RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
For Tireman, My tag tires have less wear than the steers, should I rotate them to the steer position?
That's what I did after an alignment. If yours are like mine, you can't just swap positions due to wheel dish and it is impossible to clean up the opposite sides of the wheels, as both the steer and tag wheels would need to be flipped. I had to have the tires dismounted and remounted keeping the wheels in their original positions. Just more work.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 08:31 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
My tire wear is the same as yours,but at 23k.I just came from the alignment shop and the Toe-in was way way out of adj. Post #23 nailed it. It also made the handling of the Motorhome a lot better.
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #31

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I will try this, but the wear seems to be on both shoulders so I am still thinking underinflation. These were aligned at 15,000 miles, but I know alignment can get knocked out of whack. Thanks to everyone who responded.
OK and what is your measured load on each tire when loaded for normal travel, Tire size and Load Range info too please.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
My tire wear is the same as yours,but at 23k.I just came from the alignment shop and the Toe-in was way way out of adj. Post #23 nailed it. It also made the handling of the Motorhome a lot better.
Actually, one of the good things about the Ford chassis is the solid front axle will hold it's alignment unless the tie rod gets bent or parts wear out. If everything stays tight, alignment is 'one and done'.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #33

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Actually, one of the good things about the Ford chassis is the solid front axle will hold it's alignment unless the tie rod gets bent or parts wear out. If everything stays tight, alignment is 'one and done'.
Except what you get is a very large "Camber Curve" where the camber goes through an extreme range Positive to Negative. This can lead to high shoulder wear.

If someone thinks wear is due to low inflation I would ask what is your measured load on each tire position vs the Load & Inflation table stated inflation needed?
Old 11-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My owners manual says to run only the pressure on the Federal Weight sticker, which is what I do. The ride is great, probably due more to weight and length than the tire pressure.
I'm amazed at how cool the tires are when I check them, much cooler than my last rig running the pressure from the Michelin charts.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #35

He has a solid axle. The only thing that changes camber is bending it (which voids the warranty).
Old 11-27-2017, 05:30 PM   #36

Tire Wear

Quote:
He has a solid axle. The only thing that changes camber is bending it (which voids the warranty).

I had a solid front axel adjusted (bent) to adjust the camber and eliminate the tire wear. How can this void a warranty and how would anyone know? And only a 1-year warranty anyway?

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I had a solid front axel adjusted (bent) to adjust the camber and eliminate the tire wear. How can this void a warranty? And only a 1-year warranty anyway?
Every truck axle manufacturer has this policy. I have been told that the beam is not made to bend. I know that many alignment shops do this but it's frowned on by the axle engineers.
Over 30+ years I maintained hundreds of Class 8 trucks. I never bent an axle. OTOH, it's your RV, feel free to do whatever. I'm just giving you a heads-up.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #38

Tire Wear

Quote:
Every truck axle manufacturer has this policy. I have been told that the beam is not made to bend. I know that many alignment shops do this but it's frowned on by the axle engineers.

Yes, that's what the axel maker said to me.
My frame and alignment guy said bending is for fixing a flaw. I could either wear out steer tires every few 1000 or have it bent. So it was bent, and tire wear was gone.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:55 AM   #39

I have been reading about this class a accident with the guy going through the windshield where can I see the video I hear everybody talking about seeing the video I can't find it thanks for the help everybody be safe please thanks
64 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Yes, that's what the axel maker said to me.
My frame and alignment guy said bending is for fixing a flaw. I could either wear out steer tires every few 1000 or have it bent. So it was bent, and tire wear was gone.
Just think about how many heated and bent axles are out there. Engineers are probably worried about the heat taking the strength out of the steel. Or them taking the hit for something they did not recommend. I can see how this would be the case.

Q Spending our kids inheritance one trip at a time.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #41

Tire Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Just think about how many heated and bent axles are out there. Engineers are probably worried about the heat taking the strength out of the steel. Or them taking the hit for something they did not recommend. I can see how this would be the case.

Not heated! Simply bent. It WORKED. I won!
Let the engs take the heat. They earned it.