Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #15

There are some great videos on YouTube aimed at training bus drivers - watch a bunch of them and then go practice in an area early on a Sunday morning when roads are empty.

One thing that took a lot of getting used to when learning to drive a truck is how to 'square the corner' so that you don't hit the curb. Sometimes this involves taking more than just the single lane if the roads are really tight. When turning right, this might mean that you need to cross the center line of the cross street to clear the corner, which might mean waiting a while at the corner for that lane to be clear of oncoming traffic.

With practice, you can learn how to position the coach far enough from the curb to successfully make a right turn, but not so far away that you allow someone to pass you on the right. You also need to know precisely where your pivot point is so that you can walk the coach around the corner without touching the curb.

You should also practice 'squaring the corner' on left turns as well, or one day you'll find yourself clipping the corner of a car sitting in the cross-lanes waiting for the light. Never ends well.

Once you learn this skill you'll be surprised how easy it is.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #16

Thanks Richard, I do square them and I know to get my hip past the obstruction before turning, the part I am still learning is how far is my nose going to cross the line into the oncoming lane. I need more experience, and certainly practice.
Thanks
Steve
'01 Country Coach Affinity 42 #6012 Cat C12 505hp
16 Wrangler
sbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
I scrubbed a curb with a front tire pulling into a dump station. I didn't really
even feel it and the side wall looked OK at first. But this soon appeared later.
It an expensive mistake, especially if the tires are near new, but lesson learned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05509.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	306918  
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Being they are over 4 years old I personally would replace them, if one would blow it could cause more damage than what the cost of new tires are. Just fuel for thought
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:57 PM   #19

How old are those tires??? That looks like serious damage for just a curb.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDisco View Post
How old are those tires??? That looks like serious damage for just a curb.
Doesn't take very much to do that to a tire if you hit a curb just right (wrong?).

I was driving a rental car a few years ago - brand new car and brand new tires. Hit a curb hidden in a snow bank pulling out of a parking spot. Didn't hit it hard, but I did catch the corner of it. Put a bulge in the sidewall the size of a softball instantly.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #21

They are just over 4 years old. I caught one of the ridges on the sidewall just right. I just installed new fronts, COnti HSR2 SA, and these (regional tires) do not have these ridges. I may switch to these in the rear if they need replacing.

I planned to stop at a tire place on our weekly move Monday, but had 2 simultaneous problems, found a safe place to pull off, and spent 5 hours under the coach repairing. Plan to stop at Loves in Newberry, SC Monday to see what they think. They are Continental dealers.
16 Wrangler
Old 11-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #22

What concerned me was those side wall cracks in the 3rd photo. If I had a tag coach with that much weight (or any coach for that matter) I'd take no chances especially tires at 4yrs. old. I'd replace the tires. To much at stake.

I've read several posts here over time where they had their "tires inspected" to see if they could con't another year and was told they're good to go. Off they went only to have a tire failure soon there after.

For me...if I question something I just fix it or replace it and be done it. But that's me.
Attached Images

mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

The sidewall scrub is nothing, but the cracking is worrisome. I seriously doubt if that is a result of the sidewall scuff.

If scrubbing a curb causes damage, it is almost always internal, i.e. a cord breaks in the tire body. Not often, but it can happen. It may or may not be visible from thre inside, but hardly ever shows on the outside. Scuffing the surface rubber is cosmetic only. All my opinion, of course, but it's an educated one from plenty of research.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:06 AM   #24

Thanks for all the advice. I had them cheeked out and the guy said I should get them off once he examined the cracks. I have since replaced them with Continental HSR3s on the tag axle (swapped the tag and drive to keep the new rubber on the tag axle only). Just had the lugs re torqued after 120 miles, and all is good.
Steve
16 Wrangler
Old 11-24-2020, 06:54 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
That was a wise decision. Thank you for letting everyone know how you resolved this.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

The rubber skin on the sidewall is largely cosmetic, so the question is whether that little crack is only in the skin or does it extend into the cord (tire body) underneath. The only way to be halfway sure would be to dismount the tire and look from the inside. I'm not sure the average tire jockey would spot anything more than major damage, though. They aren't tire engineers, and neither is the front desk guy.

Personally, I don't think that is worthy of the term "damage". "Scuff" might be a better term. It's more than likely the surface crack was there before you scrubbed the curb. These big tires can take a lot of abuse! I ran Continental HSR2 12r22.5's on the back of my coach for 6 years and I know I scrubbed a curb more than a few times.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr