RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2018, 11:36 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
OK, thought I had decided the important things in my next purchase of a class A gas motorhome. My list originally included the following "requirements" in a new(er) coach, primarily at least 3 years newer than mine, full paint, larger refrig (her "need"), gas/elect water heat, basement air, fiberglass roof, at least 5 seat belted positions.

Found one that meets these needs, Winnebago Voyage, but this model (32H) has the same 19.5" tires that are on my coach, and I had assumed most of what I would look at would have 22" tires. Like all other aspects of the coach, but was looking to get a ride improvement by going to something with 22's and am now hesitant on this coach.

Am I correct in my assumption that ride would be better with 22's?

All other aspects of this are great.

Thoughts....
I have been in the market for a 32H either winnie or itasca,i agree, the wants that wife and i have are the same, side by side fridge, basement air, i got to drive a coach on 19.5 and 22.5 and my seat of the pants says the 22.5 drove and rode smoother due to reduced tire pressure on the 22.5's. The 32h if it has the 32.5 as stock on the placard it has a lot of extra capacity for weight.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 04:56 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Simply out of curiosity.....

For the 22k F53, which comes on either the 19" wheel or 22.5", here is some comparison data from Ford and Michelin

The 22k chassis has an 8k front axle rating, and a 15k rear.

The 22.5" tire size is 235/80 (XRV) Load Range G
37.1" diameter
556 rev. / mile
90 psi yields 4,140#s load per side on the front
90 psi / 7,530s per side dual rear

The 19" tire size is 245/70 (XZE) Load Range H
33.6" diameter
619 rev. / mile
95 psi / 4,100#s per side front
95 psi / 7,760 per side dual rear

So tire pressure difference is only 5#s on the front and rear to support the rated axle loads, while the diameter and correlating revolutions per mile differ by ~10%.

I still question how the tire pressures relate to actual effective spring rate of the tires given the size differences, but not going to dig into that......
Added the Load Range (ply rating) to the comparison. The 19.5 is next higher load range = stiffer side wall so @ same pressure it will have less flex to absorb those small road bumps.

I needed to replace aged tires last Fall. In hope of getting little smoother ride I changed load range F @ 95 psi to load range G @ 80 psi to carry same weight but no noticeable change. If any the G @ 15 psi lower is slightly stiffer.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
I have had both 19.5 and 22.5 tires on Ford F53's.The bigger the tire the better the ride. The 22.5,s have more road contact for a better ride. I have Mt. bikes with 26in and 29in tires on them.The 29in rolls over the bumps much easier and is faster on the trail then the 26in wheels. All the Mt. bike racing Pro's use 29in wheels. The bigger the wheel the better and safer the ride... Happy Trails Chuck
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:28 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
As I re-read this, I just noticed what this discussion is missing; the reason why 22.5's seem to ride better: Michelin XRV tires... I'd be willing to bet a buck that everyone who's test drove the two sizes and 'seat of the pants' say the 22.5's are smoother, that every one of those 22.5's are XRV's. Our Allegro had them when we bought it 8 years ago. Our rig now has Samson drivers and Sumitomo's up front. And I'm here to tell ya, compared to the XRV's, the new tires ride like rocks. But I'm okay with it, for 2 reasons...

Reason 1: this twig--

poked this hole in the sidewall--

-- the inner wall of the outer right rear XRV...

Now, I'm sorry, but if the compromise of having soft & gooey sidewalls that provide the nice cushy ride is the inability to prevent a relatively dinky, dried up stick from penetrating said sidewall, I'll take a stronger sidewall, thank you. And for the record, while U-turning on launch ramp I ran the right Sumitomo up and off a curb pylon and it barely left a scuff mark... and last year while entering a grocery store parking lot, some idiot in a car who refused to move until I did, made me the idiot who had to drive up onto a 8" tall cement barrier, and I drove off the right edge of the barrier before reaching the end of it, and I heard the inevitable 'flooom' of the tire going flat. Much to my surprise, the steel rim was bent nearly flat, but the Sampson, barely a scuff... I'm pretty sure both of those dumb moves would've tore big holes in an XRV sidewall. But yeah, they do ride nice

Reason 2: price- I paid just a shade more than half of what XRV's cost at the time...

PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote