Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2018, 06:20 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philswrench View Post
If you are going to run max pressure , you should make sure to set your max pressure with the tires hot and carrying the weight you normally carry
Please, do not follow this advice!

Most tires have it stamped right there on the sidewall, the "cold" psi required for maximum load.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #58

Ok class, Philswrench has to stand in the corner for not paying attention, LOL
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philswrench View Post
If you are going to run max pressure , you should make sure to set your max pressure with the tires hot and carrying the weight you normally carry
WOW, where did that idea come from? If I were to do that, the cold pressure on the steer tires would be at least 10 psi below the minimum required to carry the load. A failed tire would be in my future.

It's the false information like the above, that some people actually believe, helps confirm to me that at the very minimum there should be a written test or certification for the most basic safety issues needed for operating a motorhome. To drive a commercial delivery truck, one must pass a written and driving test. Yet, someone who has never driven anything but a car can drive off a lot in a class A motorhome. All he has to know is how to start it and shift into gear. Is it just me or is that crazy??
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #60

Check your weights in the tire charts and subtract 50 lbs for heat expansion ha ha.......
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
bingo
my coach manual says front 120 psi, rear 110 psi.
my tire wall prints minimum 120 psi cold to support xxxx lbs of load.
i keep front 120 psi, rear 115 psi.
it has been good since 6 years ago.
I hate these tire discussion threads because we make this so much more complicated than it is.

How is it for years, (OTR) truckers have survived without racking their brains over this topic???? Could it be by just reading and following the numbers on the side of the tire? Works for me, and has for years.

As for age of your tires, the condition, and whatever it takes to mitigate the chances of major damage to your coach, or what minor damage are you willing to accept to you truck.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:50 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The pressure on the side of truck type tires is not the maximum cold pressure. It is the minimum cokd pressure to support the maximum ration of the tire. The design takes into account the pressure build up due to heat. That's the reason all pressure recommendations are for cold pressure. NEVER reduce pressure on a hot tire, you'll be too low when cold.
What I'm posting comes directly from the tire manufacturers manuals, please read them.

It's sad that so many will put on the blinders and not take this advice.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #63

Tire Replacement intervals???

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah
RU499, as an ASE Master Technician I would strongly recommend that you lower the tire pressures to the recommended pressure or to the pressure weight table recommendations. The tire pressure will increase quite a bit when the tire gets hot and you will be severely overinflated. Please google Motorhome tire inflation. You are putting yourself and others at risk. You have been very lucky If you have a 10y/o tire with max pressure and haven’t had a problem.

... sigh...,

My confidence in ASE trained personnel is slipping. Running tires at max cold psi, as stated on the sidewall, will not put anyone in danger nor will the tires be overinflated. Yes, tire pressure increases when the air inside gets hot. Tire manufacturers know this, which is why they state max COLD psi. This is tire-101.

Surely you have been told this, being a master tech and all. New to the tire world?

I had to delete my first response to this (ASE trained tech).

Too hard to keep it clean and respectful.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #64

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
It's sad that so many will put on the blinders and not take this advice.

Yah and too bad I didn't spell check before posting!
Quote:
The pressure on the side of truck type tires is not the maximum cold pressure. It is the minimum cold pressure to support the maximum rating of the tire. The design takes into account the pressure build up due to heat. That's the reason all pressure recommendations are for cold pressure. NEVER reduce pressure on a hot tire, you'll be too low when cold.
What I'm posting comes directly from the tire manufacturers manuals, please read them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdeertz View Post
I have a 2 year old Class A that I’ve put about 22k miles on. My intent has always been to wear the tread out before the rubber goes bad. Your reply implies that the tires are good for 80k-100k miles, is that correct?

With regular use how many miles can I expect from steel belted RV tires on a 18k pound Class A? I have Goodyear RV tiires from the factory on my Ford F53.

Thanks
In my experience your factory Goodyear tires can blow at any time!!! My 1st was at 16000 miles. It was also my last. In 2 weeks all six were history.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:34 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Its funny you mention caveman because with this discussion about running at the max stamped on the tires I was thinking the ride would be like Fred Flintstones car with cement wheels
In 1950 Chrysler cars came with Goodyear CushionAire tires and the recommendation to run them at 24 PSI. In 1950 frame flex was a major part of suspension effectiveness.

In the 21st century we rely on springs.

P.S. When in doubt use the maximum recommended cold tire inflation pressure. Underinflated tires overheat and become damaged, and you can't heal them with increased tire pressure.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #67

Original question!!!!

WOW, so many dumb advises about tire pressures!!!!, The original question was how many years before changing tires? If you cain't read tire pressures on your sidewall from the MFG, you need to take it to a tire store and let them pressurize your tires.
BAMA BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:24 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA BASSER View Post
WOW, so many dumb advises about tire pressures!!!!, The original question was how many years before changing tires? If you cain't read tire pressures on your sidewall from the MFG, you need to take it to a tire store and let them pressurize your tires.
You will soon learn that when a "Tire" post is started, it becomes fair game for anyone that has an opinion related to tires. Seldom does it just answer just the original request without adding all kinds of somewhat related opinions and sometimes "Facts" that aren't really facts at all, but opinions that have been repeated enough times to take on the appearance of a fact.

Not sure what to read into your above response. I'm not sure which "Dumb" advise you are referring to. Are you one of those that inflates the tires to what is stated on the sidewall regardless of the weight it is carrying or do you weigh each location and inflate per the load inflation tables supplied by the tire manufacturers? Just curious.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA BASSER View Post
WOW, so many dumb advises about tire pressures!!!!, The original question was how many years before changing tires?
Yep. This question is one that comes up often, and the opinions expressed are all over the place. One has to be careful about following the advice given, some of which is simply heresay and uninformed at best.

First, the advice about "inspecting tires". Easy to look at them outside. But, inside? Who looks INSIDE the tires, to see if there's cracking or other wear signs in there? Answer: Obviously, it's not something owners can do.

What about the air that's been put into the tire in its lifetime? Ambient air contains moisture, and moisture pumped into tires contributes to deterioration of the tire carcass from the inside. That's a valid concern, one a lot of people don't consider. In my home shop air system, I have dessicator filters to capture moisture to prevent it from entering my tires when I air them up.

Bottom line for me: I've already experienced a front tire blow-out on a Diesel pusher class A, at 65mph, and business picked up briskly when that occured - the trip was ruined, with significant damage to the coach, as a result. Tires were 7-8 years old, and looked GREAT on the outside.

MORAL: Tires that look "GREAT" ouside are no guarantee everything's fine.

Conclusion: 5 years is my replacement interval, regardless how "good" the tires look outside, and how well I've cared for them.

Never again, hopefully.

And for "Crasher": No, I'm not one of those who "inflates the tires to what is stated on the sidewall regardless of the weight it is carrying".

I own the same "43 QGP" bus as you, and, having been in communication with the Tiffin Chassis Plant Mgr Gary Harris, I use the tire pressures he recommended, and they're different for each of our 3 axles, not "what's stated on the sidewalls".
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #70

Send a message via Skype™ to Robontheroad
Thanks fottip for bringing the thread back on track. Your experienced input is appreciated. I would also rather change tires early if it will help avoid a blowout.
Robontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement