Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2018, 09:28 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tire question

I am looking at building some leveling ramps for those campgrounds that were built by folks that never saw a level in their life. Here's my questions:

(1) I am thinking of building TWO ramps. Probably both for the back but could be for the front or one side of course. The Allegro Open Road 32SA I own came with 255/80R22.5 type tire. Does anyone know the approximate width of just one, and then of a tandem set (2 tires on one side) on the back? Mine is at the dealer's getting a couple of minor fixes so I don't have easy access. My initial thought is to build something with a 6' PT 2xsomething, then a 4' PT 2xsame-thing, and a 2' PT 2x also.

(2) is the 2' piece long enough to hold the tire, plus two decent chocks, plus a small "stop" on each end to restrain the chocks from sliding? IE if you were measuring, what is the distance from the back side (tall side away from tire) on one side to the same point on the other? Do I need to stretch the short piece to 3'? I plan on having three stackable pieces of wood for each of the two ramps, all with carefully drilled holes (on my drill press with boards clamped to be sure all line up together). I am going to get some of the biggest nails I can find, probably landscape nails, and use them to bind the three piece of wood together in a stack. I will have a set that is just under 3" long to use when two is enough, and a set that is just under 4.5" long for when I need 3 pieces.

(3) Is 4.5" tall enough? IE a weekend ago we could not get the coach level, the HWH system kept complaining about excessive slope, nearly raising the back wheels off the ground (a no-no) before giving up. We tried a couple of camp sites, but all were sloping toward the water.

(4) the reason I asked about the width of the tandem set of wheels is that I would like to have both sets of wheels on the ramp. I am trying to figure out what sort of width I need for this. I'd prefer one solid piece of 2x if it is doable. 2x12 is easy to come by, 2xanythingbigger might take a specialty lumber yard...

I also plan on taking a P.T. 2x12 and making 4 leveling pads for the jacks, making each leveling pad 3" thick with the two 2x12 pieces glued/screwed together with the grain at right angles to avoid splitting. That part seems easy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2018, 10:51 PM   #2

Bob, if you can measure any 22.5 DRW, that will give you an approximate width, but II am afraid that building a single set to blocks wide enough for both tires to ride up on will be too heavy and bulky to deal with. As far as length, I would just cut them to various sizes where the can stack them as you need to. I use 4X4's and 2X10s for everything I need, plus a few 10X10 blocks 4 inches high.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:13 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Minimum dual spacing for that tire is 11.2" (measured center to center of tire). Tire width is 9.9". One block for both tires to set on would need to be 20" - 21" wide. It would be easy to make & handle using individual blocks for each tire.
If using chocks in addition to park brake, place them at tires still on ground.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The tires fit nicely on top of 12" wide planks

I use 2x12's myself, 3 feet long, then I can stack and so as needed

I started with stair steps
1Foot
Two Feet
Three feet long
But I truly do not like them that much

Now I use all 3 feet plank two wide under the rear and one under the front

I have 3 foot and one foot lengths

If I need one plank,, Easy
2 planks Use a 3 foot and then one foot on top of it centered
3 planks Use a 3' then another 3' then center 3' on top ten the 1foot centered

Or lay 1 sideways (Rear) and a 1 foot )(Front) then 3 foot 2 deep then one foot on top centered.

And so on.