Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2020, 08:10 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tire Shopping

Shopping for tires for my Dutch Star, and the Sumitomo ST719 just popped up on the radar.
Anyone here have knowledge of this tire, or Sumitomo in general? I know the name, but have never owned any.
Thanks!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #2

Covered in this thread:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/sum...19-453968.html
Old 07-15-2020, 09:39 PM   #3

Coincidentally, I just posted this in another section:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/sumi...ml#post5350119
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:16 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to you both for the help!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Shopping for tires for my Dutch Star, and the Sumitomo ST719 just popped up on the radar.
Anyone here have knowledge of this tire, or Sumitomo in general? I know the name, but have never owned any.
Thanks!

Last year I purchased Sumitomo ST719 tires for my rv. I went to the tire place looking at getting Firestone FS560 tires, and they priced the Firestone’s for me and then also suggested I consider the Sumitomo tires when I told them I was wanting a reasonably priced tire made in the USA. They said they have been selling and installing quite a few on motorhomes with positive results (I think that means no one was coming back with problems or complaints).

I had them use balancing beads and I’ve been very happy with them. Mine are 19.5”, but they also come in 22.5”. The tires were very reasonably priced, and the bonus is the tires are stamped ‘Made in USA’ on the sidewalls.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #6

Just to reiterate what I posted in that other thread (copied below) and to back up what Kirk has posted, the ST719 is manufactured at Sumitomo's Tonawanda New York plant. From what I'm hearing, they are now making most of their commercial line in that Buffalo-area plant.

Same case with Yokohama commercial truck tires. They are made in West Point Mississippi.

Even though we mostly used Toyo for our motorhome replacement tires, I strongly favor all the Japan-based manufacturers for the tires I purchase ...Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohama, etc. (and Bridgestone before the Firestone merger when they became a first-tier manufacturer). I don't want to pay the premium prices for first tier tires like Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc. and neither am I comfortable yet with Chinese manufacturers (plus the political ramifications) so using the tires manufactured by Japan or South Korean based manufacturers would be my first choice ...good quality for prices in the middle of the spectrum. When you can get a tire from a Japanese manufacturer that's made by their U.S. subsidiary like Sumitomo and Yokohama, it's ideal for me.

Off topic anecdote: one of the better cars we've owned is a 2006 Subaru Outback assembled with majority U.S. parts by a subsidiary of a Japanese company in Lafayette Indiana ...it's one of the toads we used and is still sitting around in our garage but it's never had anything go wrong. No major repairs at all and the only money spent was on routine maintenance. It actually feels and drives like the first day we bought it. Sure, just my experience as I know some say the same about their Chevy or Fords but most of my Chevys and Fords have had some major repairs that were required in the first ten years (but I haven't bought a Chevy or Ford lately ).

post from the other thread:
Quote:
Sumitomo is one of my favorite brands. As you may or may not know, the Sumitomo company can trace it's roots back to the 1600s and I think is currently in the top 25 largest corporations in Japan.

Their tire and rubber business started in the early 1900s but didn't really get going until the early 1960s. Good news is that the ST719 is now made in their Tonowanda New York plant (Sumitomo Rubber USA, LLC ). So you have a tire that has a huge Japanese corporation behind it but are buying a product that is made in the U.S.A. employing American workers. This is similar to buying a Yokohama truck tire ...another big Japanese company that has a good reputation that has a U.S. subsidiary and a plant in Mississippi that produces commercial truck tires.

Commercial truck tires coming from both those plants have the reputation of having innovative design and top notch quality and engineering.

For me, Sumitomo and Yokohama beat anything coming out of China even if you may have to pay a bit more ...but far less than what you'd pay for a Michelin of similar design.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote