Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Tire pressures and wandering

My dad is on his first trip in our new '98 bounder 36s, with tag axle. I've driven it on on the interstate and while its definitely not my mini van, I thought it drove ok. Not great, but not bad. On his trip he said he was white knuckled the entire way. It moved all over his lane, and even cars made it move. He said he was not driving it back home until it was fixed. Now, I had told him to check air pressures, and I assumed he did. Found out today he had not, and the fronts were 85 and 72 psi. Didn't say what the rears were.

I told him I think the pressures were off enough that when he corrects them he will notice a big difference in the way it drives. So, is this a valid statement? Will there be a big improvement in drivability?

FYI, it is lightly loaded, low mileage current tires all around.
**yes we both understand the importance of maintaining correct pressures and rest assured this is the very last time that will ever happen**
Thanks!
burgman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

You answered the question with your last statement. If I was off 10 pounds it made a difference in mine
Mknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Correct response. If you are 3-5 lbs different it might not effect driving but much greater than that and you will realize a problem. If you've ever tried to push a vehicle with low tires you'd realize how much more energy to takes to do it.

Usually what you will experience is a pull to the low tire side because of the increased rolling resistance.

Just the other day I spoke with a tire guy (Joe) at a Good Year shop. He's been in the tire business for 40+ years and knows tires. If you run any tire with 6 or more lbs to low for much distance that tire may be ruined. There are many factors to consider but by doing that the tire reaches higher temperatures which will cause internal belt damage that will show up later down the road as a possible blow-out. Consider these factors: What is the weight on the tire, the ambient temperature, how much to low was it, how far was it driven, and what is the age of the tire? All these factors and probably some more all figure in on how much damage could have been done by riding with a tire that was greater than 10 lbs to low.

A good TPMS is a great idea to protect your tire investment. For less than $400, which is the price of one tire you can monitor your tire pressure and spot a low tire immediately hopefully before and internal damage occurs.

Ask me how I know?? Back in 2000 six of us were heading to Canada for some fishing in our 1999 DS. I was driving through KC and hit a chuck hole that I never saw. All of the coffee in my cup, which was sitting on a shelf next to me spilled out and the cup never moved. My inexperience with driving a MH showed because we just drove on. Just before we entered MN. the inner right dually tire shredded. It lost its air when I hit the hole and it took another 300-400 miles to destroy the tire. A TPMS would have avoided the blow-out and shredding of the tire. Had I checked for tire damage after it happened we could have leisurely found a tire shop in KC.

TeJay
Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

Thanks guys. There is a reason this is the best forum out there. It's because of people like you! Thanks!
burgman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #5

According to The Rubber Manufacturers Association any tire that is operated at 20% below recommended pressure is considered to have been run-flat, and should be treated accordingly. So for a tire requiring 100psi, and allowed to run at 80psi, a professional, de-mounted, inspection is necessary.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Correct response. If you are 3-5 lbs different it might not effect driving but much greater than that and you will realize a problem. If you've ever tried to push a vehicle with low tires you'd realize how much more energy to takes to do it.

Usually what you will experience is a pull to the low tire side because of the increased rolling resistance.

Just the other day I spoke with a tire guy (Joe) at a Good Year shop. He's been in the tire business for 40+ years and knows tires. If you run any tire with 6 or more lbs to low for much distance that tire may be ruined. There are many factors to consider but by doing that the tire reaches higher temperatures which will cause internal belt damage that will show up later down the road as a possible blow-out. Consider these factors: What is the weight on the tire, the ambient temperature, how much to low was it, how far was it driven, and what is the age of the tire? All these factors and probably some more all figure in on how much damage could have been done by riding with a tire that was greater than 10 lbs to low.

A good TPMS is a great idea to protect your tire investment. For less than $400, which is the price of one tire you can monitor your tire pressure and spot a low tire immediately hopefully before and internal damage occurs.

Ask me how I know?? Back in 2000 six of us were heading to Canada for some fishing in our 1999 DS. I was driving through KC and hit a chuck hole that I never saw. All of the coffee in my cup, which was sitting on a shelf next to me spilled out and the cup never moved. My inexperience with driving a MH showed because we just drove on. Just before we entered MN. the inner right dually tire shredded. It lost its air when I hit the hole and it took another 300-400 miles to destroy the tire. A TPMS would have avoided the blow-out and shredding of the tire. Had I checked for tire damage after it happened we could have leisurely found a tire shop in KC.

TeJay
SOOOO how did you like MN?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well we just passed through heading to Canada. Fishing is great but mosquitoes with numbers on their wings are tough. Were I much younger it would be a great place in which to spend more time. Yes the winters are very tough but I wintered in Maine twice (saw 60 below zero and had to walk up a mountain to work). Grew up in PA and IN for 18 years. After marriage we settled in MI. We have called AR our home now for 30+ years. Fewer people and a little less traffic with mild winters and good summers.

TeJay

Tags
tire pressure