Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2021, 09:28 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Tire wear question

33’ Class A on F53 chassis with 25k miles. Overall the RV drives pretty well, with no noticeable pulling or wandering. The outside tread of all tires appear to be wearing.

I plan to bring it in for an alignment but I’m a new owner and I’ll be going to a shop that I’m not familiar with so I’d like to try and educate myself before hand.

Is this kind of wear normal?

Sorry about the pictures, I can't figure out how to reorder or annotate them. They are in order: Passenger side steer, Rear Driver, Driver side steer and Rear Passenger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Passenger Front 2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	337580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Driver Rear 1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	337581  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Driver Front 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	337584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Passenger Rear 1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	337585  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 09:37 AM   #2

Underinflation is a good possiblity.
rjwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwilliams View Post
Underinflation is a good possiblity.
I had the same thought before seeing your reply. I always go by the sticker by the door and not a lower number based on weighing the coach unless the center is wearing faster.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
I had the same thought before seeing your reply. I always go by the sticker by the door and not a lower number based on weighing the coach unless the center is wearing faster.

Why wouldn't you go by the load inflation charts that are designed by tire experts to provide the best traction, control and wear?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:16 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bryan,
The fronts are "toed in" so alignment will fix this.
Have your tire shop turn the fronts inside out on the rim.
Throw in balance beads when they are open. You will never regret it.

The duals are low on air. Kick the pressure up 10 lbs from where you are now.
Monitor the results and report back on how they are wearing.

Clean a spot on the duals and put duck tape across the tread, and take a short drive. Check the tape for uneven wear.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

First of all, you don't have a significant problem with any tire. Fronts could benefit from an alignment and rears are probably slightly underinflated, but you could probably drive those tires until they age out (7-10 years) before the wear became a problem. Flyer15 gave advice for optimal tire life, but I'd just have fronts balanced and aligned, and check the pressure in the rears vs the tire placard recommendation. And sleep well at night!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:33 PM   #7

Hmmm, those are Michelin steer tires. The outside of the tread is slick like that. Measure tread depth across the tire before you decide you have a problem.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
First of all, you don't have a significant problem with any tire. Fronts could benefit from an alignment and rears are probably slightly underinflated, but you could probably drive those tires until they age out (7-10 years) before the wear became a problem. Flyer15 gave advice for optimal tire life, but I'd just have fronts balanced and aligned, and check the pressure in the rears vs the tire placard recommendation. And sleep well at night!

Correct. Looks like a toe in problem.
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:58 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
You guys are like tire whisperers . Thanks. I’ll add a balance to the alignment. Also found that the local tire shop can do 4 point weighing so I’ll get that taken care of also (and see how far off I was approximating).
Old 07-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Why wouldn't you go by the load inflation charts that are designed by tire experts to provide the best traction, control and wear?
If you are using the chassis maker's specified tires, you will find that the tire maker's chart will exactly coincide with the chassi maker's sticker inflation at the GAWR for each axle. Unless you are running well under your GAWRs, which is doubtful, you will not be much different. It is better to be overinflated than under inflated and I seriously doubt that people change tire inflation for changes in amounts carried in fuel, water, and sewer tanks.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:55 PM   #11

Please report back on the four point weighing. Remember that you may not have it fully loaded, so add ten psi to the recommended pressure on the load pressure chart for your tires. I do and never need to adjust them unless it gets to be within five psi of the recommended pressure. That way cold mornings, hot days, and altitude changes do not require pressure adjustments.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:56 PM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
If you are using the chassis maker's specified tires, you will find that the tire maker's chart will exactly coincide with the chassi maker's sticker inflation at the GAWR for each axle….
The sticker called for 90# on all tires and which does match Michelins load recommendations assuming full weight on all axles. I was originally running at 110 on steers and 100 on the rears based on the dealer’s recommendation (bought used). The ride was rough as heck. So I dropped it down to 95 on steers and 90 on the rears but I think that’s when the wear started to show. We’ll see what the tables call for once i get it weighed and how they wear after it’s aligned.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:43 AM   #13

Quote:
If you are using the chassis maker's specified tires, you will find that the tire maker's chart will exactly coincide with the chassi maker's sticker inflation at the GAWR for each axle. Unless you are running well under your GAWRs, which is doubtful, you will not be much different. It is better to be overinflated than under inflated and I seriously doubt that people change tire inflation for changes in amounts carried in fuel, water, and sewer tanks.
That may be true with some RV's, but not mine. My sticker called for 110 psi on all three axles. After weighing all six positions, I found that according to Michelins chart, I needed 115 on the steer, 85 on the drive, and less than 75 on the tags. So, by the sticker, I was underinflated on the steer and way overinflated on the rest. After adjusting to the correct chart pressures and 50,000 miles later, I had pretty even tire wear and a better ride. The manufacturers can be close some of the time, but the load/inflation chart is right ALL the time.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:43 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Wanted to wrap this discussion up and pass on a little something I learned.

First of all. You all were correct. Problem was toe. On weight and tire pressure, the total vehicle weight was 18560 (all equipment, full fuel & water but without my wife & I, food or clothes). LF = 3840, RF = 3380, LR = 5500, RR = 5840. They set the tires at 95# on front and 85# on back. Which gives us plenty of room for the extra weight.

Helpful tip: Apparently Michelin sizes are proprietary. So when you ask for sizes off your Michelin tires (eg 235/80R22.5/14 on mine) the brand that can match that size is Michelin. If you want to look for other near equivalent options you'll need to specifiy a different size. For mine it would be 245/75R22.5/14

Thanks again for all the help.

Tags
tire