Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2018, 05:45 AM   #1

Tires and the ride

Okay, new member and new pusher owner. A couple of questions about tires.

Is there a noticeable difference in the ride between high end (expensive) tires and budget tires?

Do you all rotate and balance tires between changes?

I ask this because I don't think my ride is perfect, kind of feels like a tire is not balanced but that is at 65 to 70 otherwise its all good.

Thanks for your input
lockinload is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #2

Can't answer the first part of your question about "budget tires". To me tires are very important safety items, so I only buy nationally known brands.

No you normally don't need to rotate tires from one position to another like in a car, but tire balance is very important. There are many ways to balance a tire from the old fashion lead weights (this is what I use) to ceramic beads, powders and rings that bolt to the inside of the wheels.

Also tire pressures are extremely important for safety and ride. Start by looking at the weight certificate that should be attached probably near the driver's area for recommended tire inflation pressures. Then when you get a chance, and your coach is normally loaded, get the coach axles weighed at a commercial scales. Using this weight you can easily calculate the proper inflation pressures.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
On my previous gas coach the difference between Sumitomo & Toyo tires was substantial. Toyo was much better
Old 07-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I use balancing beads in all tires. I do not rotate tires.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have never rotated tires on an RV and I have my tires spin balanced, or at least I paid to have it done.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #6

As has been said. Pick a good quality tire and have them balanced and get an alignment. Keep them inflated to the recommended psi for their load and run them for 6-7 years. Then do it all over again. No need to rotate. Keep them clean and covered when not rolling down the road. I would not go with a Chinese tire.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you're dealing with quality tires the riding comfort is nearly equal. I've had Michelin, Bridgestone and now Yokohama tires and the only difference I see is so slight.
I have never rotated tires. First off the front and rear wheels are different and in some coaches the tire size is also different. You generally rotate tire so they wear evenly. You will not wear out RV tires. Unless it's some kind of a quest.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #8

I had a combination of OEM Goodyear 275/70R22.5's and Sumitomo.....just made the plunge and got all 6 new Michelin's and IMMEDIATELY could tell a difference in ride quality and road noise just going back home from the Tire Dealer, can't wait to try them out on the road!
Bzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see any difference among the major brands. The tire tread pattern may make a noise difference, but only if you get into some of the more aggressive treads or ultra-high mileage tires. Most any tire designed for regional delivery use will perfrom well on a motorhome.

In my opinion, those who change tire brands and find a major improvement probably got some other problem corrected along with the change, e.g. inflation or balancing. But I know the Michelin fans won't agree with me...

I've never found a need to rotate tires on a motorhome unless there was some alignment problem that damaged a tire and I wanted to move it elsewhere after fixing the problem. Preventive rotation on a motorhome is a waste of money and effort, in my opinion.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
I've been running Michelins for years and had them balanced upon installation. I keep them covered and they still get sidewall cracks after about 5/6 years. I also had the coach weighted and run the appropriate air pressure plus 5 lbs for safety. My next set will be Hankooks which are lots less expensive. I have used Hankooks on my Jeep and usually get 60k plus miles out of them with zero problems. They might sound a little louder when they wear down but I have hard time hearing anyway according to my wife. I believe any of the regional truck tires are good and ride well. I believe most ride comfort is attributed to the shocks anyway.
Drive safe and keep it between the ditches !!
Travel Supreme #40DS01-ISL-400
Jeep Sahara Unlimited-2010
gptexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. Pretty much what I expected but ya never know.
lockinload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #12

Welcome to the forum!

Tags
tires