Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2020, 11:21 PM   #15

This is only my opinion and personal preferences ...we all have our own opinions on tires so please understand that this is only my own opinion and others will disagree:

1. Go the middle road pertaining to price and spend a bit more and go with a Toyo, Yokohama, or Sumitomo.

Long March is a Chinese brand tire that is very popular in very heavy duty applications there in Canada. I'm not sure if it is actually made in China but it's a Chinese company. For me, I prefer to stay away from tires that are made by Chinese companies. Yes Chinese-brand tires are much less money. Some are good values, others not so much. Chinese tires have come a long way in the past few years especially in the commercial trucking industry because of their low prices and increasingly better quality. LongMarch has a good reputation, however, especially in Canada.

2. I personally prefer tires made by the Japanese (or South Korean) companies. The are a bit more money than the Chinese branded tires but much less than the first tier tires like Michelin, Goodyear, etc.

3. Toyo is a very popular replacement for the OEM Michelins and if you do a search on this forum there are dozens of threads on the subject and you'll see that it probably is the number one choice to replace Michelins. The parent company is a Japanese corporation.

4. Yokohama and Sumitomo commercial truck tires are made by U.S. subsidiaries of Japanese companies. Good value and you're getting excellent quality for a good price. They both have plants in the U.S. that produce commercial truck tires so you in all likelihood would be getting a product that was produced in the U.S. with those two brands.

I too would encourage you to stay as close to the OEM size as you can. That way, you don't have to worry as much about clearance issues or distance between duals, etc.

Therefore, as others have said, go with size 245/75R22.5 which is considered the closest replacement to the OEM Michelin proprietary size 235/80R 22.5

My top choices for a 245/75R22.5 would be:

1. Toyo M154
2. Yokohama RY103
3. Sumitomo ST719

They will all be a bit more in price than a LongMarch ...probably in the low $300s a piece but not sure in Canada. Have your dealer price those three so you can at least get an idea of where you stand in comparison to the Long March.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
I agree completely with all the points Theron made. Our neighbor just replaced all his Michelin tires with Toyo. The size mentioned is a correct alternative. His old tires were 7 years old and had 35,000 miles on them. He found the new 245/75R x.22.5 Toyo’s to be much better in price and a much better ride. Good luck on your choice!
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:13 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I’ve got Coopers. I replaced all 6 for around $2k. Super quiet and the coach rides super smooth.
ivan_drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:05 AM   #18

I have nothing against Cooper tires. However, two things 1) I've been told that none of their Roadmaster truck tires come in that 245/75R22.5 size, and 2) many of their Roadmaster models are made in their plant in China. Nothing really wrong with a tire being made in China if they are branded and backed by a big reputable company like Cooper but I'd still prefer one of the three tires I listed previously. But be sure to run it by your dealer to see if there is a Cooper Roadmaster that might work if you do like the Cooper name.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #19

I agree the 275 will give you problems. Stay closer to the original 235.

I had problems withe the original equipment Michelins on my coach. They lasted 19K miles and were worn out and separated.

I've had great service with Hankooks. I recently put Sumitomos on the rear and they balanced out nice and ride smooth. I went Sumitomo this time because I could not find he Hankook size locally.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:05 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tire question advice

fishcamp.....
I just went through a very similar decision process.
1st... if you got 8 yrs service from a set of Michelin XRV, you’ve done very well indeed. The XRV line had a lot of sidewall cracking problems, many resulting in blowouts. You must have cared for them pretty well.
Just today I replaced my 8 year old Michelin XZA2s (size 275/70/22.5). I may have gotten another year or two out of them— a few were just starting to show hairline cracks— but we’re embarking on about 3700 miles, so prudence takes priority.
With 8 years on my Michelins I was sore tempted to replace them in kind, but even with discounts they remain expensive. I went with Sumitomo ST719, a fairly new product line from a well known company, has received very good reviews from MH owners and commercial operators, and as a bonus, made here in USA. Price was a bit over half of Michelin, so with mounting, new valves, and balance beads I was right around $2100. I’ve only driven them 7 miles on county road today back from town, so I can’t offer an opinion yet.
Good Luck with your choices.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:06 PM   #21

I went with Toyo tires. Below is a link to Simple Tire and what they have and prices.

https://simpletire.com/brands/toyo-tires/m154

Tags
advice