Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 10:25 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Tire purchase report for Atlanta GA FMCA

Executive Summary: Atlanta Commercial Tire, Ok but see if you can find a better shop.

If there is a better place to post this let me know.

Purchase and Install:

I chose Atlanta Commercial Tire because they got good reviews and were near where we would be camping. I worked with Mark Ceuninick. I ordered 6 16ply (load range H) Michelin Xline Energy Z part # 66205. The tires were $522 through FMCA and the install was $349. $32 mounting, $25 balance, $8.25 stems. The tires were 5 weeks old although I have only verified 3 of the date codes. The RV tracks and rides exactly like the original tires.

I would say I am marginally satisfied but can not recommend them because:
1. They installed 4 16ply and 2 14ply and only told me when I came to get the vehicle.
2. They got black handprints on the dash and seats and tracked copious amount of black dirt onto the floors and carpet. There are also handprints on the outside. Everything has cleaned off so no permanent damage.

Details:
The FMCS purchase process involves working with FMCA to setup an account with a credit card on file and then giving the tire vendor your FMCA member # as a PO number. When you get the tires you pay the install and they bill FMCA and FMCA bills your credit card the FMCA price.

In the early planning stage working with Mark we had decided to go with 2 16ply on the front and 14ply on the rear mainly because of availability and the fact that 16 ply was way over kill for the rear axle. When I called in to order the tires and setup the appointment Mark said the 14ply were hard to get and going with 6 16 ply would only cost $60 more so I ordered 6 16ply.

The address I was given was 991 Industrial park dr. Marietta GA 30062. The store has no sign or address out front or on the building but it does have tire brands on the building. Google calls it Marietta Commercial Tire. It looks very industrial. They seem to do most of the work out front on a concrete pad not in a bay.

I dropped the RV off around 8. Checked in and they said it would be ready no sooner than noon but before 5:00. I got a call about 9:00 asking for the "key" to get the hub covers off. Never heard of such a thing and didn't have one. They are not locking. They said they would figure it out. Got a call around 1pm that the coach was ready. The coach was out front in an easy place to hook up. When inside to settle up. Mike came out and said that we only got 4 16 ply tires and he had to put 2 14 ply tires on the inside rear. I was not upset because I really don't need 16 ply on the rear but I was not pleased because I was not given a chance to make that decision.

It took a while to get settled up and when I got back my wife was fuming because she had been working to whole time to clean up their mess. I didn't see the mess but I did see the pile of black stained wipes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 06:16 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That stinks, customer service is not what it use to be. It would have been nice to maybe show the mess the tech left to the manager/owner as they might not be aware the tech was such a slob.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes but she had cleaned it up. I didn't notice the handprints on the outside till we got back.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I used Atlanta Commercial Tire for 4 rear tires on out previous motorhome.

For $79 extra, they came to my house and installed them here. I was adding Centramatics, so no issue with balancing.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When purchasing RV tires Ask the for the specifications on the tires you are considering purchasing. One of the spec’s you should take under consideration is the rotation. This number is the number of revolution per mile. The range you are looking for is between 489 to 491. The lower the number is best. There is a website that has all this information.
Quick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:27 AM   #6

Kessler in Gainesville Georgia is a great place they do a lot of large trucks, local fire department, camping worlds tires………
Old 07-29-2021, 05:56 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

In response to you comment
"The range you are looking for is between 489 to 491. The lower the number is best"

... A more accurate statement would be ... match the RPM to how the coach was setup at the factory."
Thank you and safe travels to you and your family.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:26 AM   #8

obviously this business does most of their sales to commercial trucks, and cleanliness isnt a big concern with them. But it would have taken just a few minutes to wipe off their mess. fter all they did make a good bit of money. Probably and hour so for $350
sroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fairly typical of a commercial truck tire shop, I think. One of the reasons they are lower priced is they don't do a lot of novice/amateur buyer hand-holding. Commercial buyers know what they want upfront. I've bought coach tires in similar stores in Florida and Oregon.

You had already agreed it was ok to use LR G (14 ply) tires on the rear axle, so I don't think you were misled there. A phone call would have been nice, but lack of it is hardly an issue.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:31 PM   #10

Had Similar experience at Snider Fleet in Greensboro. No handprints but lots of grease around the sidewalls.

Their online reviews indicated good service for RVs.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:30 AM   #11

People just don’t take pride in their work anymore. I took my wife new car to dealership for a oil change service which has off white leather seats. Went to pick up, it had grease on door panel, console, seat let’s just say the first words that came out of my mouth was oh hell no. I ask don’t y’all have the plastic bag seat covers. He replied yes, well wouldn’t a 5 cent bag be better than this.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
That’s too bad. Customer service does seem to be slipping in lots of places and services.

Just got new Roadmaster 315/80/22.5 20 ply, RM830AP’s today. $475 a pop for 8. Great place in West Fargo, ND. Dakota Tire. Some grease on the rims and one tire was turn inside out so the date isn’t showing but did get 3 Dec. 2019’s, 4 2021’s and a 2020. Felt pretty good as it was hard finding anyone around here that had tires and assurances to get newer tires. Tried the FMCA program but Michelins were $715 a tire.

The roadmasters rode very well on the way home I thought and sounded great.

Good luck to you.
Schask is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, tire