show pressure and axle load.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
"90 is recommended" by what? I suspect that is the placard in the MH? Based on the Michelin chart, that would be the recommended tire pressure if you were running at your maximum weight of 22k (actually gives you a slight cushion). The vehicle placard normally is based on your maximum weight, or GVWR.

If I am reading the right tire on the chart, (235/80R22.5 LRG XDE, XRV or XZE) with the weight you indicate you are currently running, even 90 is overinflated, which can make the coach ride harder and the steering flakey. 98 just makes is more so. It is better to be overinflated for weight than under, but with the chart recommended PSI for your weight being 70 psi, 98 is sure more than I would run. I always pad my recommended psi's by at least 5. So, with your weight and tires, I would probably run them around 80 psi.

JMHO...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
90 is the recomended psi printed on the inside kitchen cupboard door. I presume you are right that it is based on the gvwr of 22000.

Rv dealership put 110 in the tires for me. Rough ride.

After reading your posts, while away for the weekend I have dropped down to 90 psi. The ride seemed smoother coming home. I will study that chart and continue to weigh our rig as wifey continues to load up the cargo spaces.

Thanks for the replies ( very helpful )

Steve
Old 06-24-2007, 03:13 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
According to the Michelin chart if I were at my gvwr of 22000, I should run the front tires at between 75 and 80 and the rear duals between 85 and 90 yet the kitchen cabinet tells me 90 all around.

Seems like they are padding the front tires quite a bit.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
AFC is right. The placard on my rig recommends 110 in the fronts. After I weighed it I dropped it to 95 in the fronts and 85 in the rear duals. That is still over inflated for what I am carrying, but I do allow for a cushion as well. The ride is much better since I am now running the correct air pressure. It will also help to keep these expen$ive tires from prematurly wearing out.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #8

I also agree with AFC. The placards in Motorhomes are genaric and the ONLY REAL way to know how much air pressure is needed, is to do a four cornered individual weighing and adjust according to your tire manufactors charts.

Also be careful that you have the exact correct listing for you tires. I have seen old and new listings for the same tire with the same load ranges so also note the maximum weight @ the maximum air pressure on the tire sidewall and refer to the charts. You may be surprised to see some differences in the weight ratings @ specific air pressures.

Precision Frame & Alignment
Dick L is offline   Reply With Quote