Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Tire/wheel cover question

I will soon be getting new tires installed on my Class A. After writing the check to pay for them (gulp); I will be shopping for tire/wheel covers. Do the members of this forum have any advice? Do you have to crawl under your Rv to fish the binding strap from one side to the other. Is there a trick to that ? If I decide that black would look better than white, is there any problem with that? Any brands that you would recommend ? This is not a life threatening end of the world issue, but the knowledge of those that are assembled here is appreciated.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tire/wheel cover question

Hi Bob..... According to Tireman9 -- something of an expert in these things-- the MOST important thing is to cover them. The first culprit is UV, so anything that covers the tires from direct sunlight is good. The second factor is heat, so in theory at least, white covers would be more protective than black. However, my DW determined that since our coach is colored black and two shades of grey, in this case science is wrong. We sport black tire covers. Frankly, I don't think it makes a real big difference.

I never bother fastening the back cord. The fit in my case is snug enough that the covers aren't going anywhere. NOTE: if your front wheels have a center section that protrudes an inch or so and has lug nut covers sticking out farther, order the next larger size cover for these wheels to accommodate the fit. Also, most of these things are made of lined vinyl, so they tend to shrink a bit and get a little stiff in chilly weather. If you spend time in cold, you should consider this when determining what size to order.

Good luck!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree with JFXG. I also do not bother with the bungy strap. I live in VT and our winters are cold and breezy and I have yet to lose a cover due to the winds. I ordered mine from Amazon but the brand was Cameco. Mine are white and lined. Very happy with them.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #4

If you purchase the covers with the bungee cord/ball end/loop end, try putting your awning rod thru the loop up to the round end of the rod. Then fish the rod around behind the tire or between the duals. Works great.

Alternative: get the covers that have a springy rod sewn in. All you do is spread the rod enough to go over the tire and then let go after covering the tire.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wrote my license plate number and name along the bottom inside edge. Never used the bungee and the two times that one got caught in the wind it somehow found its way back to my door step. Now if only I could get them to reinstall when that happens that would be great.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #6

My tire covers have a long strap attached with velcro. I slide the cover in place and then toss the strap back under the RV. Next I use my awning rod to drag the strap to me and then secure end with velcro. Note: strap length can be fine tuned by placing a couple of knots in the strap.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I use the ADCO Part#3977 black tire covers on mine and I don't use the bungee cord. (those cords are very useful for other stuff by the way!) These have a soft backing that clings to the tire enough that wind doesn't blow them off. I just make sure the tire cover is OVER the top of the tire where the elastic is. I went through a microburst a year ago (70 mph per weather service) and they didn't move.

I have always used these tire covers on trailers and motorhomes and I believe in them. For the motorhome I find it easy to put them on if I don't dump the air, go outside and put them on, then dump the air and level. Just takes a few minutes. Once every 5 years when they start looking bad, I will buy a new set. Still work great but look faded and washing doesn't get all the crud off.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #8

I had covers made that snap on the outside of the coach. No more getting dirty and they look much much better !
Old 10-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
Alternative: get the covers that have a springy rod sewn in. All you do is spread the rod enough to go over the tire and then let go after covering the tire.[/QUOTE]
Thanks to all who replied. Nitehawk, I'm not having any luck with internet searches for "wheel covers that have a springy rod sewn in." Can you point me in the right direction?
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I just got these...Home | Magne Shade | Sunshade for RV, RV Shade, Installs from the ground, Magnetic Shade, Magnet Shade
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have been looking for tire covers and are considering this product - MagneShade's Tire Shade -- Does anyone have any experience with this? :
https://youtu.be/7cHoLjcu9w4
evolutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Cat320 - You were 10 minutes ahead of me on your post - How do you like them?
Old 10-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
A bit difficult to put on if the coach has dumped the air and is lower. My only real problem is it seems the 295s on the rear seem to be a slight bit small for the tire...315s on the front fit fine.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
A bit difficult to put on if the coach has dumped the air and is lower. My only real problem is it seems the 295s on the rear seem to be a slight bit small for the tire...315s on the front fit fine.
Thanks for the insight. We are probably going to try these on our new coach when it comes.