Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2022, 09:05 AM   #1

Tire shopping - does purchase location matter?

The tires on our Class A are coming up on six years old, so I'm spending some time tire shopping. So far, I've confined this to our local area (southeastern MA), but we've got a trip west planned and I was wondering if prices tend to be higher or lower in other areas? If I'm going to be in PA OH IN IL MO OK TX NM AZ anyway, I could definitely add a day to my trip if there was a deal to be had.

I've also been shopping the various discount programs. So far the best deal I've found has been through the Tiffin club, but I'd be glad for any recommendations.

I'm also concerned with the date of manufacture. One vendor told me no later than 3 months from install date, others told me as long as 1-2 years. At present prices, each month of manufacture date would equate to about $70, so a couple of years old would be a deal-breaker for me.

(265/70 R19.5, FYI)
larry5b6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2022, 01:35 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Some options to reduce the tire replacement cost:

1. Buy in a state that does not charge sales tax.
2. Do an internet search for the tire of your choice and specify "cheap".....works for me, purchase them and find an installer.
3. Start calling around.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
When I shopped for tires last year I called 3 local stores, none had my size in stock but could get them. I wanted Toyo, none of the vendors could get them. I All 3 quoted the same tires and I assume pulled from the same regional warehouse. I ended getting Yokohama. So I went with the vendor who was closest and had the best price. When I went to get them mounted I a peeved when they were 6 months old. The vendor said it was what it was, take them or leave them, he didn't care he'd be able to sell them anyway. Didn't have much of a choice.

I don't think it makes much of a difference you get them but you'll need to call ahead and make sure they can get what you want, you can confirm date codes.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:33 PM   #4

Too bad you're not heading to OR or MT--no sales tax. Check for Les Schwab or Big O stores where you will be traveling.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:40 PM   #5

One advantage of national chains can be the ease of getting service if necessary, provided you can get to them. If you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere it probably doesn’t matter.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
One advantage of national chains can be the ease of getting service if necessary, provided you can get to them. If you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere it probably doesn’t matter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I see substantial price differences among dealers. Location may be part of it, but I think the best deals are at high volume dealers that handle truck fleets. They sometimes buy a certain size or two in truckload quantities and get good pricing they can pass on. Of course, it has to be a size you can use. You have to determine what size, load range you need, plus what brands are OK with you, and then start shopping around. Southeast MA isn't renowned for low pricing, so seek other sources via the internet.

Also check the tire buying services at various clubs (FMCA, etc) and discount services such as Simpletire.com and motorhometire.com.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We got good service, tires, and price from Sullivan's. You have to go off Cape for their commercial shop but it worked well for us. We have about a year and 8,000 miles on the Bridgestones they recommended and are pleased with them. They were about a month old and half the price of Michilins.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:21 PM   #9

We bought from Zurcher Tire, Monroe IN & saved enough over the FMCA member discount to make it worth the drive. (Can't speak to current fuel prices....)

They do NOT take appointments or do alignments. Steers were ordered, so I called ahead to verify that our tires were in stock & confirm our day of arrival.

Pulled in to the shop promptly @ 7:30AM & drove away, on 8 new tires, @ 9:30.
Cincy Steve is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location, purchase, tire