Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 06:11 AM   #43

Toyo truck tires come in sizes and load ranges to match RV sizes. Just make sure the size measurement and load range load range figures correspond. My Toyos were exact match on wheel and load range, and only 1/10 inch difference in tread width. What you don’t get is the alleged anti UV rubber compound Michelin claims, but my old ones dry rotted in six years just as I expect the Toyos to.
IMO stay away from any Chinese tire. Spend the few dollars for the Toyos.
mwirick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #44

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mteerjim View Post
After many years of health issues, I am feeling good and looking forward to getting my 2006 Dutchstar DP3815 out on the highways. Current Tires need replaced first. It came with 305/70 R22.5 Mechelins. I am being quoted about $850 each locally which seems way high. Can not find that size in another brand. Anyone switched to another brand and are please with them?
Go with the Michelins. They are worth the extra money. FMCA has a good Michelin discount program. Toyo not so good: 295/80 Toyo load capacity is 5000 lbs, while the XZA3+ Michelin in 275/80 is 6150 lbs/ Not sure about the 305/80 size but you can see the difference between the two. What ever you buy make sure the total load rating at least equals the axle rating you are putting them on.
merdon3538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #45

Send a message via MSN to e4services
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I'm also a Toyo fan and agree with what's been said. I also like Yokohama, Sumitomo, and Hankook.

I my opinion, I think the Toyo M144 is your best bet and what I'd go with in your situation.

Simple tire not too long ago I thought was selling the M144 in your size for $389.99 ...

I agree. As a small one man dealer, I am now sold on the Toyo M144. Made in Japan they ride SO much better.
And I love Simpletire. They too have been great, tires come LTL and take them down to the Truck Tire shop.
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #46

Firestone FS561 this is the tires I put on our 2001 4095 Dutch Star. Ride and steering is great.
imca4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #47

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

If you belong to FMCA they get a discount on Michelin’s. I have the same size and paid less than $550 for the tires.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #48

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
Look at Toyo tires. Probably about 1/2 the cost of Michelin - though they do not offer as wide a range of tire sizes.

I think Michelin makes the best tires out there - though they tend to also be the most expensive. For my Class A needing 22.5" tires I found exactly what I needed in Toyo purchased through Amazon. I think that Toyo also makes an excellent tire - as confirmed by my own experience with automotive Toyo tires and many web reviews.
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I own an over the road trucking company with over 200 assets on wheels and I've been at it over 40 years.
Whenever we order new equipment and the manufacturer offers them, we spec Michelins. Whenever we replace worn out tires we use either Michelin or Bridgestone.
You can always spend less than what Michelin charges for their tires. The lesson we learned was that the little bit of money you save upfront often equated to a lot of money spent at a later date while dealing with a catastrophic failure combined with needless downtime.

Just my two cents.

Jim
Old 09-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #50

Myself and a couple of friends have switched to Toyo 295x80x22.5s. The Michelans Are not only outrageously priced but have also developed a reputation for sidewall failures. I recently purchased a set of six Tokyo’s mounted, spin balanced & new valve stems for $2300 out the door. I did get a quote of $600/ea for the 22.5 inch Michelin’s From Wallmart. I believe that included mounting but no other extras.
Sodypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #51

Just replaced six Michelin XRV's at $495 per, a significant saving over retail - used the Michelin preferred pricing, just call Michelin, they give you a PO number and shipping addrss code,, then I went to a local Michelin truck tire dealer, they ordered the tires and installed them )yah, installation was pricey, but I do love the tires. Been a Michelin fan since 1964.
Bob
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdon3538 View Post
Toyo not so good: 295/80 Toyo load capacity is 5000 lbs, while the XZA3+ Michelin in 275/80 is 6150 lbs/
I'm not sure where you got your information, but it's wrong. My Toyo 295/80/22.5 M144's have a load capacity of 7830#, the same as the michelins they replaced. The ride is no different. The biggest difference is the $2500 I saved on eight tires.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:30 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Before you set an install date ask that the date code for each tire is listed on the invoice.
Great advice, I bet most of us don't even think of that when we buy. Tires, like lots of things are in most cases can be built many months before the consumer buys them and in some cases a year or more.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:31 AM   #54

Send a message via MSN to e4services
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdon3538 View Post
... Toyo not so good: 295/80 Toyo load capacity is 5000 lbs, while the XZA3+ Michelin in 275/80 is 6150 lbs/ ....
Well that data is incorrect, The M144 has a load rating HIGHER than the Michelin. the 297/80 is a 16 ply tire with a 152 load rating, that is 7860 pounds, the Michelin has a rating of 149. Not sure where the heck you got a 5000 pound load from.
THey both have an "H" Load Range rating
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #55

My son has a tire shop and he is running Yokohamas on all his heavy equipment. He is going to install a new set of them on my Acadia next month. He says they are good tires. He also likes Toyo. He says there have been a lot of people not getting the mileage on their Michelins that they thought they could get. My Michelins have 30,304 miles on them and they are ready for a change. When I asked him what the problem was, he didn't know, but he has had a lot of people off the highway (I-40) who have had flats or the tires were worn out before their time.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:01 AM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Bohr View Post
My son has a tire shop and he is running Yokohamas on all his heavy equipment. He is going to install a new set of them on my Acadia next month. He says they are good tires. He also likes Toyo. He says there have been a lot of people not getting the mileage on their Michelins that they thought they could get. My Michelins have 30,304 miles on them and they are ready for a change. When I asked him what the problem was, he didn't know, but he has had a lot of people off the highway (I-40) who have had flats or the tires were worn out before their time.
It seems lincoln only puts Michelins on their new cars since both of mine have them and my class As always seem to have them, too. When I was a youngster many many moons ago always thought Michelins were the best but now my opinion has changed, a lot! I agree what you say they seem to wear very quickly, my MKZ Hybrid has only 35,000 and need to change them very soon. My previous one same thing. I also find Michelins give a harsher ride and grip less. I switched my MKX to Toyo and loved them. In fact anytime I've switched over I go to toyos. Lot less than Michelins and a lot better ride and price all around.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote