Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Exclamation Tire Question

I have an outer rear tire suddenly losing about 6psi per day, I'm positive it's from a road hazard. Fortunately I'm about 8 miles from a tire facility, I can air it up and drive it over.

What should I expect a repair(patch) to cost(if it's repairable)?
About how long does it take to remove an outer tire and replace it?
Anything I should document with photos etc. to turn in to Campers Edge or Coach Net for reimbursement?

Any other tips?

Thx,
Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #2

If you have road hazard protection for your tires call your carrier first before you do anything and get their approval. They will tell you what they need to prove the damage.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #3

I had to repair a 245/75r19.5 from a puncture would (nail) last year in New Hampshire. It was a rental unit and i had put air in it every day of the first 3 days of my 3 week rental. Found a tire shop and I showed up right at the opening bell. $60 and an hour later we were back on the road. I tossed them a $20 tip for getting right on it for us.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #4

As an aside:

Prior to having any work done - walk around the rig, inside and outside and take a video of your body, tiles, cabinets, etc.

Then, when you pick up and see fractured fiberglass, extra scratches, cracked glass, etc. you will have a time-date stamped "before."

If you have the courage (as we all can find) you can even tell the service person(s) that you have recorded the condition of your rig - "to help protect us both in case there might be confusion when the job is completed." And, you can also write in a comment on your service order that the rig's condition has been documented.

No surprise, no argument. Paranoid or Proactive?
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

They have to dismount and remount the tire, and also re-balance it if it had Equal or other "bead" balancing. The repair "plug" itself is inexpensive . Figure anywhere from $40 to $75.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #6

I recently had an inside tire with intermittent loss of air. I called the tire shop across the street to ask if they had time to repair my tire. They said yes, come in and park under the covered truck tire area.

Three hours after arrival, a nice guy arrived to address my tire issue. Thirty minutes later, he had discovered the rubber washer on the valve stem was leaking, had replaced the valve stem and I was ready to go.

My suggestion is that you stay there and observe the repair. Because my repair was on an inside tire, the nice guy removed the outer tire and started to lean it against the side of my motorhome. I asked him nicely if he wouldn't mind leaning the tire against the building. He did so and was not offended, but I would not have been happy to have that gone unnoticed had I not been there. It only took a polite reminder about the placement of the tire that he was not working on a truck where he habitually leans tires against the truck.

It was a good experience overall, but I have always found it better to be there rather than not when work is performed to avoid surprises. I had the time to wait, read and have lunch, so the wait time time was not wasted. The service, once started, was quick, done carefully and completely, all for $14.
Sherpa Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Very good info, thanks for the replies!

Steve
Old 11-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a flat on an outside dual (315/80 22.5). Cost me $45 for the service truck and repair. Kid just popped the outside bead off and put the patch on.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:48 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I had a flat on an outside dual (315/80 22.5). Cost me $45 for the service truck and repair. Kid just popped the outside bead off and put the patch on.

Wow, sounds like a deal to me! Guess I need to get it done.

Thx,
Steve
Old 11-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #10

The general rule is if the puncture is in the tread area, then it is likely patchable (best is from the inside). If the puncture is in the sidewall of the tire, replace the tire.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
This was an interesting thread read. Here's a list of things to remember.

1. Any type of tire warranty offered by your insurance the company MUST be notified and approval given BEFORE work begins. They will find any excuse to void your claim and that's one they use.

2. These type of tires and the weight they bear need to have a patch installed on the inside. Tire plugs are not usually recommended. Yes they will work but should not be trusted.

3. There are basically two size tires used on RVs: 19.5" and 22.5". The average person can R&R the 19.5" tire but not usually the 22.5" tire. The 19.5" tire requires only 150 FT/LB for the lugs but the 22.5" tire requires 450 FT/LBS.

4. If you ever get the chance to watch a tire tech Remove & Replace a tire from a rim on a 22.5" tire you'll be in for an amazing treat. I'd put that skill in a category of a fine art in the demonstration and use of levers, fulcrum points and friction control. Those folks earn their $$$$$$$.

5. The video idea is a great one as well. Nobody care as much about your rig as you. Don't make the assumption that a technician does because most of them don't and won't take as much care as you will. If you are close by watching they will also do more to protect your stuff. Just why to you think they almost always post the sign telling you that you are not allowed to be in the service area because of insurance reasons. I have had garage owners tell me the insurance company does not care but the techs don't like folks watching.

6. There are many, many ways shops and technicians have developed to cheat folks out of their $$$$$$$. If you are home at your favorite shop things are usually better. You the owner can help yourself by increasing your knowledge so you can ask the right questions and perhaps avoid being cheated.

Years ago our Daughter and SIL moved to Denver. I got a call from our SIL because he was in a shop for a broken muffler hanger and they told him he needed new brakes. We had done the brakes 6 months before they moved so he questioned them then called me. I got on the phone with the tech and we both realized there really was nothing wrong.

On several occasions I've been called by RV owners on these forums asking for advice while they had their RV in a shop. I'm always willing to do that. Nobody likes to see folks ripped off.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, I went to a TA Travel Center today, they had several 18 wheelers getting tires repaired/replaced.

Told them I had a motor coach I wanted to bring by, they told me don’t bring it, “we don’t work on motor coaches”. Amazed me.....

Steve
Old 11-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
Wow, I went to a TA Travel Center today, they had several 18 wheelers getting tires repaired/replaced.

Told them I had a motor coach I wanted to bring by, they told me don’t bring it, “we don’t work on motor coaches”. Amazed me.....

Steve
Interesting, had a tire problem and went to TA in Ohio who replaced the tire from 2AM till 3AM. So, must be your local TA rules.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dav L is correct. It's a local thing. If a shop wants or needs the business they will take RV's.

We have a local shop that used to be called, "Wing Foot". I think they used to be around some pats of the US but maybe they've changed names. They primarily do Semi tires and other semi repairs. I met the Shop foreman and he welcomes RVs for tires and alignments.

I have a student that owns a tanker repair shop and I asked him about RV repairs. His answer was,"If I can't lift the hood and walk into the engine compartment I don't work on it."

Shops don't like RV's because of potential scratches, dings and grease getting on the carpet etc, etc. Can't say as I blame them as long as they are not hurting for business.