Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

Tires - 255/70R/22.5 to 275/70R/22.5? - Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37

Hello,
This is my first post so be gentle.

I have a 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37 DP that I just acquired. The tires are 15 yr old Goodyear G670 255/70R/22.5, so they have to be replaced ASAP. According to the sticker under the dash, this coach originally came with 245/75R/22.5s and has 7.5 inch rims (assuming the rims are original).

I have read a few hundred posts about tires on this and other forums but I'm still not sure I have satisfactory answers to my questions and there seem to be a lot of contradictory opinions.

There appears to be a consensus that there may be some advantages to going to a slightly larger tire. I'm considering going to a Michelin 275/70R/22.5, either XZE2 (Load range H) or XZA2 (Load Range J). The only reason I'm even looking at the XZA2s is because the XZE2s are not in stock locally and the wait for them would be weeks. If I decided to stay near the current tire size, I would probably go with the Michelin XRV 255/80R/22.5 (but there would probably be a long wait for those also).

So my questions:
1) Does anyone have any experience doing this size "upgrade" on this particular coach?
2) Are there really advantages to going up in tire size?
3) Will the Michelin XZA2 (18 ply) have a noticeably stiffer (harsher) ride than the XZE2 (16 ply)?

Thanks in advance for any comments you care to make.

--mike
cmduran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Reguardless of which you go with, make sure to check the DOT Date Code before you purchase.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mike....My 2005 Monaco Diplomat used the 275/70-22.5. Mine came new with Goodyear G670's. They were terrible tires and finally replaced them after several issues. I found that one of the few sizes that Hankook makes is the 275/70-22.5 (AH-12 model). They're a great tire, smooth riding and handling great. They're half the price of Michelin and Goodyear.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #4

Do you know the axle weights? That would help determine the load range (ply) tires. You probably want to get a tape measure near those rims to make sure how wide they are before settling on a tire. I ended up choosing Yokohama's after looking at Hankook, Toyo, Michelen, Firestones, Goodyears and many many others.
Finding out what was right for my coach was like taking on a new job. But I am really happy after putting 13k miles on them. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmduran View Post
Hello,
This is my first post so be gentle.

I have a 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37 DP that I just acquired. The tires are 15 yr old Goodyear G670 255/70R/22.5, so they have to be replaced ASAP. According to the sticker under the dash, this coach originally came with 245/75R/22.5s and has 7.5 inch rims (assuming the rims are original).

I have read a few hundred posts about tires on this and other forums but I'm still not sure I have satisfactory answers to my questions and there seem to be a lot of contradictory opinions.

There appears to be a consensus that there may be some advantages to going to a slightly larger tire. I'm considering going to a Michelin 275/70R/22.5, either XZE2 (Load range H) or XZA2 (Load Range J). The only reason I'm even looking at the XZA2s is because the XZE2s are not in stock locally and the wait for them would be weeks. If I decided to stay near the current tire size, I would probably go with the Michelin XRV 255/80R/22.5 (but there would probably be a long wait for those also).

So my questions:
1) Does anyone have any experience doing this size "upgrade" on this particular coach?
2) Are there really advantages to going up in tire size?
3) Will the Michelin XZA2 (18 ply) have a noticeably stiffer (harsher) ride than the XZE2 (16 ply)?

Thanks in advance for any comments you care to make.

--mike
Mike,
Well, I could tell a long, long story here about what I went through to "try" and find the original sized and type of tires for our coach recently. But, I'll make it short. We purchased our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT almost 7 years ago with fairly new, Michelin 255 80R 22.5s on it. They were dated 3410 at that time. I was new to the D/P world back then and was ecstatic that I had almost new tires on it and, they'd be around for what Michelin states, at least 10 years.

Well, fast forward 6 years. This coach, stays INDOORS 24/7/365 unless we're using it. The sun DOES NOT SEE THOSE TIRES unless we're using the coach. Those tires were all cracked around the entire side wall, on all of them. On a recent (last summer) trip, I was getting some really odd wear on my fronts. So, I started looking for tires, while on the trip.

You're looking for 255 "70R) tires. I was looking for 255 "80R" tires and, they were nowhere to be found. That's because, the 255 80R is a Michelin proprietary tire. Meaning, if you don't know, THEY'RE THE ONLY ONES THAT MAKE IT.

So, again, trying to make this story as short as possible but get the point across, while on the trip, I searched and searched for 255 80Rs and none to be found. I then started looking at tire comparison charts. In short, what I found was the Yokohama 265 x 75 x 22.5 was very, very close in size to that 255 Michelin. And, not only that but the load range was exact same and, the really good part, that Yokohama was/is around $200 cheaper, PER TIRE!!!!

I could get those Yokohamas waaaaaay more easily than the proprietary Michelins. So, guess which I bought? Yep, you guessed it, (6) brand new Yokohama RY 103, 265 75 22.5 tires, mounted and balanced (with beads) for right at $2,300 out the door!

Now, if you're dead set on Michelins, well, that's your choice and do what you think is best. If you've read as many tire threads as you say, you'll have read of lots of complaints on the Michelins and, many, many folks venturing out to other brands.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Reguardless of which you go with, make sure to check the DOT Date Code before you purchase.
That's good advice. I was thinking of not buying anything with a DOT code that was more than one year. Is that reasonable? Or too long?
Old 02-22-2018, 08:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Mike....My 2005 Monaco Diplomat used the 275/70-22.5. Mine came new with Goodyear G670's. They were terrible tires and finally replaced them after several issues. I found that one of the few sizes that Hankook makes is the 275/70-22.5 (AH-12 model). They're a great tire, smooth riding and handling great. They're half the price of Michelin and Goodyear.
I'm actually very much on the line between Michelin and Hankook. I've sure heard a lot of good things about Hankooks and almost nothing negative. And I've heard a lot of people recount horror stories about Michelin. Then someone else will say if you have the money, that Michelin is the way to go. The guy at the RV place where I got fluids and filters changed today had high praise for the Hankooks, but said that if money was no object, he would put Michelins on (and he wasn't selling tires). Then again, $200 less per tire is nothing to sneeze at, and money IS an object, but I'm 68, so these will probably be the only tires I will put on this MH.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
Do you know the axle weights? That would help determine the load range (ply) tires. You probably want to get a tape measure near those rims to make sure how wide they are before settling on a tire. I ended up choosing Yokohama's after looking at Hankook, Toyo, Michelen, Firestones, Goodyears and many many others.
Finding out what was right for my coach was like taking on a new job. But I am really happy after putting 13k miles on them. -Bill
Bill, I don't have any reason to believe that these are not the original rims which are 7.5", but you are right, I don't have those records, so I need to be sure that the original owner didn't change them when he went to a different size tire. Thanks for that advice. I think most of the info I need is on this sticker?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Holiday_Rambler 1998 Endeavor 37 sticker under dash_clip.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	193318  
Old 02-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Mike,
Well, I could tell a long, long story here about what I went through to "try" and find the original sized and type of tires for our coach recently. But, I'll make it short. We purchased our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT almost 7 years ago with fairly new, Michelin 255 80R 22.5s on it. They were dated 3410 at that time. I was new to the D/P world back then and was ecstatic that I had almost new tires on it and, they'd be around for what Michelin states, at least 10 years.

Well, fast forward 6 years. This coach, stays INDOORS 24/7/365 unless we're using it. The sun DOES NOT SEE THOSE TIRES unless we're using the coach. Those tires were all cracked around the entire side wall, on all of them. On a recent (last summer) trip, I was getting some really odd wear on my fronts. So, I started looking for tires, while on the trip.

You're looking for 255 "70R) tires. I was looking for 255 "80R" tires and, they were nowhere to be found. That's because, the 255 80R is a Michelin proprietary tire. Meaning, if you don't know, THEY'RE THE ONLY ONES THAT MAKE IT.

So, again, trying to make this story as short as possible but get the point across, while on the trip, I searched and searched for 255 80Rs and none to be found. I then started looking at tire comparison charts. In short, what I found was the Yokohama 265 x 75 x 22.5 was very, very close in size to that 255 Michelin. And, not only that but the load range was exact same and, the really good part, that Yokohama was/is around $200 cheaper, PER TIRE!!!!

I could get those Yokohamas waaaaaay more easily than the proprietary Michelins. So, guess which I bought? Yep, you guessed it, (6) brand new Yokohama RY 103, 265 75 22.5 tires, mounted and balanced (with beads) for right at $2,300 out the door!

Now, if you're dead set on Michelins, well, that's your choice and do what you think is best. If you've read as many tire threads as you say, you'll have read of lots of complaints on the Michelins and, many, many folks venturing out to other brands.
Scott
Scott - I really appreciate the thoughtful and detailed reply. I'm not dead set on the Michelins, and I am even less dead set now than I was a few hours ago when I started this thread. -mike
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
At one time Michelin had something like 90% of the MH tire market so you would naturally expect more problems to be reported.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #11

Mike,
You have time. Not only getting info on this forum but, there's reports and articles on tires, specifically RV tires, all over the net. Yep, there's plenty of Michelin fans still hanging on out there. That's ok, it's a free world, at least for now. But, I've read many, many good reports on Hancooks, Yokohamas, Toyos, Continentals, "double coin" (not sure about them) and a few others. I have Hancook Dynapro All-terrains 315 x 70 x 17s on my Jeep JKUR and, the same exact tire on my truck. And those have been outstanding both in mileage and longevity.

With the amount of bad reports vs the good reports on Michelins, and the fact that they cost considerably more than just about any other tire of equal size, and my personal experience with them, is way more than enough for me to hunt for other brands/models. Again, each person has to decide what's best for them. This "balancing bead" thing is a first for me. The jury's still out.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok not bashing any brand, had a 99 monaco 38ft DP it had 255/70/22.5 coach weight inficated that I was overloading the tires, went with 275/70/22.5 only 2mph error on speedo, better ride, I installed tyos, very happy no cracking after 9 years, outside socal desert.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Ok not bashing any brand, had a 99 monaco 38ft DP it had 255/70/22.5 coach weight inficated that I was overloading the tires, went with 275/70/22.5 only 2mph error on speedo, better ride, I installed tyos, very happy no cracking after 9 years, outside socal desert.
Thanks avfordguy - I guess that coach would be pretty close to mine, though I guess that would be a Roadmaster chassis? One of the things I wanted to be sure about was if I was going to have any clearance problems with the 275s. I guess you didn't, huh?
Old 02-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
At one time Michelin had something like 90% of the MH tire market so you would naturally expect more problems to be reported.
That's kinda what I was thinking. It seems like there would be some actual data out there somewhere and that someone would have done a statistical analysis of tire failure by brand.

Tags
holiday rambler, tires