Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #1

Tires

What are the pros and cons for Toyo tires? I have a 45 ft newmar and eight new michelins are getting very expensive.
Stevever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2022, 12:36 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've never had Toyo's but I've heard a lot of positives about them. Even with an FMCA discount, the Michelin's are overpriced and they are famous for premature sidewall cracking. I swapped out Michelins for Bridgestones last year. I'm happy with those so far.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:45 PM   #3
PnK

Any thoughts on Yokohama tires? 2006 40ft Tuscany
PnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:57 PM   #4

What did you pay for your bridgestone's? And what size are they?
Stevever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:24 AM   #5
Decrepit Forum Advocate

There's literally thousands of comments/posts on the comparison between Michelin and Toyo on this forum for at least the past 15 years or even longer so I'd urge you to go back and take a look at some of the threads as there are interesting comments and with both pro-Michelin and pro-Toyo --and also comparing Michelin with other brands too.

It's a philosophical thing with many of us. I'll give you my take without going into a long dissertation that I typically do

Michelin is the OEM tire that most motorhome manufacturers have used for decades with Goodyear and Toyo being the other two. Michelin is the most ubiquitous tire used as OEM, however.

Michelin is a tier-one tire along with brands like Bridgestone and Goodyear. You will pay the most for those brands. There are many opinions and recommendations on tire brands here on the forum as can be expected. Some on the forum refuse to buy any tire other than Michelin as they believe that any other brand is compromising safety. I don't agree with that "opinion" but you can come to your own conclusion. Yes, Michelin is a great tire for use on a motorhome. It has a great reputation in the commercial trucking industry and is always top-rated. But you're going to pay for that NAME.

Me, I just as soon settle with a second-tier tire brand as you get an excellent tire for much less money. Toyo is the most popular replacement for OEM Michelins but I like Sumitomo and Yokohama also as most of their commercial truck tires are now manufactured in the U.S. (Tonawanda New York for many Sumitomo and Falken and West Point Mississippi for most all Yokohama commercial truck tires). Toyo, Sumitomo, and Yokohama are all companies that are subsidiaries and under the corporate umbrellas of companies headquartered in Japan. I also like Hankook that is a South Korean company. So those four brands are my favorites but there are other brands that will be just as safe and and also come close to if not meet the quality of Michelin.

Many have had that dreadful sidewall issue with Michelin. I also had a blowout with one of my OEM Michelinx because of a defect in the sidewall so I'm not a devoted fan to begin with. No, I don't believe that ONLY Michelin is safe. Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohama, Hankook, and many other second-tier brands come close if not meet the safety and reliability of Michelin for a lot less money. Again, you're paying for the NAME (and their related advertising costs) for first-tier tire brands like Michelin, Bridgstone, Goodyear, Continental, etc.

There was a huge controversy about OEM Toyo tires back in the late 1990s and early 2000 when Country Coach and National RV used them as OEM. There was a recall, lawsuits, and back-forth-blaming because Toyo tires were failing on Country Coach and National RV motorhomes. I believe it turned out to be the fault of the motorhome manufacture mis-specifiying the correct tire for the axle weight calculation and not due to quality issues with Toyo tires. Toyo pulled back their marketing strategy, however, and from that point on and to this day, do not specifically market tires for use on RVs.

So at any rate, my own opinion is to use Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohama, Hankook, or other second-tier brands for use on a motorhome rather than replacing the OEM Michelin with Michelin.

I don't want to use third-tier tire brands as those are mostly made up of manufacturers that are based in China (PRC) and choose not to knowingly give business to a company who has its corporate headquarters in the PRC. Some Chinese tires are quality products and are very competitively priced but I'd still prefer not to buy them. That's a personal preference, however. There are many who don't mind as Double Coin and Sailun are selling lots of tires in the commercial trucking industry here in the U.S. and are not having issues at all.

So again, all this is only my opinion. I prefer not to pay the premium prices for Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Continental, etc. They are good products but I don't want to pay extra for the name. My favorite brands again are Toyo, Sumitomo (Falken), Yokohama, and Hankook. Sumitomo and Yokohama commercial truck tires, again, are mostly now made in the U.S. and all four brands --and many others-- will cost less than Michelin with close to or equal quality and engineering as Michelin and will be just as safe. Michelin is a high quality tire but there are others that can meet or in some cases exceed the safety record of Michelin.

This is only my own opinion, however. Many here will disagree but you have to gather all the opinions you see here make your own decision. If you come to the conclusion that Michelin does offer more for the money and is worth paying the premium, by all means, there's nothing wrong with that decision. I choose not to, however.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:26 AM   #6

Just put two Toyo M154’s on my Baystar Sport. Look good, ride good. The ones mentioned above are all good tires. Taking good care of them will help them last longer and give good service.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:51 AM   #7

Some say Toyo tires have a bad smell for the first several months. It may not matter unless you park inside.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevever View Post
What did you pay for your bridgestone's? And what size are they?
Sorry for the delay in responding. Tire size is now 245/75R22.5. I paid $2732 out the door. This was a year ago so I suspect that everything is now higher.

I believe the original tire size was 235/80R22.5 The place where I purchased them wanted me to be sure the different size would fit and not rub against anything.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:45 AM   #9

I went with the Toyo's I had a mis match in tires (3 different brands) when I purchased my RV used. I replaced all 6 with brand new Toyo's. They have a great ride on them and are quite.

I did have a set that was installed first that had a vibration that we couldn't get rid of, Les Schwab Tires where I purchased them from tried to balance them a few times but it would vibrated doing more than 50 mph. They ended up swapping all 6 as they couldn't figure out what one was out of round. (Great Customer Service!!)

New Set Rides perfectly.
briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:55 AM   #10

Installed Toyo M154 tires on our Bay Star in 2018 and they have worked out very well. The Bay Star is our first MH so I don't have any other experience with MH tires. The Toyos did have a smell for a month or so. It wasn't bad and you had to be fairly close to the tire to smell it, and it wouldn't keep me from buying another set when the time comes.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Replaced all 6 of my Michelins with Toyo 154's. We believe since the change the ride has improved. We are pleased with the ride and in the process we saved a boatload of money vs the Michelins
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #12

I ran Sailun's (19.5) on our old 2007 Jayco Seneca 33ss for over 30K and they looked almost new when we traded.
I now run Sailun's (22.5) on our "new to us " 2004 Pace Arrow 37c and have about 22K on them. They ride quiet and have good wet traction, and are reasonably priced. Balance beads work well on our coach, and she rides like glass.

Mike in Colorado
Old 05-18-2022, 11:16 AM   #13

So, a few months ago, I am sitting on the side of the road with a dead Michelin tire. I can’t go shopping for one and the guy brings a Hercules Ironman tire. It seems to ride nice and I think I may replace the other Michelin with the Ironman. The price of the tire was not bad at all. The price came up with the mounting. No balance, so I am thinking another tire and both balanced might just work for me. I have four Toyo’s on rear.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #14

I used Michelin all the time. Then I purchased this new to me Class A and it had the original GoodYear tires. They were nine years old and I replaced them with Toyo tires. They are used by others in my local group and I find them to be every bit as good as the Michelin tires, and they will not crack like the Michelin tires.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires