Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #1

Tire Problems - Inside Rear Tires Severly Worn

What would cause my inside rear tires to suddenly wear to the point there is hardly any rubber on the inside of the rear inner dual tires. The outside tires are fine and no signs of wear. Wear is only on the inside dual tires and on the inside of those tires.
Hope this makes sense.
K5EAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
PSI the same? I do know that the roads are 'crowned' and cuase more pressure to be on the inside duals..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Yep...Tire pressure. Some are almost impossible to get to, but this is a good indication why you should...
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #4

Inside edge only If the tire presures were equal inner and outer I would have to ask a bunch of questions.
Did you have the tires rotated ? or have they always been in that posision?
How old are the tires ? Are all the tires on the rear the same age , tread depth? Brand? Is the wear consistant all the way around the tire?
You do have the remote possibility of a bent rear axle, but let's not go there yet.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #5

Very strange to say the least. I would check to see if the axle is bent or
possibly the rim. Check the torque in the lug nuts. I would for sure be taking the rig to a freightliner dealer or a tire shop that deals with big rigs.

The tendency to not check the air on the inner dual can lead to problems.
I installed Dually valves and now I have no reason not to check.

Bottom line is I would not go anywhere except to a repair shop and while you are there have them check the alignment

Let us know what you find
Bigd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Without more info, the wear was most likely not sudden and occured over time. Proper air pressure is the most likely culprit (extensions make it easier to fill these inside duals).
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I sure hope the cause is improper air pressure, because the alternative cause for your tire wear problem can get expensive.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. I too, am hoping it is just improper air pressure. There is NO bent axle. 2 years ago I replaced 4 of the tires (2 front and 2 outer rear) and left the 2 inner rear tires in place as they had good tread left and no weather cracks. I do not have the extension tubes on the valves so I expect my problem to be inflation problems. I have an appointment with a Tire Dealer in Picayune, MS Monday morning to replace the bad tires and install extension tubes on those bad boys. $1145 to have them replaced.
Will post my results and findings later....
Bill - K5EAG
K5EAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #9

Bill,JMHO. I would worry about putting tires with different tread depth on the duals. As the taller tire has to support more weight, and I know this could be considered marginal, and so develop more heat.
If the tire store says that low pressure in the inside dual was the cause of the wear, see if they can explain why only the inside edge is worn, and not the normal for a low pressure tire wear of both edges of the tire.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Bill,JMHO. I would worry about putting tires with different tread depth on the duals. As the taller tire has to support more weight, and I know this could be considered marginal, and so develop more heat.
If the tire store says that low pressure in the inside dual was the cause of the wear, see if they can explain why only the inside edge is worn, and not the normal for a low pressure tire wear of both edges of the tire.

My expectation is that if one set of tires on a dual axel is wearing significantly faster than the other, they are carrying too much of the weight. The idea is that both sides and both sets on the dual axle evenly carry the load.

I'd recommend weighting at least each axle and double checking that the whole axle isn't over weight. It would be better to weigh all four corners but I know that is sometimes difficult to do. From there, I would make sure that all 4 dual axle tires are carrying the same air pressure. Having them all have the same size tread might be important to that setup.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5EAG View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I too, am hoping it is just improper air pressure. There is NO bent axle. 2 years ago I replaced 4 of the tires (2 front and 2 outer rear) and left the 2 inner rear tires in place as they had good tread left and no weather cracks. I do not have the extension tubes on the valves so I expect my problem to be inflation problems. I have an appointment with a Tire Dealer in Picayune, MS Monday morning to replace the bad tires and install extension tubes on those bad boys. $1145 to have them replaced.
Bill - K5EAG

You have not checked your tire pressure on the inside duallys for 2 years?

Tires loose between 1 and 3 PSI a month.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5EAG View Post
Bill - K5EAG

You put a new Tire and a worn tire on the same side of an axle?

and you are going to do it again?

Talk to your tire Dealer, he should have better advise.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires