Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2022, 04:02 PM   #1

Tire temperature too high?

Just had this happen on the way back from a trip. I have issues with the TPMS in my Thor Tuscany 40RT RV because it wants to bitch and moan if the pressures are < 110psi, but the correct pressures for the weight of my coach (and I verified that with Freightliner support) is 105psi front and 100psi rear. So I tend to ignore the icon showing tire issues but eventually they get up over 110psi and it shuts up.

But at the end of the trip it popped up saying the inside right rear tire was 179 degrees! Alas I should have snapped a photo for reference but didn't and I did not really see what the other temps were. Pressures were fine, less than 120psi. I got home and unloaded the RV and put my hand on the tires and they both felt the same to me from the outside. After unloading I got in the RV to take it to storage and the temps did not go nuts, but the trip to storage is only 20 mins on slow back roads.

So I took it do the Freightliner chassis service location today to have them look at it, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what would cause it? I wish I had checked the temp of the left inside rear tire, as I have always noticed the inside rear tires tend to get hotter and end up with more pressure than the outside ones over time, probably as they get less cooling from airflow and they are right next to the brakes.

I suspect the issues is my brakes are dragging or something, so I hope they can figure it out. I did notice on the 50 mins trip to the service center, that tire did get up to about 132 degrees and the pressure was higher that the left. The left inside got to 123 degrees and the outside tires were about 112 degrees each. Fronts were 112 also.

I have noticed some brake smell in the cab at times since we got the unit a few months back even when driving on flat roads which also leads me to believe something is dragging in the brakes?
bossman2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2022, 07:13 PM   #2

If in fact that inside tire is much warmer than the others, it very well could be a brake hanging up. My inside drive tires were always within 2 psi of the outside tires. What temperature sensor do you have? internal or external? Have you ever switched sensors to confirm it's not a bad sensor? Do you have an infra red light to read the actual temps? It just takes a walk around to check all of them with it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:16 PM   #3

Have you verified the temperature was actually high VS high temperature reading??
Old 10-06-2022, 07:23 PM   #4

Does the ehxaust pipe run near the hot tire ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:34 PM   #5

I checked the tire temperatures after running through Florida on my Tiffin 32 SA gasser. They measured between 96 and 105 Deg F. FWIW.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I was going down a very very very steep grade, had my exhaust brake on in 1st gear and still had to have the brake pedal pressed hard to the floor to keep the coach slowed down. I got to the bottom of the hill and my temp alarm went off on one of the front tires.
So braking can definitely cause higher temps.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:36 PM   #7

Temp sensors are all internal to the tires. I don’t have a temp gun in the coach but I do have one so I will check next time. It’s possible the outside of the tire won’t feel that hot compared to the inside. The fact the temp on that one was going up more than the others on the way to service makes me think it’s either a bad sensor, or the brakes hanging. Given the brake smell we get, I think they are hanging up so hopefully they will find that and fix it.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #8

I walk around my coach and lay my hand on each tire at most stops. Failsafe way of doing it, but does require washing your hands.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
If you have built in TPMS system by Freightliner, your tire temp at 105 PSI is set at 175 degrees. On a HOT day using your breaks frequently you can easily go above this. Ask me how I know.

I was on a 6 week tour out west temp outside was 100+ degrees. Forgot to turn on my exhaust break. Going down some steep grades, My TPMS started screaming. Both my inner dual tires hit a temp of over 240 degrees. I was at my destination and thought my back breaks some how locked up.

Next morning I took my coach to Freightliner, had everything checked out, everything was ok. Use your exhaust break.

PAM
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 02:45 PM   #10

About the hottest I have ever reached is 130 degrees on the two steer tires, going down the highway at 70+ mph in 110 degree AZ heat. My rear tires never go above 120 degrees.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:26 PM   #11

Update on this. Took the RV to the freightliner dealer and they did some test runs and it all looked ok on inspection. They did see some elevated temperatures but most important they replicated the brake smell in the cab. So they pulled all the wheels off the check all the brakes and said they were too tight, set to no more than 1/4Ē even thought they were not rubbing. They adjusted them to spec and the smell went away. Just took the coach on the same trip that triggered it last time (with a full water tank as they have no water at this race track) and no issues. So all fixed I believe. I suspect as they got hot from normal use they started to rub and then got excessively hot.

They did say they reset all the tire pressures to 120psi when they did they test and the tech on the phone said they set the tires to the correct pressure to do the road tests. These guys are supposed to know their stuff, but why do they always set the pressures so high? Based on the actual weights of my coach, which is under the maximum allowed, I only need about 102psi front and 97psi rear. However to have a little wiggle room as I donít have actually corner weights just axle weights, I run 105psi front and 100psi rear which according to the tire charts gives me like 1200# extra capacity on the front and rear axles pretty much so no way I need to run 120psi like they set them too. I felt every bump and road imperfection on the way home until I reset them the next day back to my normal settings.

No wonder they canít figure out how to get the software working to reprogram the TPMS system if they donít really understand tire pressure charts? My TPMS gets freaked if they are below 110psi (but one front tire is ok with 105psi? Doh). Freightliner said itís easy to change but they canít figure it out. Ugh.

Anyway original problem is all fixed but it bugs me they canít reprogram the TPMS like they are supposed to be able to do.
Old 10-14-2022, 12:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman2022 View Post
Update on this. Took the RV to the freightliner dealer and they did some test runs and it all looked ok on inspection. They did see some elevated temperatures but most important they replicated the brake smell in the cab. So they pulled all the wheels off the check all the brakes and said they were too tight, set to no more than 1/4” even thought they were not rubbing. They adjusted them to spec and the smell went away. Just took the coach on the same trip that triggered it last time (with a full water tank as they have no water at this race track) and no issues. So all fixed I believe. I suspect as they got hot from normal use they started to rub and then got excessively hot.

They did say they reset all the tire pressures to 120psi when they did they test and the tech on the phone said they set the tires to the correct pressure to do the road tests. These guys are supposed to know their stuff, but why do they always set the pressures so high? Based on the actual weights of my coach, which is under the maximum allowed, I only need about 102psi front and 97psi rear. However to have a little wiggle room as I don’t have actually corner weights just axle weights, I run 105psi front and 100psi rear which according to the tire charts gives me like 1200# extra capacity on the front and rear axles pretty much so no way I need to run 120psi like they set them too. I felt every bump and road imperfection on the way home until I reset them the next day back to my normal settings.

No wonder they can’t figure out how to get the software working to reprogram the TPMS system if they don’t really understand tire pressure charts? My TPMS gets freaked if they are below 110psi (but one front tire is ok with 105psi? Doh). Freightliner said it’s easy to change but they can’t figure it out. Ugh.

Anyway original problem is all fixed but it bugs me they can’t reprogram the TPMS like they are supposed to be able to do.
Tire load/inflation charts show the MINIMUM air pressure to support the corresponding load. This means the tire is operating at 100% capacity, it has no reserve
For example a car tire usually has around a 35% reserve capacity when inflated to the Federal Tire Placard, which BTW is required on every OTR vehicle.

Tire sidewall flex creates nearly all the heat in a tire, as pressure is lowered tire sidewall flex is increased.

Over 80% of all tire failures are the result of underinflation/overloading.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 04:18 PM   #13

My thoughts on tire temp monitors . Iíve drove a semi for 50 yrs, never knew the tire temp, never needed to
The monitors are good for low air pressure alert, donít over think it
kyfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 04:31 PM   #14

I’m with kyfarmboy. Don’t have all his experience, but just worried about pressure.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
temperature, tire