Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2023, 11:49 PM   #1

Tire sealant

I just signed a purchase contract on a 2023 Berkshire 34B class A. Whoohoo! The dealer finance guy offered a bunch of add-ons which was expected. We arenít buying any add-ons from the dealer. I am going to obtain a solid exclusionary policy from ARW. We will be stored indoors, so the Diamond Shield paint protection doesnít make sense for us regardless of where we get it. One item that piqued my curiosity is a tire sealant. They are recommending I have them put MultiSeal Pro HD 2500 in my tires. Itís fairly inexpensive to do myself, but my question isÖ do people actually use this stuff proactively or just carry some with you in case you need it? Does it actually work?
GLFNSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2023, 12:20 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLFNSKI View Post
I just signed a purchase contract on a 2023 Berkshire 34B class A. Whoohoo! The dealer finance guy offered a bunch of add-ons which was expected. We arenít buying any add-ons from the dealer. I am going to obtain a solid exclusionary policy from ARW. We will be stored indoors, so the Diamond Shield paint protection doesnít make sense for us regardless of where we get it. One item that piqued my curiosity is a tire sealant. They are recommending I have them put MultiSeal Pro HD 2500 in my tires. Itís fairly inexpensive to do myself, but my question isÖ do people actually use this stuff proactively or just carry some with you in case you need it? Does it actually work?
As a retired fleet mechanic who has repaired many 1000's of tires, There are 3 things to keep in mind.

Yes, tire sealants do work in the case of many punctures. The sealant flows around the impaling sharp and retains the air pressure in the tire. This is not a permanent repair, but keeps you traveling.

When the time comes to try a permanent repair on the tire, you may have to replace the tire instead. Sealants are very messy. Coating the entire tire interior as well as the wheel drop center. Trying to cleanup the sealant is labor intensive as sealant leaches into the tire casing. The puncture is harder to find since it is sealed. Once found, the repair area needs to be ground down to original rubber in order to vulcanize a patch successfully. Some tire shops will not attempt repairs and only offer replacements.

Tire sealants and TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors do not get along well. Sealant literally plugs up the works.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:35 AM   #3

We used sealant in a small wheel loaders tires. The machine was used in handling crushed wood pallets. Lots of nails in them.

It worked until the tire would get a major leak that the sealer wouldn't seal. At that point the tire was unrepairable due to the numerous small leaks.

Sure it's an extreme example but I'd like to know if I have a puncture in my tire when it happens.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:53 AM   #4

One other problem is with the bead balancers. They glue everything together and you can never get the tire balanced again.

Ask me how I know..........................

Tom
Old 06-10-2023, 04:10 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I wouldn't be interested in it. It seems these dealers are always trying to come up with a way to grab another buck out of your pocket.

My other concern might be how it would affect an external tire monitoring system which is an item I would recommend to everyone if they can afford it.

I know when we bought our Acura MDX new in 2016, it didn't come with a spare unless you bought the all-wheel drive model. Instead, they gave you a bottle of sealant and a small 12-volt air compressor. They did leave the area for a spare, so I tossed the sealant and installed a donut spare.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 04:40 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLFNSKI View Post
I don't know if MultiSeal actually works, but it was put in my MH tires by the dealer when I bought it and has not caused any issues. (I do not have a TPMS system). If I have had any punctures I do not know about it. I have been told that it is another safety net in that it may help prevent a blowout from a punctured tire. It remains a liquid and does not gum up the insides of the tire, but probalby would not work with TPMS. The protection from punctures seemed good to me.
Thanks,
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:33 PM   #7

I agree with those that say a tire shop won't attempt to clean a tire up good enough to do a proper vulcanizing patch if needed, they'll just offer a new tire.

As for the sealant, yes it works, I recently put Slime in my lawnmower tire that leaked for years, it holds air great now. I also have some friends that off-road small motorcycles, ATV's and sand rails that use sealant in the tires with great success, but that's the limit of where I would use it.
Old 06-11-2023, 07:03 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with alank, liquid sealants are good for your lawn tractor, your ATV, etc. I would avoid it in auto and RV tires. The sealant is not a permanent fix for a puncture. Many tire shops will not repair a tire that has had sealant in it because getting a tire clean enough for the patch to stick is too time consuming.

Skip that little bit of incentive the dealer is trying to promote.

I've been RVing for >50 years. I've never had a puncture in a RV tire. I had one blowout. The sealant would not have prevented a blow out. I carry a small air compressor that is capable of pumping an RV tire. If the leak is small enough I can pump the tire and get to a repair facility.

Tags
seal, sealant, tire