RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
OK thanks. I think I'm getting this. One other question. Where do I find on my coach, the tag or whatever, the maximum weight, gvw, gvwr etc. where is that bugger?
Thank you.

There should be a sticker on the sidewall to the left of the driverís seat. It should list the GVWR; GCWR and the GAWR for each axle. It should also have the tire size and the inflation required to carry the GAWR.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Dual tires do not add much if anything to the weight rating of the rig. First off they add 150lbs or so. What they do is add stability to the MH. If you check the rating of 2500 and 3500 series PU trucks you will see what I am saying. If a person on a ranch or farm uses dirt roads allot he would benefit from a dually. MH's benefit mostly from a smoother ride and more stability when passing our friends the Truckers.

Q
Are you implying that a pair of dual tires will only be able to carry 150lbs more than a single tire of the same size? If so, that's not correct. A pair of duals can carry just short of double the weight of a same sized single.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Are you really saying that other than stability, the dual tires on the 22,000# rear axle of my motorhome contribute very little to achieving its rating?? Did I misunderstand your point??
Yes I am. This has been a well worn topic for years. If you go to a tow rating chart for PU trucks, for example you will not see much difference at all between the 2500 and 3500 vehicles as far as towing and GVWR is concerned in many cases. These things are rated for reasons other than tires. Brakes, for one, the stopping ability of the brake system is a concern. Also the extra wheels, rims and hardware will add weight to the coach before any additional capability is considered.

If you add an extra tire on each side that is not the same as making the existing tire twice as big. One tire can be under inflated putting most of the responsibility on the other tire. Some people will replace four of the six tires on a tag axle coach and put the worn tires on the inside of the dual axle. All this does is cause the outside tires to wear out faster until they become the same size as the smaller inside tires.

Any recent improvements in transmissions and brakes as well as cooling ability of the cooling system may have added to the abilities in recent years but I can not speak to that.

Q
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Yes I am. This has been a well worn topic for years. If you go to a tow rating chart for PU trucks, for example you will not see much difference at all between the 2500 and 3500 vehicles as far as towing and GVWR is concerned in many cases. These things are rated for reasons other than tires. Brakes, for one, the stopping ability of the brake system is a concern. Also the extra wheels, rims and hardware will add weight to the coach before any additional capability is considered.

If you add an extra tire on each side that is not the same as making the existing tire twice as big. One tire can be under inflated putting most of the responsibility on the other tire. Some people will replace four of the six tires on a tag axle coach and put the worn tires on the inside of the dual axle. All this does is cause the outside tires to wear out faster until they become the same size as the smaller inside tires.

Any recent improvements in transmissions and brakes as well as cooling ability of the cooling system may have added to the abilities in recent years but I can not speak to that.

Q
What you are saying applies to 3/4 and 1 ton pickups and I agree, but not to class A motorhomes. Two 295/80X22.5 tires on my coach are maxed out at 15,680# @120 psi. Four of those tires will support 22,000# @95 psi. If it had a 26,000# axle, it would do that @105 psi. The brakes and transmission are rated for that much. Those two tires and aluminum wheels add less than 400# to the coach.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #19

Simple example:

My rear axle is rated at 13,500 lb.

The stock Michelin tires are rated at 4080 lb single. So two of them would not support the rear axle. Not for long, anyway.

In dual configuration, they're rated for 3860 lb per tire. For four tires, that's 15440 lb. Good to go. If the rear axle is fully loaded to 13,500 lb, each tire will carry only 3375 lb.

Sometimes one tire of a dual pair will carry more of the weight, but you want to minimize that by keeping the pressure matched, monitoring temperatures, etc.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:18 AM   #20

Quote:
What you are saying applies to 3/4 and 1 ton pickups and I agree, but not to class A motorhomes. Two 295/80X22.5 tires on my coach are maxed out at 15,680# @120 psi. Four of those tires will support 22,000# @95 psi. If it had a 26,000# axle, it would do that @105 psi. The brakes and transmission are rated for that much. Those two tires and aluminum wheels add less than 400# to the coach.
Respectfully I dont see why you are comparing axle ratings and tires air pressure. Many people think that doubling the number of tires will double the GVWR of the chassis and it just is not the case.

Q
Old 11-15-2017, 08:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Respectfully I dont see why you are comparing axle ratings and tires air pressure. Many people think that doubling the number of tires will double the GVWR of the chassis and it just is not the case.

Q
At no time did I mean to imply that two more tires would double the GVWR. My point was that two more tires does more to achieving the axle rating than just adding stability. In my case, it increased the legal capacity by 50% and could increase it more if the axle rating was higher.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:58 AM   #22

Quote:
At no time did I mean to imply that two more tires would double the GVWR. My point was that two more tires does more to achieving the axle rating than just adding stability. In my case, it increased the legal capacity by 50% and could increase it more if the axle rating was higher.
I am sorry if you thought i was referring to you with that comment. I meant it as a general statement partly because I used to think the same and was surprised when I started to read up on the issue.

I still dont see the difference between a Motorhome and Truck as far as the effect a dual axle will have over a single axle. We are talking about adding two extra tires and wheels in both cases.

By the same token I dont know if the same package can be bought in the case of a Motorhome as can be regarding a Light Truck. Can you get the single / dual option in the same model Motorhome Chassis? The differences in engine. brakes, transmission etc between a 3500 or 2500 series truck are non existent for the most part. I can see in the case of a tag axel but not a dually.

Q
Old 11-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #23

I'm not aware of an option of single rear tires vs duals. They would have to be super singles. Now, some coaches are coming with 24,000# rear axles and would require a tire with a minimum 12,000# capacity. Probably not practical and maybe not economically feasible. That would also eliminate the option to rotate tires. I'm sure some engineer somewhere has decided duals are a better way to go.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #24

Are they on MHs? Will they see service on MHs?

The Michelin X one ZXUS (455/55R22.5) is becoming more and more popular in the trucking industry. In single applications they provide 11700# of load capacity at 130 PSI. Their speed rating is 75 MPH.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote