Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #15

Thanks for the links about posting pictures. I am trying again. Hopefully here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	183706  
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #16

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
My steer tires are starting to show slightly more wear along their edges than in the middle of the tire (47,000 miles). Not extreme, but noticeable if you look. Am I right that that indicates too low pressure? I have a compressor and can easily enough up the pressure from 95 to 100.
How often have you rotated the tires? Steer tires are asked to turn the vehicle and this extra side force "bends" and deflects tires sideways which results in the tread "rolling" a bit so the edge of the footprint gets more wear than if the tire is on the drive position.

While low inflation may lead to faster edge wear this is less of a concern with radials than with bias tires. Your chassis owner's manual has guidelines for tire rotation which is intended to even out the slightly faster center wear on the rears with the slightly faster edge wear of the shoulders in the steer position.

The early rotation mileage is MUCH more important to follow than in later miles as the rate of wear slows down as the tire gets more worn.

The guide may say "Every 5,000 miles" but I rotate at 3,500, 7,000 and 12,000 then 20k and not after that on my passenger car.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #17

IMHO that looks like under inflation more that anything else. While rotation will help I would still make sure it is not just an under inflated tire.

Respectfully submitted by Q

Spending our kids inheritance one trip at a time!
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #18

The wear looks like mine just before getting the alignment adjusted and replacing the steer tires. My issue was toe-in.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #19

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The wear looks like mine just before getting the alignment adjusted and replacing the steer tires. My issue was toe-in.
Yup Toe-In can definitely give faster shoulder wear on the outer rib.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #20

I am not a professional, but i would say alignment also. I had the same wear. It was an alignment issue.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #21

Ditto on the alignment.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #22

Rub your hand across the face of the tire in both directions. If it feels like each rib has a sharp edge in one direction but not in the other you have a toe problem.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #23

From my experience with hundreds of service and personal vehicle over the last 50 years, if the wear in the picture is only on the outer rib of the tire and the innermost rib does not show the same wear, it is most likely an alignment issue. However with 47,000 miles on the tires, the minor wear showing could be from the normal rolling of the tire in a turn. I had a similar wear, but the wear tapered across the tread. It was a toe in issue. If just the outer rib is worn, it isn't very much out of alignment.

Now if both edges of the tire are worn, it is an under inflation problem.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #24

Seems like 45-47K miles is the magic number for tire wear--at least GY anyway. Agree, once it gets started, its pretty hard to stop.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #25

For Tireman, My tag tires have less wear than the steers, should I rotate them to the steer position?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #26

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
For Tireman, My tag tires have less wear than the steers, should I rotate them to the steer position?
Sounds like a reasonable plan. IF YOU can confirm the tag tires have NEVER been run underinflated.

Steer tires are definitely the most critical. I wrote a blog post on rotating two tires a year into your tire situation starting at about year 5 or 6. The focus was on spreading out the hit on the wallet but it also kept the best (newest) tires on the front most of the time.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Rub your hand across the face of the tire in both directions. If it feels like each rib has a sharp edge in one direction but not in the other you have a toe problem.
I will try this, but the wear seems to be on both shoulders so I am still thinking underinflation. These were aligned at 15,000 miles, but I know alignment can get knocked out of whack. Thanks to everyone who responded.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #28

Thanks Tireman. We bought our coach in 2015 with tires dated 2010. One inside dual had a slow leak, replacing all valve stems with bolt-on metal stems solved that problem. Since I don't know more history, I guess I'll sit tight until we replace all rubber. Thanks!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote