Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2017, 05:59 AM   #1

TIRES !!

I have a 2008 Georgetown that we bought 3 yrs ago. 40,000 miles now. Original Michelin tires. Going in for inspection. One place says tires are fine. Another place says they won't pass an inspection if they're 6 yrs old. No matter how they look Confused. Don't wanna spend $2400 it I really don't need to. Opinions ??? Best price so far is $330 mounted and balanced. Toyo tires. By the way. I'm in NY
JDMacdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #2

I'm not aware of any state or federal regulation concerning age of tires, but I live in a state with no vehicle inspection whatever. Just for curiosity, did you challenge the inspection station to show you something in print that said nothing allowed over 6 years old?.

Michelin has recommendations for up to 10 years. Go to Manuals, Bulletins & Warranties | Michelin Truck then scroll down to "Service life for RV/Motorhome tires"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMacdaddy View Post
I have a 2008 Georgetown that we bought 3 yrs ago. 40,000 miles now. Original Michelin tires. Going in for inspection. One place says tires are fine. Another place says they won't pass an inspection if they're 6 yrs old. No matter how they look Confused. Don't wanna spend $2400 it I really don't need to. Opinions ??? Best price so far is $330 mounted and balanced. Toyo tires. By the way. I'm in NY
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Those are '07 or '08 tires on that '08 chassis. Michelin says RV tires need to be replaced after between 7 and 10 years no matter the mileage. Yours are 9 or 10 years old this year. The only way to be sure you're good for another year is to dismount them and do an interior inspection for dry rot and cracking. If you're going to spend the money to dismount and mount them again, you're probably better off replacing them if you expect to keep this RV for more than another year or two at most.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #4

Here is the NYS inspections website. They make no mention of tire age.

https://dmv.ny.gov/inspection/new-yo...-program-nyvip

With this, I would be thinking about changing the tires soon anyway. They may be 10 years old, on a 2008 MH.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:36 AM   #5

From Michelin literature on the subject:

It is impossible to predict when tires should be replaced based on their calendar age alone.
However, the older a tire the greater the chance that it will need to be replaced due to the
service-related evolution or other conditions found upon inspection or detected during use.
While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that
any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be
replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even
if they have not reached the legal wear limit.
For tires that were on an original equipment vehicle (i.e., acquired by the consumer on a
new vehicle), follow the vehicle manufacturer’s tire replacement recommendations, when
specified (but not to exceed 10 years).
The date when a tire was manufactured is located on the sidewall of each tire. Consumers
should locate the Department of Transportation or DOT code on the tire that begins with
DOT and ends with the week and year of manufacture. For example, a DOT code ending
with “0304” indicates a tire made in the 3rd week ( Jan) of 2004. (See back.)

Link to the full PDF: HERE
Note: this is from 2006

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They should be replaced, IMHO. If one blows out at speed there is not only the safety aspect but also a good chance it will cause collateral damage to the motorhome. The Toyo tires choice is a good one.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Story short, RV tires are replaced by age, not wear. Six years is an average number that many will agree with, even though some claim, as well as Michelin, that they can go 10yrs with close and professional monitoring.
To be on the safe side, don't wait much longer for replacing them, especially for those where the care history is unknown. Proper inflation, sunlight exposure, sitting for long periods, without jack support....etc....etc....
Also, no one thus far has been able to supply me with any superior engineering data of any particular tire brand, so for the price, I've come to like HERCULES and you might want to research this company and it's history.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Story short, RV tires are replaced by age, not wear.
Just want to point out that this is true most of the time, but not always. There are some people who put enough miles on to wear out a set of tires before they age out.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #9

I had original Michelins go over 8 years, in NY, never failed inspection. But at 8 1/2 I replaced them anyways due to age. The state inspection does not depend on age BUT an inspection station could declare them unsafe while another inspection station would let them go. In any case you will be hard pressed to find anyone telling you tires as old as yours are reasonable. Get them replaced.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #10

No way would I be trying to figure this out if it were my MH--replace the steers for sure. $2400 for the next 9-10 years is about $240-270/year.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #11

Quote:
If you have ever seen the damage a blow out will do on a coach, you will not take a chance with tires over five years. $2400. is nothing comparing to the damage a blow out causes.

My opinion! Change them!

Anybody keeping tires up to ten years is not very cerebral.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My Magna had late 2007 tires on it, I replaced them in Sept last year. The old tires looked great both inside and outside. By the time I got it out of the shop it was right at $8,000 but I had all tires balanced and new internal sensors for the SmarTire TPMS installed. Didn't like that but felt it was nevessary for peace of mind.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #13

My 1st blowout was at 6yrs old. I got rid of all the Goodyeears and put on Bridgestones, a grade tougher. It not fun hanging onto the steering wheel and hoping...... Changing out your old tires is the best investment in safety you can make for your family.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
While all these comments are interesting, they don't address the OP's question. Is there any state that requires tires be replaced once they reach a certain age?

Tags
tires